NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

It's the card in my sig, an ASUS EN6600GT. It's not alarmingly hot; it isn't uncommon for a chip to get up to 50 C, but idling? The card's fan is also currently the loudest thing on my system with the exception of my 6-year old HDD's whiny noise, both of which are going to eventually be replaced or perhaps the card watercooled.

Hey, when sharp gave me the tutorial to set up my bios I'm having some problems. I noticed when I change my case latency to 2-2-5-2 my comp wont' start, but when I leave it on auto which turns out to be 2.5-3-5-2 it works fine. So what gives? Isn't having your latency to 2-2-5-2 better?

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RAM timings are one thing that I have no idea about. But I would assume that if your computer doesn't start, it is not better. :P

Hey man what's up? Have you ran prime95, and other bench marking programs like 3dmark05 and 06, sandra and all that crazy stuff? I plan on running some of this stuff to test out my system. :nod:

Hey man what's up? Have you ran prime95, and other bench marking programs like 3dmark05 and 06, sandra and all that crazy stuff? I plan on running some of this stuff to test out my system. :nod:

I don't run those programs because I don't yet overclock, and I need to be moving out of my office, not further into it. :P

@ General Septem

This is probably way out in left field but I'd suggest running at least memtest86 and Prime95 for stability testing.

Without doing so you'll never know if you have flawed hardware...stock or not.

Anyways, nice guide Angry.

@ General Septem

This is probably way out in left field but I'd suggest running at least memtest86 and Prime95 for stability testing.

Without doing so you'll never know if you have flawed hardware...stock or not.

Well I've never crashed in the few months I've had it, so I think I'm alright. I have frozen twice but that was software. And occasionally I have to reboot, which is again software. But the hardware is rock solid for what I need, so I think I'm all set.

True, you might not have crashed while doing your every day-to-day tasks.

Running Prime95 will definitely test the stability of your machine. It might seem stable to you but without any stress testing, you won't know for sure.

Here's a little quote from the STRESS.txt file included w/ Prime95:

Q) A forum member said "Don't bother with prime95, it always pukes on me,

and my system is stable!. What do you make of that?"

or

"We had a server at work that ran for 2 MONTHS straight, without a reboot

I installed Prime95 on it and ran it - a couple minutes later I get an error.

You are going to tell me that the server wasn't stable?"

A) These users obviously do not subscribe to the 100% rock solid

school of thought. THEIR MACHINES DO HAVE HARDWARE PROBLEMS.

But since they are not presently running any programs that reveal

the hardware problem, the machines are quite stable. As long as

these machines never run a program that uncovers the hardware problem,

then the machines will continue to be stable.

If you don't plan on OC'ing I guess you'd be ok...but by all means, if you plan on OC'ing in the future, I'd highly suggest running both stability tests.

Bold added for emphasis. :D

True, you might not have crashed while doing your every day-to-day tasks.

Running Prime95 will definitely test the stability of your machine. It might seem stable to you but without any stress testing, you won't know for sure.

Here's a little quote from the STRESS.txt file included w/ Prime95:

If you don't plan on OC'ing I guess you'd be ok...but by all means, if you plan on OC'ing in the future, I'd highly suggest running both stability tests.

Bold added for emphasis. :D

Well I just dl prime95 and I did what angry game tutorial said to do to make 2 shortcuts so that way I can test bot cores out. My stuff is stock right now, but I plan on ocing later. How long would be good to run prime95? I'm going to run it for 24hrs and hopefully one of the cores don't fail and dont get any errors. Do you suggest any other bench marking programs? I have sandra.

When you open up prime95 go to the options/torture test/ custom, in the "memory to use" what did you put? I read that since I have 2gig of mem, that I should put both of them set at 800mb? I noticed that you have a opty175 as well. How is it? This is my new rig since 5 yrs. I'm new to all this stuff.

What does this mean on your rig? CCBWE 0541RPMW)

What if you do get errors? what do you need to do next?

Well I just dl prime95 and I did what angry game tutorial said to do to make 2 shortcuts so that way I can test bot cores out. My stuff is stock right now, but I plan on ocing later. How long would be good to run prime95? I'm going to run it for 24hrs and hopefully one of the cores don't fail and dont get any errors. Do you suggest any other bench marking programs? I have sandra.

24hrs with no errors is plenty. 8hrs w/o any errors is sufficient.

As for benchmarking programs, I have 3DMark2001, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06, Sandra and Everest Ultimate Edition. For stability testing, I use SuperPi, memtest86 and Prime95. (These programs are readily available and most enthusiasts use them.)

When you open up prime95 go to the options/torture test/ custom, in the "memory to use" what did you put? I read that since I have 2gig of mem, that I should put both of them set at 800mb? I noticed that you have a opty175 as well. How is it? This is my new rig since 5 yrs. I'm new to all this stuff.

Yes, I set it to 800. As the tutorial mentioned, you want to leave a little headroom so it won't access the page file.

I'm loving my Opty 175 so far. Going from an old 2.53GHz P4 to this was a drastic change.

Once I OC this baby, I will be loving it even more!

What does this mean on your rig? CCBWE 0541RPMW)

What if you do get errors? what do you need to do next?

Those are the steppings for my processor. They can be found on the top of your proc.

If you get errors, I'd suggest making sure you are using the correct/best BIOS, read through the forums for BIOS tweaks, check the cooling in your case, reseat the CPU if needed, and on and on...

7. Next, plug in ALL FOUR power connectors to the board. You must have a 24-pin power supply with a minimum of 480w of power. Plug in the 24-pin main power connector, then the 4-pin 12v secondary connector.

I'm looking at the DFI Venus and the Expert , and they only have 3 power connectors. The connector near the chipset fan is missing from these boards(unlike in the Ultra-D.) So the 3 connectors should be fine for the Venus/Expert? Or am i missing something? Sorry..first build and all..