Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures

24hrs with no errors is plenty. 8hrs w/o any errors is sufficient.

As for benchmarking programs, I have 3DMark2001, 3DMark03, 3DMark05, 3DMark06, Sandra and Everest Ultimate Edition. For stability testing, I use SuperPi, memtest86 and Prime95. (These programs are readily available and most enthusiasts use them.)

Yes, I set it to 800. As the tutorial mentioned, you want to leave a little headroom so it won't access the page file.

I'm loving my Opty 175 so far. Going from an old 2.53GHz P4 to this was a drastic change.

Once I OC this baby, I will be loving it even more!

Those are the steppings for my processor. They can be found on the top of your proc.

If you get errors, I'd suggest making sure you are using the correct/best BIOS, read through the forums for BIOS tweaks, check the cooling in your case, reseat the CPU if needed, and on and on...

Well I did ran prime95 and I set both the "memory in use" at 820 and I ran it for 38 hrs, 46 min, with no errors or warnings. How do you get superpi? Is that similar to prime95 where you have to run it for 24hrs?

For 3dmark05 i got 7093 and 3dmark06 3868. From other peoples score my didn't seem to do all that well. Kinda disapointed.

SuperPi -> http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/

Make sure you have two copies (each in their own directory.) Use the task manager to set the affinity for each.

SuperPi doesn't put as much stress on your system as Prime95 does but it is another stability test. You can only run it for a max of 30-35mins (the 32M test.)

I usually run memtest first. If it passes that, I move onto SuperPi. If it passes that, Prime95 is next.

Greetings:

I am Spanish and my reading comprehension in English is not as good as i would like. I also have no experience building whole systems and i have doubts about this initial build tutorial. I hope you can help me. By the way, my motherboard is the LanParty UT nf4 Ultra-D.

1. I have to put the foam padding on the motherboard's box

2. I have to put the motherboard on the foam padding

3. I have to install the CPU and its heatsink

4. I have to plug in the four power connectors

5. I have to plug in a single memory module into the orange DIMM slot closest to the edge of the motherboard

6. I have to install only one VGA card

7. I have to connect the keyboard

8. I have to plug in my VGA card to my monitor cable

9. I have to hit the power switch on the motherboard

Are all those steps right? Is turning on the system with the motherboard put on the foam padding safe for the hardware? I suppose this last question may sound stupid for you, but i am not sure, so i don't mind to ask you. :)

Thank you in advance!

Exactly :nod:

And yes, running it on the foam padding is fine for the hardware. I run my system constantly out of the case because at the moment I basically have no case. It's only vulnerable to physical damage, and it's just as vulnerable with the power off as it is on. Just don't let anyone touch it, drop it or anything on it, spill anything on it, and so on.

Thank you General Septem!

I have one more question: i'd prefer to put the foam padding on a wooden table because it is a firmer and more uniform surface than the motherboard's box. Is it a good alternative?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you General Septem!

I have one more question: i'd prefer to put the foam padding on a wooden table because it is a firmer and more uniform surface than the motherboard's box. Is it a good alternative?

Thank you in advance!

The only problem with that, is that the back of the motherboard really needs to be on the edge of whatever surface you're putting it on. There are little tabs on the PCI cards that protrude from behind the motherboard and slip into slots in the motherboard tray, presumably to hold it in place. Unfortunately, these tabs make it impossible to mount the PCI cards unless there is clearance. You'll see what I mean. You can still put it on the table, though; just put it on the edge.

Thanks to this group, I chose the DFI Ultra D. I booted my box last night successfully to the bios and stopped there do to two 120 fans failing to start.

They were from an electronics surplus house, bad move.

I need to review the bios items and pop back in here to read, I'm sure.

I used the stock cpu fan for now but did not rem the oem paste, must I do that?

I used the stock cpu fan for now but did not rem the oem paste, must I do that?

You don't have to, especially since you're only using the stock HSF anyway. Stock HSF with AS5 still won't give you enough to overclock most likely, so why bother.

Actually, AMD has been packaging some of their CPUs with really nice HSFs. So I wouldn't necessarily say you can't OC w/ one.

Actually, AMD has been packaging some of their CPUs with really nice HSFs. So I wouldn't necessarily say you can't OC w/ one.

Actually you're right. At normal load (that's with all my messengers, p2p/bittorrent programs and and FireFox up but not an extremely heavy load) I idle at around 29C, and even going below that depending on the temperature in the room. Mind you I don't have my PC inside a case and my "case fan" is a gigantic 30" box fan, but that's still not bad lol

The basic win2k was installed, it opened, then I tried to install the drivers from the dfi dvd. I don,t have drivers yet for the ati card but now it just is stuck in a loop, rebooting.