SLI-DR Expert with SLI causes Game Crashes

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am glad most of you guys that went back to the 11/02 bios are getting stable results. However, seeing so many people having problems with the Expert board I am slowly changing my mind to order one and will probably order the Asus Deluxe SLI board. Maybe I should wait to see if DFI comes out with a more stable Bios.

I have one of the Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboards, and I would not get the Deluxe. Premium maybe, but not the Deluxe for a couple of reasons.

The Deluxe motherboards are real stinkers to set up and get running ... for example, you have to set the FSB to 201MHZ or else the 100MHZ PCIe setting won't take effect (see www.hardwareanalysis.com for more info). And you cannot keep an Asus chipset fan running on that board ... the fans slowly grind their bearings to dust and the sound they make at 8K RPM is extremely irritating (to my ears, anyway).

personally id say its the source engine for a majority of those games. its very buggy and ppl with ATi and NV cards, single and dual core, crossfire and SLi get errors all the time. i certainly do.

i had errors with source when i had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo 1 gig of ram and a 6800GT, and i get em now too :(

however, for the other games you mentioned, i cant say much.

the exact same prob I am having; crashes in games, lost the display, and a sound loop...had to reset manually.. I even run it with a single only, of course, the x800xl.. and that kind of problem still occuring.. I thought it was my PSU, but then after I read this thread, I thought perhaps it's the bios.. downloading the 11/02 bios now..

And since I have a Silverstone PSU I'll try the fix mentioned earlier in this thread because I've experienced some shutdowns when playing Quake 4 and the latest 1.1 beta patch(enabled dual core optimization there).

I'll get the molex->pcie adapter during my lunch hour.

Post later to let you know. So far the 11/02 BIOS is stable for me.

personally id say its the source engine for a majority of those games. its very buggy and ppl with ATi and NV cards, single and dual core, crossfire and SLi get errors all the time. i certainly do.

i had errors with source when i had an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo 1 gig of ram and a 6800GT, and i get em now too :(

however, for the other games you mentioned, i cant say much.

I never had a problem with Source games on my old rig:

Asus A7N8X-Deluxe

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton

GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

2x 512MB Corsair TwinX

Except of course that I couldn't play the games in their full glory at 1600x1200, heh. Thus the new rig. Plus, the Silicon Image RAID controller on that board was a POS.

Hi guys,

I've been having the same problem here, while playing Fable the Lost Chapters. 1920x1200, SLi Antialiasing 8x and Anisotropic Filtering 4x. It seems to be very random and this also happened twice while running 3DMark06 (not the sound part, obviously...), when I simply lost the Video Card signal... Just a side note, I tried connecting the fdd power connector directly from the PSU and my system would not turn on, just flicker, then, I tried it from one of the splitted ends and it's working fine. This is the only problem I am having and I know I'll eventually get it fixed... Still loving the DFI board, and unlike others in this thread, I am coming from ASUS, TO WHERE I'LL NEVER GO BACK! In one of the many conversations I had with their "technical" support, the guy actually asked me if the chipset fan on my A8N-SLi Premium board was running properly?!? Obviously I just thanked the guy and hung up since after telling him the model of the MOBO 3 times he didn't even know that the chipset cooling was "fanless"... I'll just wait for the new BIOS, since I am running my system with th FX-60. I also had the AMD drivers and Windows hotfix for Dual-Core processors installed.

Just reporting back, it's been almost 2 weeks now and i can say the 11/02 bios is a keeper, no crashes, no monitor out of frequency range.Now it's running the way it's meant to i'm a happy camper :)