Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

After I got it installed I thought about going out the top. Making the 80mm fan I have now into a 120 blowhole.

I just kinda did a quick measure and it looks like it can mount so the fan is pointed up - blows air out top. Then it would hit the video card in the upper pci-e slot on my MB, it would be close. If it did fit then it would ristrict airflow across the fan so I think it’s a no-go with the upper pci-e slot taken by a long video card.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody been monitoring temps on this TEC with core temps on a dual core? I'm getting some high temps on full loads and it's quite upsetting. Even at boot the temps seem to be a bit high according to my expectation of being low. I'm gettin 32 and 36C at boot and about 54 and 64 on full load on my cores.

Has anybody been monitoring temps on this TEC with core temps on a dual core? I'm getting some high temps on full loads and it's quite upsetting. Even at boot the temps seem to be a bit high according to my expectation of being low. I'm gettin 32 and 36C at boot and about 54 and 64 on full load on my cores.

What are the temperatures using a program that reports the thermal diode value?

I encountered the same high load temps with my opteron 170. In conclusion I think this cooler is good if you only want moderate overclocking. When I started going up with the volts the temps were just as bad as my Scythe Ninja with a high CFM fan. Core temp was starting to give me readings of 65C + when I was using 1.58 vcore running at 2950 ghz(idle is 34C)

Right now I'm debating returning it and going water cooling.

Isnt the Monsoon also dependant on ambient temps...?

I thought I read the TEC works better when ambient temps are higher because the cooler cycles more... and it doesnt cycle as much if the ambient temps are low...might want to consider that if you have that cooler and still cranking the room temps down...

Well if ambient temps mattered my room is currently at 15C which is bout 58F; very cool. Also this case has three intake fans at 120mm that provide ample low ambiet case temp which currently is at 20C. I have a 120mm Exhaust that runs constantly to give ample exchange. I was just puzzled at the temps that i got that's all. I might consider hooking this rig up with water cooling. Cuz currently i think the 149 bux invested in the TEC are of no use( I know it's a tec and this one being air cooled and i sound critical but i guess it's better to protect my 300$ cpu).

Well if ambient temps mattered my room is currently at 15C which is bout 58F; very cool. Also this case has three intake fans at 120mm that provide ample low ambiet case temp which currently is at 20C. I have a 120mm Exhaust that runs constantly to give ample exchange. I was just puzzled at the temps that i got that's all. I might consider hooking this rig up with water cooling. Cuz currently i think the 149 bux invested in the TEC are of no use( I know it's a tec and this one being air cooled and i sound critical but i guess it's better to protect my 300$ cpu).

You aren't being critical at all IMO. $150.00 bucks should net you "good" temps, not mediocre temps compared to the best strictly air cooled solutions available today. Your ambients should be helping not hindering your overall performance and quite frankly, they suck. If the darned thing aint gonna kick in till it's "warm enough" then it's absolutely useless. You'd be getting better results (or the same) with a good old fashioned HSF setup...

If this thing had some kind of voltage regulation with a higher rated TEC in conjunction with thermal conditions (ambients, cpu) and a controller that did more than just disply the units operating temp it might merit the price tag associated with it...i.e. if you could at least set a target temperature and have it truly controlled...