Thermalright HR-05 SLI review

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dammit, just read through this entire thread... and its just confirmed it, i'm not going to able to set up my HR-05 Sli the way I wanted to :sad:

I bought it originally for my last mobo which was an abit fatal1ty, which had the NB half way underneath the back end of the vga, so the best option was to purchase the sli version of this cooler.... however, on transit, I came across a great deal on a NF4 UT sli-DR and I went ahead. Now I realise DFI where smart enough NOT to put the northbridge in the path of any of the PCIx slots, it is now in the middle. I wanted to face the NB HS towards the HDD cage, and afai could tell it would work. Now I realise from this thread that I hadn't factored the PCIx power cable, which ruins that whole idea :mad:

Don't really want to return and don't really want to use it... i guess ill try to install and post a pic. I'll be installing it with a eVGA 7900GT 512mb, I also have a few PCI cards to go in so i'll see how it fairs with those.

Hi guys and respect to you all,

This chipset cooling toy is great for all DFI owners. To bad it came out so late.

I have installed it today on my LP nF4 Ultra-D on a 45 degree angle, and I has unhappy initially because it was very loosely attached to the mobo and the temps was high: 49C on idle / 55C on load (23C in the room, AS5).

So I have replaced the two white plastic clips with something stronger I have found around, as you can see in this pic.

Now it sits very tight and the temps are great: 34C on idle / 38C on load. Not bad :)

Also this way I can remove or rotate it without removing the mobo (I hate to take off the mobo !!).

chipset_cooler_2.jpeg

I wanted not to disturb the airflow from the front case fan to the video card, since I'm on stock cooling for video.

I was able to connect the molex on the mobo, the lowest fin is high enough to allow it.

These are details that may differ from rig to rig, just consider what's best for you.

i just installed that one also - i installed a new Case and WC all in my sig now - the clip wasnt too bad once its clipped in - it has a little bit of movement ifyou touch it but not enough to make me worry that something is wrong - i wish i would have seen your pic before i installed mines - i would have done what you done with the screws to hold it down a bit better - my temps are not that great at idle - it starts up at 34c and sits around 42c at idle but at full load - i ran prime for a hour to see - it dosnt go over 45c - so i am not sure if that good or not - i expected lower idle temps - but if it dosnt go over 45c or at least stay under 50C with my max OC under full load - thats pretty good - also its very warm in my room and i dont have any fans blowing air in the case right now -- i need to blow some air in the case for the pmwic to stay cool - thats the only thing that gets too hot now that i went to WC -- i plan on turning my rear 120mm fan to blow in the case rather than out and see how that works - since i have 1 92mm blowing out on the rear also and 1 92mm on top blowing out also - has anyone tried that and did it work ?

i did install the little rubber gasket on the bottom - but i think it should fit a bit tighter and closer to the core of the chip -

plus its leaning on the side once in the case and the weight i am sure is taking it off the core just a bit - i have to see what i can do to make it sit closer without taking it apart - because that i am not doing -- everything it good so far - i turned my rear fan to blow in and it helps the board area pretty good -

not great but much better than before and may be able to leave it this way unless i want to go full load at max OC -

has anyone have any ideas how to tighten up the chip cooler

HR-5- SLI once its installed - with out taking the board or anything out of the case -

i know i have to remove the Video card for sure - i am thinking of trying to tie strap it down somehow or put a wedge under the clip to make it sit better -

any ideas ?

thanks