Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Maybe a 226W is to much. I just got two 80W on ebay. Now I'll have a few different ones to test with. These might be more in my ball park.

Funny...I did the same thing. Bought two 80 watt units from two different vendos just to make sure I at least got one :D Both arrived on the same day...eh...less than 20 bucks between the two for a little insurance ;)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking about getting one of these to get my X2 4800+ over 3Ghz. Can you replace the fan with a high flow, low noise option? If you go with a second fan, how is it controlled? I would suspect that you would want them to run in sync with each other.

Cooler Dimensions (DxWxH) 5.51 x 3.74 x 6.30 in / 140 x 95 x 160mm

@vender's site

@newegg

I saw those dimensions, but was confused as to which dimension is considered the height. The cooler looks longer (height?)

Is 5.5" the distance above the CPU/motherboard & the measurement I should be concerned with regarding the side panel ?

The cooler is 6.3" from the CPU to the top of the cooler. Yes, it's a big cooler and weights a bit more than others.

For the fans, they are controlled by the Monsoon's software. I suppose you could use a fan controller if you’re going to add a second fan. Use the controller to control both fans at the same speed.

The monsoon produces a lot of heat, so good case airflow will be needed. I think it allowed me to get just a few more MHz compared to the Zalman 9500. I noticed on dual cores there wasn't a huge temp change, due to the amount of heat they produce.

I had a very interesting time messing with this cooler, but in the end I replaced it with a H2O system to allow me to achieve 3GHz. The monsoon would just create too much heat. I would have to open the windows and put fans up, just to keep the temps in my room low. This was in the winter months, never tried in the summer.

I have a 110w TEC on the way :D Ehxaust hasn't been really that bad for me. My Freezone dumps alot of heat compared to the Monsoon and if I can handle the noise and heat from that then I'll be fine...anything in the name of more mhz's.........................

The cooler is 6.3" from the CPU to the top of the cooler. Yes, it's a big cooler and weights a bit more than others.

For the fans, they are controlled by the Monsoon's software. I suppose you could use a fan controller if you’re going to add a second fan. Use the controller to control both fans at the same speed.

The monsoon produces a lot of heat, so good case airflow will be needed. I think it allowed me to get just a few more MHz compared to the Zalman 9500. I noticed on dual cores there wasn't a huge temp change, due to the amount of heat they produce.

The Noctua is 6.1" tall, so this would be an even tighter fit. Case airflow shouldn't be a problem in the CM Stacker with the fans I have.

In a 2nd rig I have an AC Freezer Pro 64 cooling an X2 3800+ in an Antec P180B case. I was also thinking about swapping coolers in it. The ACFP64 is 4" tall. I'll have to measure & see if there is enough room. At least a side panel fan isn't in the equation.

I ordered the one w/o the LCD display. There isn't an empty bay left for the display. There was an additional 2.5" of clearance above the AC64P, so it looks like it will fit into the P180B. I should know by the weekend how much better, if any, it OC's the X2 3800+. I can currently hit 2.7 GHz, but it's stable at 2.65 GHz.

I installed it with plenty of clearance left inside the P180B. I also replaced the NForce chip-set fan while I was taking things apart.

jingting2.jpg

I should know by this weekend if this is a worthwhile upgrade for an X2 3800+.

I have a 110w TEC on the way :D Ehxaust hasn't been really that bad for me. My Freezone dumps alot of heat compared to the Monsoon and if I can handle the noise and heat from that then I'll be fine...anything in the name of more mhz's.........................

Have you installed it yet?