Google Chrome

Phil

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a fellow opera user, I don't see this adding much to my current experience. Opera has quick launch (speed dial) and can search google from the address bar etc.

It seems to be a lot like Opera. which is fine but then I have to ask why do we need it. except for the separate processes

Been messing around with it and find it very fast, but what is good (if you are that way inclined?), is that it can leave no trace when you shut it down - no history, no cache so anonymous browsing. A lot of husbands are gonna use it I reckon....

Try out 'Open in ingognito window' it sits in active memory only, so when you shut your machine down, it's all gone!

IE 8 Beta has this. I've heard of other browsers having this but I'm not sure. But I don't think this feature will draw many users over from IE since the new IE will have it.

Pros

- Greying out of the "extraneous" stuff in a URL is an interesting touch.

IE8 Beta is greying out everthing but the site name as well. Kind of cool but I wish it were a preference setting. (i didn't see it as one.

It's not bad but I have some issues that may get fixed later or are options I just didn't find. This is a short list as I didn't want to repeat what others have said

Cons

- doesn't have my firefox extensions (Adblock, NoScript, downloadstatusbar, webdeveloper toolbar) (maybe they will get these later but for now it won't be my primary browser)

- (ignore this it's an option I found) bookmarks toolbar doesn't show all the time, only when you open a new tab. It's an extra click to get to somewhere.

- cookie options seem limited. (how do I "allow for session". the options seem to be "none", "all", or "no 3rd party". Why can't I have it ask me everytime what to do with a cookie)

Pros

- more screen real estate. Just compare the size of the address bar to other browsers and it has a much thinner toolbarsetup. Of course this is partly due to the bookmarks not always showing.

I don't see me using this browser as my primary. In fact I would rather see FF get on the tabs as a process idea then I don't have to worry about it.

So far so good. It works pretty well. Firefox 3 has been giving me problems in Vista with random crashes and web pages that auto refresh. I still use firefox mainly even with the crashes. I don't like IE7 all that much.

EDIT: Further testing, it does not load pages any faster than Firefox. Some pages actually load slower than on Firefox. My college site is java based and it loads quite a bit slower on Chrome, but it hasn't crashed while using the site yet. Unlike Firefox were it would crash every once in a while. This won't be replacing Firefox for me.

Loading is limited to your connection (and the load at the other end) more than anything. Chrome is incredibly faster with the actual processing of Java and it's much faster at bringing up cached pages as well.

Firefox has that same option for bookmarks, I set my browsers clear out my history and temp files after I exit the browser. So, idk if Firefox does the same thing for your history.

Glad it imported all my Firefox stuff. Miss my extensions though. Will test this browser later on some java and flash based sites, that cause Firefox to crash or slow down.

I noticed sometimes when I close tabs, the browser freezes. I have to minimize it through the taskbar and click it again for it to unfreeze.

EDIT: Further testing, it does not load pages any faster than Firefox. Some pages actually load slower than on Firefox. My college site is java based and it loads quite a bit slower on Chrome, but it hasn't crashed while using the site yet. Unlike Firefox were it would crash every once in a while. This won't be replacing Firefox for me.

It is most def faster then FF, and it also may have dethroned my current browser, Opera, as well. Its java at least is clearly faster.

You were probably comparing your cached FF sites to new uncached Chrome sites.

Overall I like it, and it is amazing for a BETA. Not sure weather I prefer it over Opera but I will give it more time.

Whoah...I love this. I still like firefox more because I am used to the scheme etc etc, but chrome is very nice looking, has NO lag (my rig also helps with the lag lol), and is better than all the other crappy browsers out there.

It is most def faster then FF, and it also may have dethroned my current browser, Opera, as well. Its java at least is clearly faster.

You were probably comparing your cached FF sites to new uncached Chrome sites.

Overall I like it, and it is amazing for a BETA. Not sure weather I prefer it over Opera but I will give it more time.

Nope, I set Firefox to delete everything after I close it, even cache.

Loading is limited to your connection (and the load at the other end) more than anything. Chrome is incredibly faster with the actual processing of Java and it's much faster at bringing up cached pages as well.

It can't be the my connection or the school's connection as I did them 5 seconds after each other. I did both of them uncached.

I'm not saying its extremely slow, it just lags behind by 1 - 1.5 seconds. No extensions = no conversion.

Here is another Benchmark showing that Firefox does load Java faster. Link 1 Link 2

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Google Chrome does look promising, but its not quite there yet to be able to replace Firefox for me.

Edited by Krazyxazn