The AMD 3GHz Club

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty people, I need your professional UNBIASED opinions here ;)

I have a friend who is upgrading, like myself with the 185, and I pose the questions to you:

Is the price VS. performance ratio really worth it to upgrade to AM2?

He has, right now, an Asus board that doesn't work Dual channel even though it HAS dual channel, 939 4000+ single core and 2GBs of RAM.

My proposed upgrade (he doesn't OC) is to a 939 socket Opty 185, 2GBs of Mushkin and an Expert board because that's the best bang for his buck as far as price goes along with performance.

Am I right or would an AM2 setup that's more expensive really give him a lot better performance? Because it's my understanding that the performance difference between an FX-60 and an FX-62 with PC4000/PC8000 is only around 6%, which is hardly worth the 500+ dollars in difference between the two platform costs (in that I'm refering to the cost of getting an FX-62 or 6000+, 2GBs of PC8000 and a matching mobo for AM2 VS. getting an Opty 185 (335 on newegg), 2GBs of Mushkin (around 284 on newegg) and a DFI Expert (150ish))?

Nice work Likwid, awesome clock, welcome to the honours roll. :D Your OCDB entry lists your stepping as 0910 btw :)

Charmed - The best alternative, unbiased, is to get a 185 and keep the rig he has. The power will be enough at stock, and he'll save loads of money from avoiding a new board and ram. Best bang for buck in a long way. Else he may as well get a budget Allendale rig for the price of a new board and ram.

Then 100% he should buy an Intel rig... even at $190 the E4300 is nearly as fast as an FX-60 at stock. Give him a Gigabyte S3 and a set of gskill DDR800 cas4 ram... ($190+$130+$300= $620 at the max) and he'll have the fastest system with some amazing overclocking potential should he choose it.

If not that... stick to the 939.

He won't overclock. Not gonna happen. And he's adversive to Intel like I am.

I told him the absolute best he could do as far as tech support issues goes is get the exact same thing I have, so I can give him the stable stock settings and he won't have to figure them out. He needs the slot layout that's on the Expert, which is why he ain't going Intel since most of their boards don't even have 3 PCI slots anymore from what I've seen. Plus he wants as high end as possible in any given socket, and the high end in Intel is too much.

He won't overclock. Not gonna happen. And he's adversive to Intel like I am.

I told him the absolute best he could do as far as tech support issues goes is get the exact same thing I have, so I can give him the stable stock settings and he won't have to figure them out. He needs the slot layout that's on the Expert, which is why he ain't going Intel since most of their boards don't even have 3 PCI slots anymore from what I've seen. Plus he wants as high end as possible in any given socket, and the high end in Intel is too much.

This question should have really been posted in t "recommendations" as it has Nothing to do with 3G's what so ever... I am going to be nice this time...next time I will not...;)

Also...to answer the question...would you really do that to a friend...put him in a finiky overclocking board if he's not going to overclock...? I wouldnt...

If you have to get DFI choose a SLI-D® not the expert... or even a different brand...I know you mean well...but if he has NO intention of overclocking or even a very slight amount I would put him/her in something else...Like a Asus, Abit, Gigabyte or even a MSI...

I do agree on staying 939 right now as it's cost effective...;)

Nice work Likwid, awesome clock, welcome to the honours roll. :D Your OCDB entry lists your stepping as 0910 btw :)

Fixed - thanks for the heads-up, TFK. I have a question - to post a SuperPi score, does it have to be done at the same clock speed as your OCDB entry?