Vigor Gaming Monsoon II (754, 939, AM2, LGA775) TEC cooling!

Angry_Games

Jebus, this is a King Kong sized cooler.

Reminds me of opening the XP-120 box the 1st time (just sat there smiling at it)

I've never used anything except air-cooling so I am pretty excited and am testing with an AM2 chip.

It doesn't look that tough to mount (famous last words), but I will approach it cautiously.

I am a little spoiled by the AC Freezer 64 Pro clip-on design :)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ordered a couple of different 80w TEC's off of Ebay. Come hell or highwater I'm gonna figure out a) how to completely destroy my Monsoon or B) get this thing to properly cool a Conroe setup. I'd swear the TEC isn't even functional on this unit :D Even my Freezone reacts positively to cooler ambients (8c idle on stock voltage) and this thing never seems to go below 26~27c operating temp regardless of ambients. Gonna make that little dude with the shovel stop his digging and start scrambling around looking for a winter coat!!! One thing I'm going to try before dis-assemblig the unit is to bypass the controller and connect the TEC directly to the PSU. By the time I'm done I think the pretty blue LCD display/controller will be sitting in a box collecting dust ;)

Wish me luck!!!

I just thought of doing something different after reading your post and tried to remove the tec and stuff but didn't work!! Well i went ahead and attached another fan on the back side of the Cooler check it out!!

1yz1.jpg

and this one

2db9.jpg

I'll be using two fans as well...two noisy high flow units :D Let us know if that helps with the stock TEC.

Where did you encounter problems trying to take apart the base? Those spring loaded posts with the "C" clips? I suspect a work bench and a vise is going to be needed to get it apart without destroying it...

I have Monsoon II and get great temps. 26ºC idle on the following rig:

LP Ultra-D

Opty 165 @ 2.95 GHz 1.45V

OCZ 520W PSU

OCZ 2x1GB EL Platinum

36GB Raptor

This is Prime95 stable and I can fold @100% CPU at those settings with a load temp of 38ºC. My quest for 3.0 GHz stable is at Prime95 dual core load @ 3.05 GHz and 1.55v and that load temp is 40ºC. My ambient temp is 20ºC.

So this thing is really working for me. I have not tried a second fan. If you need more info let me know.

I have Monsoon II and get great temps. 26ºC idle on the following rig:

LP Ultra-D

Opty 165 @ 2.95 GHz 1.45V

OCZ 520W PSU

OCZ 2x1GB EL Platinum

36GB Raptor

This is Prime95 stable and I can fold @100% CPU at those settings with a load temp of 38ºC. My quest for 3.0 GHz stable is at Prime95 dual core load @ 3.05 GHz and 1.55v and that load temp is 40ºC. My ambient temp is 20ºC.

So this thing is really working for me. I have not tried a second fan. If you need more info let me know.

I think the only reason i don't like mine is becuase of my chip which is X2 compared to an OPTY which runs more cooler. Apparently most opty's run cooler than x2's or the other 64's. So i think those temps compared to mine are better.

I found the Vigor Monsoon very interesting,

Was able to set it up alone although I used some DVD cases to balance the motherboard.

Took me awhile to figure out how to use the AM2 adaptors but I wasn't shaking half as bad as I was on my 1st Thermalright XP-120 :)

The "how to" on the Vigor website was easy enough to follow.

The fan starting and stopping at regular intervals was kind of irritating.

And I had set all fan temps in the bios to 25C.

Had one on the CPU fan connector and one on fan 2.

So I disconnected those two little yellow RPM sense wires from the motherboard and the fan has been running non-stop with a soft woosh.

It still speeds up and down a little (but doesn't stop) and temps are around 26C LOAD two hours into Orthos according to Everest Ultimate.

The CPU Diode reads 41C. (A64Info/CoreTemp report the same core temp)

Using a AM2 Sempron 3400 (1.8GHz) OC'd to 2726MHz w/1.46v to the CPU

This is in Vista x86 RC2 (5744) which usualy runs 3C higher than XP32 or x64 Edition.

Much lower LOAD temps than the Opty 170/AC Freezer 64 Pro reads at LOAD (2.85GHz). Usually that combo is around 53C. And the 170 is nekid.

Around 68 in the house this morning.

The Vigor display is reading 27-28C, but I'm not sure if they correspond or not.

Sure looks like another fan belongs on it but I'm very pleased overall.

This thing seems kinda hit or miss. Seems to be about a fifty fifty split around here as to whether they like em' or not. Fit and finish and overall appearance is nice but that don't keep a cpu cool :D Mine is laboring along right now displaying 34c on the LCd with a Conroe E6700 at 1.5v X 3.40ghz. Everest has me idling at 52~54c and easily get's into the 70's with these settings on an asus P5W DH at load. Huge difference between CPU temp and CPU core temps, 39c and 53c respectively...

Hoping I have the proper tools to dismantle this thing down at the shop so we can see what an 80w TEC will do...

EDIT: ambients are 26c/78f just so's ya know...