Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

I agree how can a 50w TEC cool a CPU that is rated for 75w TDP. But still the 25w shouldn't make a huge difference as in negate the effect of TEC.

Actually in order for a TEC to actually cool a CPU it has to be somewhat higher than the TDP of the chip. The only way I see it working is if the one half of the heat sink cools well enough to lower the TDP that reaches the TEC.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my understanding it is the units operating temp...How are your temps on the naked mobile so far?

So far, good I would say. I'm down to x9 multi trying to get 2700MHz. stable

@ 1.425 V. 113% a bit over 1.6V on MBM5 durring prime 95. Temp. is hovering around 54 C.

Damm just failed prime again This chip so far refuses to do 2700MHz. 2699MHz

ok, 1MHz. increase and it buckles I've tried x11 down to x9

the board is currently running on x3 multi and the mem. is set on a divider that keeps it out of the mix.

The TEC's temp, not the CPUs. AFAIK

How did you mount it on a naked CPU without bottoming out on the mobo? Pics?

3400clawxv4.jpg

Pretty simple slapped the copper spacer between the core and the monsoon heatsink and gently snugged it down.

Oh, yeah Oldguy offered one of those to me. I still have the IHS to my CPU, so if it came down to it I'd just reattach that. I have a Thermaltake Tower 112 (awaiting mounting bracket) and a Tuniq Tower 120 on the way, so I'll probably just whichever one of those performs better for me.

It’s definitely the temperature of the TEC.

There are two metal plates on both sides of the TEC. Both the plates have heat pipes (hot side and cold side). So the lower plate is what's on the TEC's display (cold side). This is also cooling the front side of the HS - touch the front HS, close to the fan then compare it to the back side (hot). So the TEC cools its self plus the CPU. I found that the cooler u keep the TEC temp the cooler the CPU stays, duh. But it never goes below 26~27, I’m guessing the software keeps it there so no moisture is caused (my house stays around 72~75F). just my 2 cents

And with a nekid core I used a shim just liek the ones in catkicker's pic, nice idea THX catkicker. I just installed it on an A64 4000+, there's way to many ideas on the street. I have noticed that when it loads, my temp’s rise then settle out 4~5C less (might be because of the shim), it never did this before.

Comparing to the result I got before

A64 4000+ 242x12 @ 1.57V - Vigor Monsoon II

Ambient/22C Idle/26C Load/38C

A64 4000+ 242x12 @ 1.57V - Zalman CNPS9500

Ambient/22C Idle/29C Load/48C

Now

A64 4000+ (nekid) 242*12 @ 1.57V

Ambient 23C Idle/27C Load/38C

Again I think the software kept my temp at 38C because this is the coldest it can run without condencing, I'm just guessing. So no change there but, I was able to put the volts to her, lets just say, "Temperature is not my limiting factor when trying to hit 3G on this CPU."

How can a 50w TEC cool a CPU with a much higher TDP, anyway?

I have the same exact question......if the cpu is rated much higher than 50w - how can a 50w cool if effectively ? Im confused about that a bit as well......according to my past tec experience I needed a much higher rated tec than the cpu itself, since aside from the actual temperature a cpu creates, a tec's hotside will create heat as well......

...so needles to say, how does this tec unit manage to cool it down properly ?

Here are few pics of how I installed the Monsoon II on a nekid processor.

The parts:

nekidvv1.th.jpg

I have really good luck installing by flipping it upside down, kind of a balancing act. I manage to do this by myself without any problems.

~5th time if I'm counting~

Take a look:

nekid1cu4.th.jpg

Here it's tighten down and rtg.

nekid2pf5.th.jpg

*Disclaimer* Pics were taken on a dismantle, back to the opty for good.

So what kind of temps are you getting in CoreTemp? Ambient temps? vCore?

How much do you think the copper plate impacts performance, since there is 2 layers of Tim as well as the actual plate between the core and the heat sink now?

Edit;

Is that a copper plate or a lapped IHS?

I never seen a big drop it temp. A few posts back are some results. I did manage to put 1.76V and the temp was right at 50~51C that’s both vcore and cpu, using Everest and SG. I know that voltage is not good for it, but hey it’s mine so I can try.:P Ambient temp 76F - it get really hot in the room, window/door open, fans blown and its winter. I just wanted to try it with the old A64 so if it comes down to the opty I'd have some experience doing the whole task - decap and install.

Copper plate lapped - first lap and fingers hurt. It might of had an impact, I was thinking I should have coved the whole plate of the Monsoon, instead of just the cpu. Next time.