To iPhone or not to iPhone?

ClayMeow

I currently use just a standard camera phone with no data plan. My contract is up and my boss wants me to get a phone with email support and web access.

I'm currently on Verizon, and if the iPhone was on Verizon, I'd get that in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I can't wait a year plus for that to (possibly) happen.

Years ago, when I was on AT&T, I couldn't even get reception in my house (one of the main reasons I switched to Verizon at the time). Times have changed, so hopefully things have improved, but I do know that Verizon has better coverage in the Metro-NY area, so coverage-wise, Verizon would be the best bet. So is the iPhone really worth hopping to AT&T? I can get email access on a blackberry or other smartphone, so the only thing the iPhone truly offers are the apps, and since this is primarily for business, the only app that'd be really useful is the Remote Desktop App.

Verizon doesn't offer the BB Bold, so it'd be the choice of the BB Tour or BB Storm, the latter of which I know had problems at launch, and I can't exactly wait 'til the end of the year for the new version.

Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can not judge the AT&T part of it, but the iPhone is simply awesome! Here in Germany it's on T-Mobile, which is THE network, it simply works and it works everywhere. If AT&T sucks that bad, I suggest you check out some Blackberrys or the new Palm Pre?

Can you wait until January? The Palm Pre is the first phone to be beating the iphone in their current (updated firmware on both phones) status. It is only on Sprint now, but it will be going to AT&T as well as Verizon in January. Definitely worth the wait, Palm bet it's ENTIRE future on the Pre and it has turned out amazingly. It is the EXACT same hardware as the iPhone 3G S other than the screen, which is the same resolution but smaller in size which equals better quality. The battery life is the same in real world tests, and the Data rate is better on the Pre. Check out the review on www.AnandTech.com over the pre-update Pre. They have iPhone 2G vs iPhone 3G vs iPhone 3GS vs Pre, it is definitely worth the read, just search Pre on their site :)

Edited by Geekspeak411

Years ago, when I was on AT&T, I couldn't even get reception in my house

That must of really sucked. While on that note, does it not mainly depend in the area you live in?

I personally enjoy AT&T. I dont think I have ever not had signal since I got my Iphone. Even when traveling across Texas I get signal while in the middle of corn fields :P and now that I have an Iphone, I can even vouch for the 3g speeds, being on the internet in the middle of no where/traveling always keeps me from being bored.

I love my Touch Pro myself, don't need an Iphone with this much customization ;) (Sprint here, but I think the Touch Pro can work on nearly any network, and usually has different names)
Yes, the HTC Touch Pro is available on Verizon, but some of the reviews I read weren't exactly glowing :/

Can you wait until January? The Palm Pre is the first phone to be beating the iphone in their current (updated firmware on both phones) status. It is only on Sprint now, but it will be going to AT&T as well as Verizon in January. Definitely worth the wait, Palm bet it's ENTIRE future on the Pre and it has turned out amazingly. It is the EXACT same hardware as the iPhone 3G S other than the screen, which is the same resolution but smaller in size which equals better quality. The battery life is the same in real world tests, and the Data rate is better on the Pre. Check out the review on www.AnandTech.com over the pre-update Pre. They have iPhone 2G vs iPhone 3G vs iPhone 3GS vs Pre, it is definitely worth the read, just search Pre on their site :)
Well like I said, my Verizon contract is up, and my bro (I'm on a family plan) would like to get a new BB, so we'd have to renew either with or without me, so now's the time to drop.

Also, my office is moving locations, and that's one of the reasons my boss wants me to get mobile email/web access....because now I'll actually have a "real" commute, plus we won't have an on-site network guy anymore. The move is most likely happening at the end of this month.

That must of really sucked. While on that note, does it not mainly depend in the area you live in?

I personally enjoy AT&T. I dont think I have ever not had signal since I got my Iphone. Even when traveling across Texas I get signal while in the middle of corn fields :P and now that I have an Iphone, I can even vouch for the 3g speeds, being on the internet in the middle of no where/traveling always keeps me from being bored.

Yes, it absolutely depends on the area, and that's the problem. Most Metro-NYers will tell you that Verizon is the best in the area. That's not to say AT&T is horrible, but Verizon just has more coverage and "stronger bars" in most places around Metro-NY. Our new location will be in Long Island City, which is right outside Manhattan. I haven't been there yet, so I don't even know what kind of coverage Verizon gives in that specific area, let alone AT&T.

I love my Touch Pro myself, don't need an Iphone with this much customization ;)

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (also made by HTC) and just being to integrate my contacts from Windows Live, Outlook, and Facebook is awesome... I don't know why people don't like Windows Mobile (if they use Windows)... I'm running WinMo 6.5 and it's much more useful to me than alternative OSs... also I'm running Leo4 front-end which is the slick interface from the HTC Touch etc

If you can get a HTC phone, I'd recommend checking them out

Yes, the HTC Touch Pro is available on Verizon, but some of the reviews I read weren't exactly glowing :/

Because outta the box it isn't the greatest phone but if you goto a site called PPCGeeks, you can make it into a REALLY great phone.

If you really want to be in touch with your hardware and like tweaking things, get the Touch Pro. If just want a phone that's easier to use, then by all means grab the Iphone. I like getting mediocre products and making them succeed higher priced or "better" products. Ironically my phone still has a better camera than the Iphone 3GS has....

I have a Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (also made by HTC) and just being to integrate my contacts from Windows Live, Outlook, and Facebook is awesome... I don't know why people don't like Windows Mobile (if they use Windows)... I'm running WinMo 6.5 and it's much more useful to me than alternative OSs... also I'm running Leo4 front-end which is the slick interface from the HTC Touch etc

If you can get a HTC phone, I'd recommend checking them out

I agree Windows Mobile is so underrated, it just takes some tweaking here and there. Get the right custom 6.5 ROM and it's great.

Edited by IVIYTH0S

As you know, Farrah and I love our iPhones. I had the 1st gen and upgraded to the 3GS while Farrah has the 3G. My experience with AT&T is that they are either great or horrible.. usually no middle ground. If Verizon were to get the iPhone next week, I'd drop AT&T in a flash and pay the early termination fees. It's strange though, because when it was Cingular I had no complaints what-so-ever.

Of course, I cannot speak for AT&T service in the NY area. Though AT&T service has pretty much been the same from Memphis to Myrtle Beach for me. This may be helpful: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09...new_jersey.html

AT&T does offer free WiFi to iPhone users at Starbucks, some McDonalds, and Barns & Noble, and a few other places which can make up for the crappy service. This is something that I make use of frequently, which I supose helps offset the large fees for text + data.

Keep in mind, AT&T currently does not offer tethering or MMS on the iPhone, even though the feature works on just about every other iPhone carrier. This is just another one of those examples, of how AT&T service can blow at times. It is supose to be coming "this summer" and we are quickly approaching the end of that.

"stronger bars"

The number of bars us a useless indicator. There is no standard for what it represents, varies from carrier to carrier and phone to phone.

Hmm if the Palm Pre is moving on to AT&T and Verizon I might just wait till January. With so many good phones comming out its hard for me to decide what to get. Some Thought has gone towards the Touch Diamond Pro (Aka. HTC Fuse), Different varieties of Android phone, iPhone, and Palm Pre. Suppose I'll wait to January and go to AT&T and try a bunch of phones out. Word is they are supposed to be getting android phones but I been hearing nasty rumors of severely locked down android phones on AT&T and even so much so that they aren't even to be referred to as android phones.

AT&T does offer free WiFi to iPhone users at Starbucks, some McDonalds, and Barns & Noble, and a few other places which can make up for the crappy service. This is something that I make use of frequently, which I supose helps offset the large fees for text + data.

That's why I love Sprint so much, our 3G is comparable to Wifi, I turn wifi on my phone sometimes and get the same speed as my phone's 3G so I just stick with the 3G :lol:

I want to see how nice an Iphone would be on Sprint, I just would never drop Sprint for the Iphone (especially since I'm so happy with my Touch Pro)

Edited by IVIYTH0S