Downgrade from Vista to XP?

lost

I have an Extensa 4620Z laptop.

Intel Dual Core T2310 @ 1.46

2GB Ram

now i'm wondering if I downgrade to XP, will I see an increase in performance with the sytem? faster bootup? more fps on some games

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Extensa 4620Z laptop.

Intel Dual Core T2310 @ 1.46

2GB Ram

now i'm wondering if I downgrade to XP, will I see an increase in performance with the sytem? faster bootup? more fps on some games

Depends on what you're looking for - I believe XP still has an upper hand with some programs, but that list is really decreasing with the constant fixes to Vista, and not to mention Windows 7 being right around the corner.

Boot-up depends on more than just the OS itself; that's dependent on the hard drive (it's rotational speed, cache, etc...)

These days Vista has come a long way, and with Service Pack 2 there's really no reason to go back to XP because most of it's stability issues and otherwise have been widely addressed.

i dont know, for me i moved from vista to xp 64 and all my issues have gone away and i never looked back, by issues i mean the famous atikmdag.sys (for ati cards) bsod error. Never once have i gotten that on xp. I couldnt be happier w/ xp.

Keeping vista wouldn't be the smart thing to do. I'd just go for windows 7, its basically vista but fast like xp.

A 1.46 ghz processor will not run very fast with vista.

Edited by l33t p1mp

Keeping vista wouldn't be the smart thing to do. I'd just go for windows 7, its basically vista but fast like xp.

A 1.46 ghz processor will not run very fast with vista.

this isn't mac osx, the computer will run great as long as it has 4GB of memory. My friend has a 1.6ghz, 2GB, and vista and it runs just fine.

4GB pleases it just fine

Ive just switched from vista business 64,to XP 64,and the speed increase is phenomanal.XP task manager says 24 processes after a fresh install.Vista says 45-50.You decide.

Ive just switched from vista business 64,to XP 64,and the speed increase is phenomanal.XP task manager says 24 processes after a fresh install.Vista says 45-50.You decide.

Well, it's a fresh install, lol.

Well, it's a fresh install, lol.

:withstupid: And # of processes means nothing. Sorry, check every OS question thread here and I don't think you'll find anyone recommending XP64 over Vista64.

:withstupid: And # of processes means nothing. Sorry, check every OS question thread here and I don't think you'll find anyone recommending XP64 over Vista64.

Not only is XP 64 a bad choice, but XP in any version. Microsoft has already said there going to stop supporting XP.

"No more updates" . If any thinks moving backwards is good I would go with Win 98 se. :thumbs-up:

Then your computer would be flying. :blink: Old school :lol:

Uhm my cents. I dont recommend xp 64 over vista 64. Not at all. But XP 32 bit will appear run better then vista 32. It will seem more responsive and dont let anyone tell you any different. Also i have both vista 32 and XP 32. keep trying to find reasons to load vista. Pretty much all i do is update it then back to XP. And vista runs perfect on my system. It even loads vista quicker. I can go from boot to the internet way faster on vista then my xp which is on a faster drive. But I have no idea why i just prefer to run XP. I thought after my upgrade i would use vista more. NOPE! still no reason for vista. I even prefer the crysis DX10 hack over the real DX10. So i really can tell you, as of now, still there is no reason for me to have vista, but i bought it and its pretty. You could Try the windows 7 beta RC thing http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

Its free and supposed to be even quicker then vista. Maybe you might like it. I think you get to keep it for a year, I think someone told me that? Any way If you like XP there is no reason not to have it. Even if M$ dont officially support it anymore. Let me tell you, XP isnt goin away anytime soon. THEY HAVE PUT XP MODE into windows 7 now. That says a lot