Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

Expresso--had same problem. Temps were 60 degrees after install. The gasket wasn't allowing good contact. I took off the cooler, removed the gasket, re-clipped it, and its now 35-40. That was on my Infinity 975X, which has easy on/off clips.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i dont think i will be taking off the gasket because that means i have to take out the board - which i dont plan on doing unless its a must - i am just about done with cleaning up the wires now and few little things - but i will try to clip it down better or use a tie wrap to make it fit closer to the chip and see what happens -- my chip idles at about 43c - so far hasnt past 50c even at load - but i would have liked to see a lower temp there - also i used the stock fans that came with the TT amor case to mount in front of the Rad - but i think they dont push alot of CFM - now its mounted and the way i put it - cant get to the front bottom screws to change the fans unless you take it apart or - i have to cut some plastic at the bottom inside the case and try to remove them that way - i will try that way first - i think it can cool better with fans that push more CFM -- i didnt check - i though they pushed around 60CFM or 70 -- but now i think they are pushing 54 CFM - the manual dosnt say - and cant find the excate model number to look it up -

they are guiet though - thats the good part -

I jsut got the SLi version. It was REALLY tough for me to install. The stock fan became almost glued to the NF4 chip for some reason. I had to use a lot of force to pull out the pits and the fan fell and chipped a piece of the chipset!!!! I was going to cry but I noticed it was around the epoxy or rubberish thing surrounding the chipset so I proceeded. Also how did people install theirs?

I tried placing the cooler down on the NF4 and then putting the bracket over it but it slipping so I put onside of the bracket down and then placed the cooler on the chipset and then locked the other side down. That was difficult. Maybe Im just stupid. But Luckily it booted up with no problems.

Idle:

Stock: 46C with full speed

SLi: 41C with bad case flow.

Havent dont a full load yet because I need to get more fans. Currently only one 120 intake, need to get another 120 for the exhaust. So far Im pretty happy with it except the installion was a nightmare.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds to me like your problem was with the uninstallation of the stock cooler, not the installation of the HR-05. Mine actually came right up, but the TIM was already loose because I'd rocked the cooler as it was still on. This is inadvisable however as it can cause the chip to crack, but it did serve to loosen the TIM for when I removed it. What most people do is let the board run for a half hour and then shut it off and immediately remove the stock cooler.

i had problems with uninstalling the stock and installing the hr-05, haha. but duh, i shouldve done that... let it run for a bit and then uninstall because the cpu had the same problem.. trying to remove the stock heatsink ripped the cpu out of the stock too~! but it was fine, not bent pins or anything..

anyway, yeah when installing the hr-05, it was difficult for me to have it set in place.. do people usually put the bracket onto the cooler and then install it on the chipset? i install part of the bracket first and then placed the cooler on top of the chipset and then put the other side of the bracket down..

We do not have places where it is possible to buy Thermalright HR-05 SLI, and even if it would be possible, it all the same would not get into my rig any side. So I try to do selfmade cooling.

At me after I have put on a bottom of the case huge silent box for the HDD regular DFI cooler (m/b DFI LP NF4 Ultra-D) began to cope badly cooling. RPM rose up to 6000 at 55°С – 57°C. Clearly why - silent box has practically blocked an air flow to a cooler of a chipset.

It was necessary to do a remote radiator on thermal tubes. Business became complicated that at me in the case in a zone of a chipset does not remain places. Around all is borrowed Ninja on CPU, radiators of passively cooled videocard from Gygabyte, now also huge box with HDD suspended inside.

Initial materials were:

- An aluminium radiator from 370 sockets,

- 4 thermal tubes from Zalman cooler for HDD,

- A thin leaf of aluminium from which cut a plate of a radiator,

- Alsil-3; 5, and an other trifle.

Yesterday has finished and has established. Has finished glueing an air casing to the exhaust gate that it now closed also a radiator of a chipset.

Tests have shown decent efficiency. I think it will be approximately same temperature, it’s all passive cooling and the gate only one exhaust on back the machine tool of the case (Ninja also works in a passive). However after 30 min works (Idle) chipset temp has risen up to 44°С and further did not grow any more. RPM of the exhaust ~400-700, temp in a room ~23°С. Under SM chip temp. set falls up to 41°С since the exhaust gate is untwisted up to 1000 rpm (it is fastened on CPU temp).

Here is a foto: (sorry for quality – it’s from mobile phone, and for my English)

1210193609ed2.th.jpg

1210193714ff4.th.jpg

1210193738px1.th.jpg

1210212951om0.th.jpg

1210231240jp8.th.jpg

Regular cooler has remained without business: 1210231217tg2.th.jpg

This under S&M, but the case is open. smda8.th.jpg

well i dont think i will be taking off the gasket because that means i have to take out the board - which i dont plan on doing unless its a must - i am just about done with cleaning up the wires now and few little things - but i will try to clip it down better or use a tie wrap to make it fit closer to the chip and see what happens -- my chip idles at about 43c - so far hasnt past 50c even at load - but i would have liked to see a lower temp there - also i used the stock fans that came with the TT amor case to mount in front of the Rad - but i think they dont push alot of CFM - now its mounted and the way i put it - cant get to the front bottom screws to change the fans unless you take it apart or - i have to cut some plastic at the bottom inside the case and try to remove them that way - i will try that way first - i think it can cool better with fans that push more CFM -- i didnt check - i though they pushed around 60CFM or 70 -- but now i think they are pushing 54 CFM - the manual dosnt say - and cant find the excate model number to look it up -

they are guiet though - thats the good part -

When you remove it you have to turn it aroound not only pull.Then it comes of safely.The problem is that glue is really hard and if you want to remove it you need lots of cleaning on it.