The AMD 3GHz Club

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I didn't have to go get ready for work I'd show you what a wire-trap the other side door of my case looks like when it's off, but here's a couple of the inside. Not exactly neat and clean with those tubes everywhere but it ain't congested either, in my opinion:

insidesallcn4.th.jpg

They're small but I think they make the point. Don't see many big fat cords in the way do you? LOL

I have the same exact case. I'll show you how clean it can look when I get home. I have found some very cool (to me) tricks inside of that case to hide cables. :P

I just ran an experiment on another board... I just realized how easy it is to photoshop screenies. Oh, am I bad. It takes a bit of attention to detail and making semi-reasonable claims. ... and probably less time than it'd take to run the bench for real.

It's kinda scary for me since, I never knew how easy it'd be to fabricate a good looking fake. I wonder how many times I've been fooled.

I just realized how easy it is to photoshop screenies.

Yeah, unfortunately it's the side effect of the field of our interest. The consolation being that what we do is a shared learning experience and fudging any results are detrimental to the fudger.

The rewards you get from achieving your own results are what define you as a person, if your results are fake then so are you and your "expertise" will quickly be found out if you try to contribute to the community.

It's a bit like playing guitar, you'll always find people who will quickly say they can play but you put a guitar in their hands and they can only stumble out three chords and a chorus if you're lucky (odds are they won't even tune it when they first pick it up!). It's the quiet guy in the corner who can run the scales and has the tricky riffs, he may not talk himself up but he's the happier guy.

It's kinda scary for me since, I never knew how easy it'd be to fabricate a good looking fake. I wonder how many times I've been fooled.

It probably is fairly easy to knock up a fake screenie. But don't forget, on the street it's not just the first screen shot(Orthos, 3d01 and cpuz), but you have got to have 3d03, 05 and 06. Even if you could fake them with cpuz, most peep's on the street would spot the discrepencies between the 3d score and the cpu speed that is being claimed. I'm pretty sure it goes on, but as a rule most liars do end up getting caught out at some point. So the only person being fooled is the idiot trying to do the fooling in the first place.

Well, what if I claimed a 7950GX2 at screenie clocks + cascade on the CPU?

That does look good(wanna sell that 175 :D). Tell me what stepping the 175 is Thraxz, and then i'll tell you what my thinking on the claim would be.

That does look good(wanna sell that 175 :D). Tell me what stepping the 175 is Thraxz, and then i'll tell you what my thinking on the claim would be.

CCBBE 0617DPMW (got lucky... no cold bug)

Sure, I'll sell you shopped screenie of it for a shopped screenie of $250!

Does this mean we can no longer trust any of your OCDB entries Thraxz? :) Pretty good work, how about a 1280 X 1024 screen so we can see if holds up.

Edit: PS all my entries are faked

Of course you can't... er CAN... CAN! There's a reason I've never OCDBed anything above 3.05GHz... it's because I couldn't do it without 1.9999vcore and 5734957289 degree temps. I'll link to my other thread over on OCN and you can read the reactions over there.

As for the 12x10 resolution, it'd actually make it easier, CP. Then I wouldn't have to worry as much about the goddamn artifacts from jpeg/res drop. Gimme another similar stock screenie at 12x10.

EDIT: http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/155501-f...mark06-run.html

Uhh, I don't claim to be an expert overclocker ... I just got really lucky with the chip. I do have to tell you guys that all the great info on this site was instrumental to success in my overclocking. I must have gone over the overclocking guide at least a couple of dozen time. Without it, I would have never understood any about how memory dividers work on A64 and even what power supply to use (okay that was a different thread)! I was really upset when this site went down for a while (especially since I was in the middle of a CPU swap) and even wrote to DFI complaining about what happened. I even wrote to Angry about how I even like his humor. His bit when making fun of l337 overclocker was really funny! I really value this site as it was what inspired me to overclock in the first place. It started back when I had the 2600+ XP-M on a DFI nF2 Infinity board (which I still have running great if a little long in the tooth.)

I was first visiting AMDBoards (which now became PC Perspective, a totally lame name) and was planning the next build when I saw that DFI had a factory support tech forum. I had first heard about the LAN Party boards and thought it was bit of a joke ... all the flash graphics and all. I had only build bog standard PC's without an ounce of overclocking. The DFI section of that forum was pretty interesting and quickly thought; here are all the people who are willing to help out with tweaking and even a manufacturing rep! I had ordered my parts from Newegg when I found out that Angry got sick of AMDboards and started DFI-Street. A little perplexed but I followed Angry to the new place and start fiddling with the new rig using all the insights from the experienced users. I was only able to get that chip to 2.4 GHz but I was proud of my first overclock. I was mostly a reader because I didn't have much to contribute back then (and still don't know as half as much as nearly everybody here.)

When A64 first came out, I waited until there was a new DFI board for the chip. After reading the awesome reviews on various sites and great experience people had with the board in this site (although a little daunting for a novice like me) I plunged in and bought the nF4 Ultra-D along with then shiny new 3800+ X2. After a couple weeks of tweaking, once again using the awesome info here, I finally got it stable at 2.5 Ghz with low load temps. I know that wasn't that great either but I was still learning. Now I got the itch again when I saw the great results people were getting with the 939 Opterons. I saw what the chip could achieve here and what people was doing to make it possible. I do have to admit that I was reading from Xtreme Systems about which stepping were good (until then I just went in blindly and just bought what was available at the moment at Newegg.) At first I was expecting to get around ~2.8 GHz at most but the chip kept on going! I just kept adjusting cooling, voltages, memory divider and timing as recommend on this site. After couple of weeks of slowly testing out the new chip, I've arrived at the current result.

I take my hats off to all who are here who have unknowingly helped and inspired me. I really think this is a great forum. Sure it has some problems but what forums doesn't?? Now that it is open to all platforms, even better. People can question results but I know what I achieved so I'm satisfied with that. I salute Angry and his no nonsense approach and all the great experts here who have helped me. Hope this forum will go on for a long time! I will keep coming back and maybe one day I will be good enough to contribute something to this great site. :)

Nice post, made me all teary-eyed. :)

I've made a few friends here over the last couple of years. Best part of 3G club is most of my friends are in it and are just a bunch of sadistic $%^ like myself. There is some very funny stuff buried in the 181 pages of this thread. Wish I had the time to go back through and re-read them. Oh yeah, there is also some good overclocking material in this thread somewhere.

I'm still waiting on the memory to finish my C2D rig (out of stock) so I can't finish that up and I am getting bored so I think I will offer up a few sacrifices to the clocking gods this weekend. For some reason I can't seem to sell my 4400+ or 2 X 256 BH5 at a reasonable price so I am going to make some very simple copper blocks with some form of container on them that I can C-clamp to the ram and strap my container on the 4400 and just lean on it until something dies from voltage. I've already hit the ram with 3.9 on air cooling so maybe with some cold plates at -40 we can push them past 280 2 2 2. I started making the blocks at work today but had to quit so I could make money, at the rate I'm going it will take a week and then we can kill some stuff and maybe become famous on you-tube..