Google Chrome

Phil

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I set Firefox to delete everything after I close it, even cache.

It can't be the my connection or the school's connection as I did them 5 seconds after each other. I did both of them uncached.

I'm not saying its extremely slow, it just lags behind by 1 - 1.5 seconds. No extensions = no conversion.

Here is another Benchmark showing that Firefox does load Java faster. Link 1 Link 2

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Google Chrome does look promising, but its not quite there yet to be able to replace Firefox for me.

Depends on the OS, benchmark, and hardware used...but Chrome is faster then FF more often then not.

sunspider.png

XP on a Mac Mini isn't exactly your typical configuration! :lol:

I think it's saying whatever you post or view. You give Google the rights to do whatever they want with it. They can change it and repost it and etc. That's what I think it says. I'm was confused when I first read it.

Yeah, that makes sense. It probably gives them rights to photos you upload to Picasa Web Albums, posts in Google Groups, etc... It's a little scary when you think that Gmail is a "service".

Depends on the OS, benchmark, and hardware used...but Chrome is faster then FF more often then not.

XP on a Mac Mini isn't exactly your typical configuration! :lol:

I'm guessing your right, I had to run it myself. Chrome does run faster on the majority of Java types. I didn't know there was more than one.

My college website must be using one of the few Java types that runs faster on Firefox. Question is which java type is used the most.

My Chrome Benchmark with SunSpider

My Firefox Benchmark with SunSpider

Not sure what a "XP on a Mac Mini isn't exactly your typical configuration!" has to do with anything though.

Edited by Krazyxazn

i liked how it makes my monitor feel bigger by removing that lower bar.. never used that before anyways. nice and sleek and you just sling ur mouse to the top of the monitor to click on tabs.

IE 8 Beta has this. I've heard of other browsers having this but I'm not sure. But I don't think this feature will draw many users over from IE since the new IE will have it.

The 'incognito' feature on IE8 beta2 does not work, it does write data to disk, so unless they change it Chrome is the winner on this feature at present. I have tested Chrome with a forensic toolkit and the only traces of the browsing I carried out were stored in active memory - as soon as the machine was shutdown, all traces were removed.

INPRIVATE BROWSING; FANCY OR FLAWED?

For those of you that didn’t catch it on the wire, Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 was released this week. As a forensic examiner I have a natural interest in any product released to the general public that is expected to see wide usage. Internet Explorer is one those products. What caught my attention was new functionality called “InPrivate Browsing”.

Here’s what Microsoft has to say about this functionality: “InPrivate Browsing prevents Internet Explorer from storing data about your browsing session. This includes cookies, temporary Internet files, history, and other data” . Ouch, when implemented right a feature like that could wreak havoc to us forensic dudes, so one could be inclined to think But did Microsoft implement it correctly?

Initial tests we conducted show it didn’t, which is strange. Didn’t it state that this function prevents data from being written? Well, it doesn’t, which is good for us forensic folk, but bad for you if you trust this feature to provide you with your desired level of privacy.

I browsed several sites using the InPrivate function, used several search engines and to top it of logged into my online (SSL protected) banking website and transfered my monthly rent. Traces of this activity were easily recovered from the disk using both a simple Hex editor, Pasco and FTK.

It’s true some records are not written to the index.dat history file, namely the host records. This results in the user seeing an empty history overview in the browser. However, all other records related to a visit to a specific website are written to the index.dat file. Keep in mind that most websites are built-up of tens of separate webpage elements, filling up the Index.dat file quickly.

What’s worse, in contrary what Microsoft states, the temporary Internet files cache is used, files are written to disk and after closing the browser the cache is not automatically cleared/deleted. Oopsss. Unless I use the clear cache option at the end of my browsing session it’s all there.

Of course it would still be fairly easy to recover the cached files using carving techniques, but one could argue that this is not something a regular user would or could do. I disagree. Just a simple Google query in search for data recovery tool yields almost 1.5 million results. We’re not talking quantum physics here.

Microsoft plays down the story, stating that the privacy of regular users is protected, at least against other regular users. Maybe so, but I would not rely on this feature too much until we know more.

On a side note: I did find information about the wire transfer (my monthly rent), which surprised me. And in case you are wondering, the traces were not part of the pagefile but located in freespace.

I’m not done with IE8, expect an update when I’ve had some more time to chew on this.

Source

i liked how it makes my monitor feel bigger by removing that lower bar.. never used that before anyways. nice and sleek and you just sling ur mouse to the top of the monitor to click on tabs.

Uh....that's called the status bar, and you can turn that off in Firefox, IE and Safari...and I like that better, having the OPTION to do so, and not being forced.

At first glance I loved it, its very pretty and sleek...but under the nice exterior...

I have to agree with a lot of people when they say they don't really give u a choice...they just have something that way and that's it..like the status bar

It is extremely buggy with hotmail, it takes no less than 2 perfect typed password fails before it suddenly allows it, at first I thought it was a hotmail error but I went to hotmail on IE and password worked 1st time no problem, I closed IE and reopened chrome, took me 4 times, it is a very weird bug to say the least

I uninstalled it.

I'm comfortable in my FF/Opera/Netscape rut, and like my extensions, mouse gestures, etc. I have no real issue with the speed of those browsers.

But what got me was GoogleUpdater.exe. I had it disabled in Services, (I think it came with Google Earth), but with Chrome it was always running. Other Google apps, like Picasa, let you shut it off in "Options", but I could find no such choice in Chrome. That may change out of beta, but for now it's too intrusive for me.

The first thing I tried to do is copy the URL from a textbox on the sunspider page. It wouldn't let me select all, then when I tried to highlight it, random bits of text from the page were included.

I don't like it. It's too Mac meets Google by way of 1984 for me.