Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

I agree that a good HSF would give better performance and i think i'm kinda leaning on putting my CNPS9500 back on the rig cuz it gave me a max temp of 65 full load. We'll see what can be done..i'm kinda unsatisfied with it

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I already pulled the monsoon out and put my scythe ninja back. Priming away now with lower temps then the monsoon had... Quite depressing to buy something that expensive and then find out it is basically useless. I will be returning the monsoon and saving up for some nice watercooling.

I test fitted the monsoon on my NF3 250gb board with the 3400 Mobile clawhammer.

OldGuy Thank's for the help and effort Perfect fit. I need to lapp the one piece

and then hopefully next weekend I'll have time to set it up on my test bench and see how it does.

I really wish some would have read the reviews in this thread earlier and saved yourself the aggrivation of buying this. I run an Opty170 as well and this thing isn't even close enough to keeping it cool with a moderate OC. My XP-90 cooled about as well as this. I am now running the Nautilus 500 which does give good performance but the dam pump is buzzing all the time so it is going back.

I am going to just build my own WC and go from there. This Vigor would be good for a single core CPU perhaps OC'd but not dual core IMO. It just isn't a high enough watt TEC to do the job.

Here are my complaints:

1- TEC wattage too low

2- LCD is worthless, watching a little guy dig a hole while my temps rise isn't informative.

3- No control of when the TEC is on or off, should be able to set a temp. for the TEC to maintain.

4- Fan revving up and down and lack of ability to control it.

Those are just my thoughts.

Well I read this post from the start. I was looking for a alternative to setting up another watercooling system, to be honest with you I'm tired very tired of setting up WC'ing. After reading about the monsoon i decided to give it a try.

It will be used to cool a 3400+ mobile chip (no IHS) Single core amd chip should do well under the monsoon. And my 165 opteron 2800MHz. @ 1.392 volts. would probably do fine under it.

As far as cost the monsoon is cheaper for me then setting up another WC'ing setup. I think it's a great looking unit and I'm sure Steven is looking at all the feedback on his first design. I look forward to seeing what he does to improve the unit.

Iv'e been thinking of getting a Monsoon for my Opty,now having second thoughts.I popped the lid on it a few days ago.Right now at 3.0Ghz

Dual Prime95 here's what my lapped BT is hitting with 1.59v

Ambient 21

Load= 52

hmm maybe I should stay with my BT since the AS5 hasn't cured yet.

I'd say you should not look at the Monsoon and go with Good water cooling. I'm not impressed whatsoever with this cooler and wouldn't really recommend it for dual cores since it doesn't affect the heat much.

Hopefully you get better results then I did. I think the TEC just cannot handle the heat from my dual core opteron. I think it would be ok with single core.

If it's on the cpu in your sig it will handle it....

From the reading I have done this thing reallt starts to shine with warm ambient temps... like 70-80f...

seems the cooler cycles less often with cooler ambient temps like 50-60f..

so you guys running ice cold rooms with low ambient wont realize the benefit of this cooler...crank up the furnace and warm the room up to 75f and see how the cooler does...;)

google it....

If it's on the cpu in your sig it will handle it....

From the reading I have done this thing reallt starts to shine with warm ambient temps... like 70-80f...

seems the cooler cycles less often with cooler ambient temps like 50-60f..

so you guys running ice cold rooms with low ambient wont realize the benefit of this cooler...crank up the furnace and warm the room up to 75f and see how the cooler does...;)

google it....

Well trust me on this one, it did not handle it well. Reading is not everything. I have already tried the monsoon and found it woefully inadequate. My ambient temps are also not low, I live in Hawaii and do not have airconditioning so it is reather warm. For me my scythe ninja is doing a better job then the monsoon did. It is also not as loud either.

To clarify the temps, my Idle temp was lower with the monsoon by 4C but my load temps are higher by 5C. Not a good trade in my opinion.

This thing is basically a standard HSF...as ambients go up so goes the operating/idle/load temp...the fan cycling on and off is merely to dissipate heat from the heat sink. The TEC "should" be active at all times and is being overwhelmed by the cpu heat and the "hot" side of the TEC not being cooled efficiently...one possibilty ;)

I'm going to try adding another 92mm fan to make it a push pull since it already has the fan mount at the back side. Honestly though the heat pipes aren't that hot the way it is now. It really behaves like the TEC aint doin squat. A Conroe at stock voltage should not be running as hot as mine does...nor should you guys with opty 170's be seeing high temps IMO.