Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Anyone hear about TEAMGroup? They will be releasing a 2x1G kit with 5B-F chips and they found a way to make them last long!

Currently on page 30/56 lol, I read somewhere that someone wanted someone to get the volts from certain pins on the dimm slot, and I haven't seen anyone do it, so I'll get my fluke out tomorrow ;)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been four months since I've originally assembled my PC in August and what a nightmare those four months have been.. For the first two weeks the system was relatively stable, no BSODs, no shutdowns, everything you expect to get after shelling out $300+ for high performance memory.. After the first two weeks one of the sticks turned up bad during a memtest check, so it got returned for an rma to Newegg.. The second stick ran ok for another two weeks, but then the BSOD's returned.. After tolerating random black screen power cycling for another two months (no memtest errors found), and replacing a PSU to potentially eliminate the possibility of a bad power supply, I called up crucial to RMA both sticks.. The replacement set was received a week ago, one stick already had errors straight out of the box, the other passed memtest just fine.. Crucial would only RMA one stick of a matched pair. The other stick, which was error free, has been running stable at 3-3-3-8 250mhz 2.8v. Throughout this experience I've never taken the memory above 250mhz, BSOD's would occur even at 200mhz, settings were usually on auto, and the X2 was never stable even at its rated speed of 2200mhz.

Incidentally, I haven't had a single BSOD, or black screen reboot since the replacement memory arrived last week. Another odd observation is that system/cpu temp reading appear to have dropped 5-7 degrees celcius.. No other changes were made other than replacing the memory... Frankly, I'm baffled, but starting to believe that this belief of memory degradation from bad batches of Ballistix that overheat is probably true..

Ballistix RMA replacement 11/30

CL1115W.VX

BL12864Z503.16TD

It's been approximately 7 weeks since the RMA'd memory was installed and running at 2.6v @ 250mhz.. In the past week the reboots have returned; the system has locked up 3 times, just freezing up.. In the past 2 hours, 2 black screen reboots and 1 lockup.. Just upped the voltage to 2.7v but it looks like the stability of this memory is degrading just like previous sets..

It's been two weeks approximately since my last post.. Settings have remained unchanged, the RAM is now unstable at 2.7v and has rebooted 3 times today alone.. I sure hope Crucial is going to do the right thing and refund money if they discontinue the ballistix line because like a lot of people I've lost a lot of time and energy dealing with this defective product over the past 6 months..

One week since the last post here.. The ballistix crapped out at 2.8v at 250mhz and started rebooting.. Turned the setting down to 2.8v at 240mhz and today the same thing, reboots... Settings are now at 2.8v 230mhz

So in the past month alone, this memory has gone from stable at 2.6v 250mhz to unstable at 2.8v 240mhz.... This third set of replacement memory has only been around since thanksgiving, approximately two months time..

If crucial hasn't started refunding anyone's money and refuses to do so with those people who purchased from Newegg that are past Newegg's 30 day RMA window, it's time to start looking at legal options

btw, when i'm sure that it's the ballistix at fault what should i do (they are showing the symptoms, details on the thread in the above post^^)? i got it from newegg (all of my parts). should i ask them for an RMA or a different set all together since i'm in touch with this ballistix thread and there's no cure to it. what other RAM should i go for? mushkin? ocz?

edit01: got ballistix on 12/2.

Guest Crimson

I checked with Crucial yesterday and they indicate they are out of stock of replacements.. no ETA as to when they will have more.. Sigh..

These sticks are like a turbo-charged race cars gas milage - if you have the peddle to the metal and are in full boost all the time, your gas isn't gonna last too long.

If your PC is on 24/7 and you overclock your Ballistix, soon enough they will not run at said speed - you might need more voltage, or you might need to drop them down in speed some. If you never overclock them, or run them at 200mhz, then it might take a long time to notice them dying (but they are probably loosing the potential you aren't using).

Of course this is all speculation based on what has been posted around the web about everyones sticks dying over time. But as a owner of this ram, it concerns me... since soon enough I will have to RMA my sticks again. And I'm wondering what the replacements will be when there is no more left. I made a neat (w/ some sarcasism) time line of the life a ballistix 1GB stick :D

ballistixlife2hp.th.jpg