Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

Just installed the HR-05 SLI chipset cooler onto my DFI nF4 Ultra-D motherboard. I am very impressed. Before I installed it the PWMIC and Chipset would load in the high 40's to low 50's C. Now both load around the high 30's or low 40's C. Plus I don't get that annoying buzzing like I do with the standard chipset fan. I love it so far.

Also I do not have a fan near the cooler.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with my 8800 gts the hr-05 sli been placed underneath it no room above it !!

and with the stock cooler of the 8800 gts does not have big distance between them by placing it underneath so i took my old 6800 ultra block put it on my new 8800 gts put coolers on the mem chips , mount my old amd fan on the hr-05 sli and i have it direct the air to the vga !!!!

i must say that now the card is COOL !!!!

as for my chipset temps (max 35) are very good than the stock which was hidden by 2/3 from the giant vga's stock cooler

im getting bfg 8800 gts oc and i got hr-05 sli sitting in my room

will there be cooling and fitting problems:confused:

hey Angry,

i was thinking of getting both the thermalight chipset coolers. i want to put the sli vesion on the south and reg version on the north. do you think the reg version will fit with an artic cooling 7 on the gigabite mother board (s3)? i would also like to attach a fan to the h5 on the north bridge, do you also think 70x70x15 fan has enough room with that artic cpu cooler?

thanks

well, there is only one chip to cool on an NF4, so you only need one.

a thin 15 fan definitely SHOULD work

I mostly use them passively, but my Core2 975X/G rig has a silent 80mm fan attached with cable ties to the HR-05 non-sli ;)

• 2 months later...
Got mine installed and I get around 32C on full load! This thing is great! Best cooler ever!

70499654xa0.jpg

hr05sli8800gtxff8.jpg

very nice

what mine will look just, but i will have thermalright xp90 instead

• 1 month later...
Well, I said I'd give a comment on this so I will. I installed this just prior to putting in my Ultra-D today. I figured why mess around with a fan. The unit itself is extremely well made, typical Thermalright stuff. However, with my video card which has an Accelero X2 on it, when I tried mounting it in the top slot the Accelero rested right on the HR-05, and it covered about 25% of the fan intake on the card. I couldn't turn it either 90 degrees (vid card too long) or 180 degrees (conflict with XP120). I thought about mounting the vid card in the bottom slot and trying the HR-05 to the rear, but then it covers the SATA ports, and if I tried it down like I originally had it, it hits the TOP of the vid card. Needless to say, I don't think you can make it work with a long card with that particular aftermarket cooler (might be ok with a Zalman or similar), and a shorter card would be golden. Anyway, I'm disappointed that I can't use it, but I'll hang onto it for another project. FWIW.

I guess if i put a HR-03 on a x1950xt it won't work either? I'm trying to see if i can have all TR coolers in my rig if i upgrade my vid card(I have xp-120 and hr-05 sli).

recently my chipset temp went up from 26 to 40C, is it because its summer? i just let the front fan blow on the cooler