Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

a question to UK potential buyers...

what is the maximum you would be prepaired to pay for one of these?

I could order 4 at £18 each + postage how many takers?

Should I post pics on EXPERT with 7900GT?

Please do, this is exactly the config I am going to be using so it would be nice to have a look at this specific combination

Well, I have ordered the SLI version as the store I was buying off has no ETA for the normal ones and it looks like it will fit with single no problems (and I was buying something else which I could only get from that store), if anyone's interested I'll post a pic once setup with the expert + 7900GT

OK, just finished installing the HR-05 on eXpert with 7900 GT KO. Somehow, my digicam has dissapeared..... >:-|

Anyway, it actually fits just fine, And looks pretty good too. You have to put it on daigonally to avoid the power cable from the back of the GPU, but its not a real issue, nor an overly tight squeeze. Please don't bag on my temps, believe me, I know:

Was 57*C Idle

Now 48-49*C

Was 60*C Load

Now 50*C

SO there is significant improvement, and the silence was worth every dollar, even if it hadnt changed the temps.

Charles, no worries my man, it'll work wonders. My advice:

* Cover the semiconductors surrounding the chipset with some e-tape.

* Don't use the foam pad thingy

* Ceramique crap (what it comes with) doesnt draw heat as well, but is safer. You choose between it and AS5. I chose the latter.

* Use the shorter of the two semi-linear brackets. It's the one that fits.

* Grease the chipset only, not the hs.

That's it, good luck man. Again, those are onyl for eXpert installation. Prob diff on other mobos. Job takes about 10 miniutes total time.

Ive got the HR-05 on an Infinity 975XG butted against an SI-120. I managed to get an 80mm fan tied onto the bottom, with decent clearance of my 7900GT KO SC... its about 3/4 an inch. Dropped my ID temps about 8C and load 13C. Very nice cooler, not too expensive either.

Was 57*C Idle

Now 48-49*C

Was 60*C Load

Now 50*C

SO there is significant improvement, and the silence was worth every dollar, even if it hadnt changed the temps.

Good to hear, your was temps are similar to my current temps for chipset atm, although mine go higher under load, and it's getting worse here (heading into summer)...

I was actually supposed to recieve this cooler today but I guess I will be waiting till next week.

Just installed the HR-05 SLI with some AS5 and looking good so far, temps have gone down between 8-10C and it should get cooler as the AS5 settles.

am installing as we speak!!!!!!!

well that was pretty hassle free (more than 10 mins though as whole computer does have to come out of the case)

idle temps are around 30 and at load its about 42 but i havent got the full build finished yet need to get all then case fans back in the fan controller etc.

This is great! My temps are down so much and now my PC is virtually silent (I can turn my rpm down on all my fans), idle was 48C, atm it is 34C! and the fans have been turned down!