Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

i dont know what everyone is talking about - i just went to the Thermalright site and it lists the boards as OK ?

actually most of the DFI boards are listed as OK - ??

unless they updated recently - i seen it about 2 days ago and DFI listed as OK -

are you sure you got the right site ? and not Thermaltake instead of Thermalright ?

that happens alot - i always get confused between the two :)

It appears now that the SLI version is marked as OK and the normal as Not compatible

I'll add another to the list of HR-05 pics on a DFI eXpert. Fits like a charm, and works wonders on the temps. Also, having my radiator fans tilted up (on that big blue handmade fan shroud) helps alot... the heatsink winds up getting alot of the air off of them.

thermalrighthr0520jc7.th.jpg

WOW, does anyone read or do research anymore?

The regular HR-05 won't fit on most DFI boards because its completely vertical and its blocking a pci/pci-e slot. The new one is the HR-05 SLI, which will fit all DFI boards because its heatpipes are at a right anglish like the Jing-Ting.

The one reviewed at Legion Hardware is the HR-05. This thread is about the SLI.

HR-05 = No Fit (except expert/venus)

HR-05 SLi = Fit (except expert/venus)

Dang... read the thread brother (assuming a guy... sorry if you're not). The pic i posted just a few posts up is a HR-05. Not the SLI version. Not really sure how it could block a PCI or PCI-e slot, but I trust you. I must have just mounted it the right way. ;)

My bad, thats why i said MOST. And it looked like you tilted yours, if you look at this guys thread on an Ultra-D:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54061

the top pci-e slot is blocked by the HR-05. Again, the thread says HR-05 Sli not the regular version. That one was discussed awhile ago. Searching owns.

Anyway, if you can get a SLi version, thats the one I would get. Im actually waiting to get mine soon from svc.com when they get another promotion going on besides the Cooler Master :P

Yeah, you are right. Expert boards are laid out different, and that's why the original HR-05 fits better. But, the new HR-05-SLI could be a problem, as has been stated earlier, on the Expert and Venus. Oh, I only turned it to expose a bit more of the fin area to the airflow from my radiator fan. It made a small difference... about 5-6 degrees F. But as far as fit on the eXpert and Venus boards with 2 video cards (no 2 slot coolers), the original HR-05 is the way to go.

Also, I wanted to add that the base finish on the HR-05 sucked (maybe the SLI version is better?). It was flat where it counted... especially since the chipset is bare and doesn't have a large amount of surface area. I could definitely see where a good lap job could shave another degree or two off the temps, though. But the base is chrome plated (likely plated as a whole assembled unit), which probably is inconsequential to performance, but isn't the expected config with a bare copper baseplate. Ok so maybe that is nit-picking.... here's some thumbs of what mine looked like before and after:

First is the before.... don't mind the lines on the paper, I drew them by hand just for contrast, not flatness testing:thermalrighthr0511lj9.th.jpg

Then an after shot to see the difference with most of the chrome gone and the very rough finish cleaned up:

thermalrighthr0513du7.th.jpg

yes we were talking specifically about the hr-05 as we have expert boards.......

I still think that an ammendment should be made on thermalright's website as it clearly fit's the expert and venus .

WOW, does anyone read or do research anymore?

The regular HR-05 won't fit on most DFI boards because its completely vertical and its blocking a pci/pci-e slot. The new one is the HR-05 SLI, which will fit all DFI boards because its heatpipes are at a right anglish like the Jing-Ting.

The one reviewed at Legion Hardware is the HR-05. This thread is about the SLI.

HR-05 = No Fit

HR-05 SLi = Fit

The HR-05 is the one to get for the Expert LPs because it will fit in between the video cards. The SLI version will not work in the Expert boards with two long video cards.

The HR-05 is the one to get for the Expert LPs because it will fit in between the video cards. The SLI version will not work in the Expert boards with two long video cards.

That sounds right but would you still be able to mount an extra 80mm to the HR-05 and make it fit?

What about non-SLI setups on the expert?, ironically the SLI version looks like it would fit better on single card configs.

That sounds right but would you still be able to mount an extra 80mm to the HR-05 and make it fit?

What about non-SLI setups on the expert?, ironically the SLI version looks like it would fit better on single card configs.

Yes there's really no way to do an SLI version on an Expert with long cards, as seen in this thread. As for mounting the fan to a non-SLI between two cards, I'm not so sure about that. If it's a skiny fan you might be able to, but I didn't look for that when I saw the pics.