Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

Yes there's really no way to do an SLI version on an Expert with long cards, as seen in this thread.

Yes I figured that, but what about a single card system, ie. just one 7900GT...

Which would have the best fit in your opinion if you added a fan onto it with the expert board?

Yeah you could probably mount an 80x15mm, but the fan would sit right down on top of the bottom video card (using HR-05 and Expert as example). That means that the fan would not have anywhere to get air from... which would kinda defeat the purpose of having the fan. On the bright side, even without a dedicated fan, the cooler is great and will keep the temps at at least as cool as the stock cooler... without that loud little fan. Right now, I am encoding some videos, and the chipset is running at 91F without it's very own fan. But, the 120's on my rad do hit it pretty good.... so I guess you have to take that into account.

As far as one video card, they should both be okay. I'd say to stick to the original HR-05, just incase you decide down the road that you do want to use SLI. But that would be completely up to you,of course. The great thing about these coolers, it that you can rotate them a lot to miss almost any obstacle, or in my case, try to catch a little more wind from the surrounding fans.

the chipset is running at 91F without it's very own fan. But, the 120's on my rad do hit it pretty good.... so I guess you have to take that into account.

I am definetely out to buy one of these, the DFI stock fan just isn't cutting it even with AS5 applied on it, I just need to know which version I should get for my particular single card config.

Yes I figured that, but what about a single card system, ie. just one 7900GT...

That's what I meant... long cards ;)

Which would have the best fit in your opinion if you added a fan onto it with the expert board?

I don't have either the HR-05 nor the HR-05-SLI, and I don't have an Expert board either, so I'm just going by what I know of the rough dimensions and what I've seen in pics, but if you mount the fan under the cooler it should work either way. With the SLI there will be a little more room in between the cooler and the top video card which can improve airflow and decrease noise. Trouble is I don't know how close that will get to the top normal PCI card.

I am definetely out to buy one of these, the DFI stock fan just isn't cutting it even with AS5 applied on it, I just need to know which version I should get for my particular single card config.

I guess my question would be, do you ever plan on having SLI? If there's any chance you will, get the straight non-SLI version. Otherwise you could get either one.

Also if you're in SLI, you can create airflow in between the two cards by mounting the fan perpendicular to them.

Not really, as my next upgrade would be a single DX10 card (2nd gen)

Then you can probably get either one. I don't know if the SLI version will give you any advantages though other than it being further away from the card. The non-SLI version will be somehwat close which may add a little more noise from the fan and impede airflow, but in all honesty I think the difference will be negligable. In fact I think the air blowing on the card will make more of a positive difference in GPU temps than anything else.

Have you considered the VC-RE at all? It is also a fine unit from what I've heard.

Have you considered the VC-RE at all? It is also a fine unit from what I've heard.

That is another option, although there is only one store in Australia selling these, have people found these cooler than the the HR-05 (with fan or without)?

I don't want to have to add a fan on to the HR-05 but I may have to because my chipset temp is killing the rest of my system (heat wise).

The HR-05 stocks in many stores in Australia so that's good, and I like the look of the HR-05 (with a fan on this could also cool surrounding componenets)

Really the hottest part of my system is the chipset.

That is another option, although there is only one store in Australia selling these, have people found these cooler than the the HR-05 (with fan or without)?

I don't want to have to add a fan on to the HR-05 but I may have to because my chipset temp is killing the rest of my system (heat wise).

I'm not sure how it compares heat-wise to the VC-RE. I don't know if anyone's tested them side-by-side and which one is better may depend on your system. I can only imagine it does better than the VC-RE because there's so much more surface area.

Anyway, my suggestion is the non-SLI version. And again, keep in mind I don't own either model nor the Expert. The only problem I can see happening is if the cooler on the video card is too thick, but I haven't heard of that being a problem. I don't think you'll need a fan but if you do you'll be able to install one I'm sure.

Anyway, my suggestion is the non-SLI version. And again, keep in mind I don't own either model nor the Expert. The only problem I can see happening is if the cooler on the video card is too thick, but I haven't heard of that being a problem. I don't think you'll need a fan but if you do you'll be able to install one I'm sure.

Excellent, I'm looking forward to getting one of these and hopefully this should make my chipset temps improve greatly. I'm considering sticking a small heatsink onto my PWM/IC, can anyone see this lowering even marginally the temps of the PWM/IC? (Something like this http://www.pccasegear.com/prod359.htm or this http://www.skycomp.com.au/product_info.php...20bd42c2c54c5bf )

was gonna get the evercool. think im gonna go get me one of these bad boys instead. i doubt ill see much of a temp drop as my chipset is 38idle and 43load already. but its the lack of noise im thinking about :)

Excellent, I'm looking forward to getting one of these and hopefully this should make my chipset temps improve greatly. I'm considering sticking a small heatsink onto my PWM/IC, can anyone see this lowering even marginally the temps of the PWM/IC? (Something like this http://www.pccasegear.com/prod359.htm or this http://www.skycomp.com.au/product_info.php...20bd42c2c54c5bf )

Try it, it can't hurt. I'd try and look for something with taller fins though if you can.