Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

Here's my experiences with the HR05... not good :confused:

I originally bought the HR05-sli, but after seeing that the expert had moved the chipset between the 2xPCIex slots on not under the first one (as with other mobos i've used) I decided to sell it and try the HR05 instead, which I hoped would leave me enough room should I ever want to go SLI. here are the PICs

34.JPG

Just after installing the Tuniq and HR05 on the expert

23.JPG

In the P180 with 7900GT with Zalman VF900 and XFI Fatal1ty

25.JPG

All was going well until I recently upgraded to 2x7900GTXs... as can be seen from the below photo I had to remove the HR05 as there was NO WAY that it was going to fit between these 2 giant cards. I've since sold one of the 7900GTX's but I still can't fit the 7900GTX in the first PCIx slot with the HR05 in place. I've also replaced the stock heatsink with the Zalman VF900 off my 7900GT, but, alas, it still doesn't fit because the 7900GTX is a good inch longer than the 7900GT so the core is further down the board meaning it still can not fit beside the HR05

21.JPG

I've already contacted the guy I sold the HR05-sli to and he hasn't used it and doesn't want it :sweat: so hes agreed to sell it back to me for what I sold it to him for.

I'll post pictures of the 7900GTX and HR05-sli in place once I get it set up

Oh and I also lapped it for the fun of it :P, heres the pics

Original nickel plating:

31.JPG

lapped to 15 microns with a polish with brasso:

http://www.leimrod.com/lapping/33.JPG

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys,

Great thread.

I'm just about to order the HR05 but im not sure if I should get the SLI or Normal?? Im using 1x 1800XT with an ACCELERO. Would the SLI version be ok?.....Using an NF4 Expert.

Thanks

Rich

As long as you're not going SLI, the SLI version will be okay for your board. Counterintuitive, I know, but that's how it goes. :nod:

I don't think the non-SLI will work because the Accelero is too thick.

Hi guys,

Great thread.

I'm just about to order the HR05 but im not sure if I should get the SLI or Normal?? Im using 1x 1800XT with an ACCELERO. Would the SLI version be ok?.....Using an NF4 Expert.

Thanks

Rich

Get the SLI, the normal HR05 fits but its too close for comfort imo, the sli will give you some breathing room, although on the expert you now won't be able to install a second gfx card, also the normal HR05 sits right over the back 2 sata ports (I think someone a few pages back had a pic of this) Also note that it is fairly loose with the spring loaded latches. I can rotate mine, and bend it so that it doesn't even touch the core because there is so much give in the springs. I'm trying to formulate a solution to this at the moment. I might just use a screw and bolt as I like my heatsink to not move around (thus causing air pockets in the TIM) Post pictures if you do get it.

As long as you're not going SLI, the SLI version will be okay for your board. Counterintuitive, I know, but that's how it goes. :nod:

I don't think the non-SLI will work because the Accelero is too thick.

Get the SLI, the normal HR05 fits but its too close for comfort imo, the sli will give you some breathing room, although on the expert you now won't be able to install a second gfx card, also the normal HR05 sits right over the back 2 sata ports (I think someone a few pages back had a pic of this) Also note that it is fairly loose with the spring loaded latches. I can rotate mine, and bend it so that it doesn't even touch the core because there is so much give in the springs. I'm trying to formulate a solution to this at the moment. I might just use a screw and bolt as I like my heatsink to not move around (thus causing air pockets in the TIM) Post pictures if you do get it.

Thanks for replys guys - will be putting my order in for the SLI shorlty. I think I prefer taking the heat as far away from my cpu anyway so all looks good. Slightly worried about the accelero pumping hot air directly out on the heatsink though...

Thanks

I replaced the HR05 with the HR05-sli (funny name as because of it I wont' be able to go sli :confused:) because I couldn't fit my 7900GTX in, even with the VF900 on it

http://www.leimrod.com/p180/31.JPG

Heres a pic to show you what I mean, the core on teh 7900GTX is further down the board then the 7900GT, the HR05-sli is the same width as the HR05 but out from the NB, so the zalman VF900 can pass behind it.

32.JPG

Picture of the NB cooler in place

http://www.leimrod.com/p180/33.JPG

The method I used to secure it, I found the spring loaded clips supplied where too loose for my liking so I replaced them with some 3mmx30mm nuts and bolts, I used 2 plastic washers on the underside of the board to stop the bolt head from touching it.

http://www.leimrod.com/p180/34.JPG

After reading this whole thread, i still have questions:

On my Ultra-D will it fit on the top side when using a Zalman 9500? (seems that the Zalman will be in the way?!?)

If the Zalman is too big, i need to mount it downwards, but is my 8800GTX slim enough to then still fit in the top x16 PCIe slot?

Bending/tilting it to the back is not an option, since the 8800GTX is full lenght and covers the chassis end to end

you're asking a very exact question, its not likely you are going to find someone with the exact setup you have. Your best bet is eyeball it and compare it to pictures that are in this thread to guess if it will fit. Then if you are, say 70% sure, just buy it and try it out. Post pictures when you do.

SLI works amazing on 795 infinity northbridge with scythe infinity and 8800gts in the top slot! Idles low 30s havent seen over 45c while running orthos at 1.65v to the northbridge. Excellent buy. if you have a huge cooler like scythe or tuniq I would suggest this as you can sneak it underneath and with the 90 degree arms keeps it from hitting your cpu cooler. As happy said with a fan in the rough vicinity the temp drop is amazing. Stock was 55idle 64load.