Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

I read this post very carefully before deciding to buy Crucial - I did, Crucial Ballisitx Tracer, and so far no problems. Running kit BL12864L503.16TD at DDR500 3-4-4-8 1T 2.8v for over a month with no problems. Anything tighter than 3-4-4-8 at DDR500 will fail memtest and Prime 95, so will running it at anything over DDR500. Upping the voltage doesn't seem to help either...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crimson

I'm interested in what Newegg will replace these with, when I contacted their RMA department they indicated they would NOT tell me what they would replace them with before I sent them back, which is why I sent them to Crucial first.. as I didn't know if Newegg was going to take back my ram, then offer me some crap in exchange.

I then asked if I could PURCHASE different ram, and then be refunded for these sticks, and they indicated NO. I'm afraid I'm going to get offered lesser ram by Newegg after they have my Ballistix.. and I will have no choice but to accept it.

RMA# xxxxxxxx was successfully delivered to our warehouse on 2/8/2006. This is simply a confirmation of delivery email; an additional notification indicating all of the contents we have received will be sent to your email address once we open the RMA'd package.

Type of RMA: RMA Repair

Hmm, I did call them before I sent the old ones in last Friday and they indicated that I would get another set of Ballistics. They also would not let me exchange them for something else since it's well past 30 days.

I certainly hope newegg doesn't try to jerk me around since I've spent several thousand dollors with them over the years and would hate to have to look elsewhere when I need new parts.

I'm interested in what Newegg will replace these with, when I contacted their RMA department they indicated they would NOT tell me what they would replace them with before I sent them back, which is why I sent them to Crucial first.. as I didn't know if Newegg was going to take back my ram, then offer me some crap in exchange.

I then asked if I could PURCHASE different ram, and then be refunded for these sticks, and they indicated NO. I'm afraid I'm going to get offered lesser ram by Newegg after they have my Ballistix.. and I will have no choice but to accept it.

normally if newegg is out of stock they will offer a replacement or money back in the value of the ram today

Crucial is foul...

I think those that purchased this RAM should possibly consider what their/ your legal options are...it's evident they sold a faulty product and now their re-negging on the terms of service. How do you RMA a part that is no longer manufactured and then after the part inevitably dies, tell the customer to take another, same defective part or tough cookies. Sad truth is that all the RMA's are actually helping them liquidate the bad batch(s) even faster...also, quiet as kept, the overall markup of these pieces is well over 500%...so how many RMA's is that? and how many times will the average user go through the RMA process?

just food for thought,

h

Sometimes being on the bleeding edge hurts.

I don't think anybody has lost any limbs, or had their house burn down due to their ram dying a slow death, but yes, it is quite a hassle, but so far newegg, and Crucial have not intentionally ripped anyone off - yet.

And, to be honest, my ram didn't start acting up until right after I started pushing it to [email protected]. It started crapping 3 days after that but ran for 2 months before that at [email protected]. Abuse? Not by my standards because I've never lost any hardware due to pushing it too hard - it either runs, or it doesn't run, but it doesn't go pop! So yes, this ram seems to have a design or mfg flaw, but as long as I don't get ripped of in the remediation, whether it be replacement or refund, I'm OK with it. So far, other than the hassle of RMA, so good.

Guest Crimson

As I said earlier I don't think its the pushing of this ram which is killing it.. I run mine BELOW spec (237mhz), and have been since I got it (3+ months), and it still failed.. So I don't think pushing the envelope is whats killing it.. maybe it accelerates it, but not causes it.

A lot of the problems seem to be from the Z503's. My L503's have had no problems like I said. It is interesting though to see so many people with dead RAM, which leads me to think that there must have been a bad batch somewhere...

I had to by mine online since I am in Australia, and only one store stocks them - luckily it is local. What I noticed was that the batch numbers change very often with crucial products - and so does their list of supporting motherboards. When I first bought the Crucial, my old ASUS A8N-SLI premium was supported at DDR500, but when the new batches were shipped, Crucial withdrew their support for DDR500 and downscaled it to DDR400.

If you have a look on their website, DFI aren't listed as supported motherboards. This is more than likely due to *possibly* bad batched that were released....

"Dear valued customer,

We have recently received the RMA you have sent back to us for replacement. This email is to inform you that your item is currently out of stock or has since been discontinued. Because we cannot guarantee when this item will be available, and you are within our 30-day refund time period, a full refund will be credited to your account."

newegg 0wnz!

My original purchase was in September.

Again, I wasn't kidding when I said that I have spent thousands with newegg. The only time I don't buy from newegg is when they don't carry what I want. I'm sure that may have something to do with it, but then again, maybe not. They have always treated me well though.

My original purchase was in September.

Again, I wasn't kidding when I said that I have spent thousands with newegg. The only time I don't buy from newegg is when they don't carry what I want. I'm sure that may have something to do with it, but then again, maybe not. They have always treated me well though.

That my friend is highly awesome ;)

let's now bow our heads in prayer, so that others will be as lucky as you(myself included)