SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

bump for AG

i apologize deeply but I've been sick for almost 10 days and without going into gross details, I'm still full of bad stuff but trying to get back into synch. I've not played anything on teh SLI rig at all, it is still sitting there cold and silent but fully loaded and waiting for me to get well enough to sit for more than 15 minutes at a time without wanting to toss cookies.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 2 7800 gts in SLi and no problems yet with crashes in game. However it wont complete 3D mark 05. Crashes at the beginning of the third test and I get lost device message from memory its a directX issue.

Had no problems with 1 card only since I fired up the SLI.

Yeah you are one of the lucky ones, for some reason not everyone has the crashing, monitor out of frequency problem.But enough of us did that there is some problem with the 12/07 bios so just keep an eye out.

Hello, Muppet,

More info on the new build ... most importantly, no crashes ... yet ... :)

I just finished running all three 3DMark tests without having one glitch. Numbers are decent, but not spectacular ... in other words, within "spec" for a non-OC'd, dual GPU rig.

22.3K for 3DMark03

12.9K for 3DMark05

8.9K for 3DMark06

I ran the tests twice to see if one of the Advanced options was causing the crashes; once with the "single GPU rendering" option, and once with the "multiple-GPU rendering" option. The latter was the better setting with my 81.98 drivers.

I thought of something else that might be affecting those who crash. I dropped the "PCIe Load Size" (Genie page in the BIOS, I think) from it's default 4096 to 256 to match the memory size on my graphics cards. I read that somewhere in these forums.

And now for some serious game playing at unghodly eye-candy settings ... :)

For example, last night I set EQ2 to its maximum, "Very High Quality" setting with all sliders also maxxed (except for some shadow effects). No lag; and no jerkies ... I could not believe the graphics ... :)

Will let you know as soon as something crashes on me ... but so far, three days with no problems.

Hope this helps ...

[EDIT]: Had another thought ... I'm really dangerous tonight ... I wonder if it's my graphics cards. Has anyone who uses the eVGA 7800GTX cards had a 3DMark crash? I don't recall seeing the eVGA brand in any sigs except mine.

That title pretty much sums-up what I'm thinking now... I built my rig back around Christmas and I went through hell trying to get SLI to work (same system specs as the sig say, but with a pair of XFX 6800XT cards). When I did have SLI running the Windows desktop performed just fine, 3DMark and Aquamark ran fine. As soon as I started the games, however, everything went downhill - screen locked-up, looping sounds, and I had to do a hard-reset on the machine (no three-finger salute possible).

Since then I gave up and went with the evga 7800 and I haven't had any problems, and the card outperforms the 2 6800's any way (according to the test scores). I just wish this thread had evolved a little sooner because I hated giving up on the problem, and I would probably have another $300 in cash in my pocket... However, this still needs to be figured out since I'm planning on moving to 2 7800's in the near future.

That title pretty much sums-up what I'm thinking now... I built my rig back around Christmas and I went through hell trying to get SLI to work (same system specs as the sig say, but with a pair of XFX 6800XT cards). When I did have SLI running the Windows desktop performed just fine, 3DMark and Aquamark ran fine. As soon as I started the games, however, everything went downhill - screen locked-up, looping sounds, and I had to do a hard-reset on the machine (no three-finger salute possible).

Since then I gave up and went with the evga 7800 and I haven't had any problems, and the card outperforms the 2 6800's any way (according to the test scores). I just wish this thread had evolved a little sooner because I hated giving up on the problem, and I would probably have another $300 in cash in my pocket... However, this still needs to be figured out since I'm planning on moving to 2 7800's in the near future.

Two months ago i was trying to find out the cause of these problems, it took around a month in the end because it was so random as to when it would occur.I'm pretty sure you'll be fine now as it's been around 3 1/2 weeks since i last had a crash.It doesn't happen to everyone only some PCs, but if it does just revert back to the 11/02 bios for an easy fix :)

Check my sig, Hokie ... you'll see I'm running two eVGA 7800GTXs for three days now with no problems ... yet ... :) I have five eVGA graphics cards now: one 6800GT AGP; two 6800GT PCIe (SLI), and the two 7800GTX cards in this box. Have never had a problem or a failure with any of them.

As Muppet said, it happens and it doesn't. So far, my rig is clean ... :)

But I should like to suggest you immediately (if not sooner) download and install the AMD X2 driver and the Microsoft hotfix for dual-core CPUs ... if you have not already done it.

BTW, this is three nights now of WoW and EQ2 gaming with no problems and no crashes. Both games are playing at maxxed graphics specs ... EQ2 is at "Very High Quality" with all sliders to the far right. It's fantastic viewing.

Hope this helps ...

what yall are describing i can also most bet you is overclocked and memory related.This is the second dfi board ive owned and ive had the same problems with overclocking the cpu and memory while playing games.Play around with your memory timeings abit bet it will fix your problems

what yall are describing i can also most bet you is overclocked and memory related.This is the second dfi board ive owned and ive had the same problems with overclocking the cpu and memory while playing games.Play around with your memory timeings abit bet it will fix your problems

I tried all sorts of things including stock and overclock nothing but the 11/02 bios would fix this problem, believe you me i and a few others tried all kinds of thing to sort it.Now i have my 4400@ 2.8 and no crashes, so it's not related to over clocks grapics or system wise

Everything works perfectly after downgrading to the 11/02 bios.

I was also dealing with an inadequate power supply problem (OCZ 600w SLI did not cut it) that was causing my system to power off during game play. I upgraded to a KW PSU and I no longer have the shutdowns. Since the PSU upgrade I have heard that most SLI rated PSU's cannot handle 7800 GTX 512's (OC's ?) on the SLI power rail. If you attach one of the 7800's to a cable on another rail is solves the problem (provided that rail is not in use).

Incorrect.

I dont have anything overclocked on my system (with either BIOS version). The only thing that I changed was the BIOS version. Once I went back to the 11/02 BIOS, the problem was gone.