NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

Guest n19htmare

I skimmed through the 25 pages and didn't really see a continuation of this thread after the initial build.

What I was really looking for was the difference between orange slots and the yellow slots when it comes to Dual Channel. Do they both perform the same?

For example. Say I put my memory in the Orange slots (# 2 and # 4)...how is that different, if any, then putting them in Yellow slots (#1 and #3)?

Thanks

>MO<

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I skimmed through the 25 pages and didn't really see a continuation of this thread after the initial build.

What I was really looking for was the difference between orange slots and the yellow slots when it comes to Dual Channel. Do they both perform the same?

For example. Say I put my memory in the Orange slots (# 2 and # 4)...how is that different, if any, then putting them in Yellow slots (#1 and #3)?

Thanks

>MO<

there's always been plenty of debate about orange vs yellow slots

on the original (non Expert/Venus) boards, the slots are the same, and you should see no difference.

On the Expert and Venus boards however, for some reason if you are only using 2 DIMM modules, you should stick to the Orange slots

I did a search here, with a clean install of win 2k, loaded drivers, got on the web in a snap with Marvel and upgraded win2k. I need to get a pci to lpt board for a dongle to test my software. But so far, all is well.

I'm not sure if the trial version of xp pro 64 will work with win2k but I will try at a later date.

Angry I want to ask you two questions, my board is a SLI-DR Expert and I want to use an Athlon 3700+ cpu with dual channel memory, the questions are how do I decide which cpu core and which memory to use?

Angry I want to ask you two questions, my board is a SLI-DR Expert and I want to use an Athlon 3700+ cpu with dual channel memory, the questions are how do I decide which cpu core and which memory to use?

um...I'm not quite sure I understand this question

you say you are using a 3700+ cpu, but want to know which core to use?

3700+ is a 2.2Ghz, 1MB L2 cache San Diego core

as for memory...if you like games, photoshop, video editing, anything that we normally use computers for these days....2x1GB of memory is what you want. Check the Recommendations & Hot Deals section for more input on what memory to get.

I haven't bough the cpu yet but I hear there are 3 cores avaialble, San Diego, Northbridge and Winchester so what is the diefferce. In terms of memory can I use 2GB 400Mhz Kingston dual channels up the the max 4GB is it possible?

Northbridge???

never heard of such a core...you maybe mean Newcastle??? (it would be a socket 754 cpu then anyway)

forget 4GB...its not worth the effort nor the money. 2GB is all you need.

as for Kingston...who knows...I don't have any Kingston so I cannot say whether or not it works but it should.

a 3700+ San Diego is the right cpu for you

make sure you have a quality psu