Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB PC4000 kit gone bad (merged)

Hi all,

Just purchased the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D to replace my Asus A8N-SLI. I can't seem to get the memory to run through MemTest without errors no matter what settings I try. I used RGone's settings in the sticky which reduced the errors, but I still get errors in test 5 around the 530MB mark. RGone's settings also make my RAM run at 2.5-4-4-7 which is more like Value RAM than my 2-2-2-6 rated Ballistix.

I have gone up to 3.0V in the BIOS with no joy. I am using BIOS 218. The same RAM ran in my Asus board with no problems at its rated speed.

I am not overclocking at the moment - want to get it stable first! Can anyone help?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Just purchased the DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D to replace my Asus A8N-SLI. I can't seem to get the memory to run through MemTest without errors no matter what settings I try. I used RGone's settings in the sticky which reduced the errors, but I still get errors in test 5 around the 530MB mark. RGone's settings also make my RAM run at 2.5-4-4-7 which is more like Value RAM than my 2-2-2-6 rated Ballistix.

I have gone up to 3.0V in the BIOS with no joy. I am using BIOS 218. The same RAM ran in my Asus board with no problems at its rated speed.

I am not overclocking at the moment - want to get it stable first! Can anyone help?

QQ Have you qualified each stick individually? In different slots? I ask because you say the error is at 530MB.

RGone...'s settings. WHAT in h*ll are RGone's settings???

They are nothing more or less than some settings I tried and worked for me with a couple of sets of memory on one motherboard. GOD did not give them to me as gospel and end all or BE all. Just a user doing some serious testing to try and find a possible happy medium to get a few users going. At last count I recognize 9 users that the settings worked for and they are now happily tuning them for their specific board instead of being in the process of RMA. That is all the settings were about in the first place. They are not a holy grail of nothing.

I have some 3200 Crucial Ballistix that I use basically on those settings to run at 265X9 with NO Memtest 1.51 errors and is prime stable. BUT and this BUT is tremendous, if I change the CPU on my BOARD>>> the settings MUST change. Same board and memory BUT change the processor and the inbuilt to processor; memory controller> forces memory timing changes.

Same board and same memory but change the processor and the settings MUST change so that leaves me knowing that all processors are NOT equal and that RGone's settings are not god given by no stretch of anybody's imagination. Just a guideline if one is looking for a get close, "maybe", starting point.

RGone...

RGone...'s settings. WHAT in h*ll are RGone's settings???

They are nothing more or less than some settings I tried and worked for me with a couple of sets of memory on one motherboard. GOD did not give them to me as gospel and end all or BE all. Just a user doing some serious testing to try and find a possible happy medium to get a few users going. At last count I recognize 9 users that the settings worked for and they are now happily tuning them for their specific board instead of being in the process of RMA. That is all the settings were about in the first place. They are not a holy grail of nothing.

I have some 3200 Crucial Ballistix that I use basically on those settings to run at 265X9 with NO Memtest 1.51 errors and is prime stable. BUT and this BUT is tremendous, if I change the CPU on my BOARD>>> the settings MUST change. Same board and memory BUT change the processor and the inbuilt to processor; memory controller> forces memory timing changes.

Same board and same memory but change the processor and the settings MUST change so that leaves me knowing that all processors are NOT equal and that RGone's settings are not god given by no stretch of anybody's imagination. Just a guideline if one is looking for a get close, "maybe", starting point.

RGone...

Woah! Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean it to come across that the settings in your sticky thread were supposed to fix all problems, I just wanted to point out that I tried them so people knew I had actually expended a bit of my time trying to sort out my problem before posting.

Over the years you've helped me with many of my boards on various forums (Iwill K266-R, Abit NF-7S) and all of these boards have turned out to be great after the initial problems. I am sure the DFI will prove to be the same - I just need a little help!!

I too have fiddled with the Ballistix 3200 on my Ultra-D. No joy. I cannot get it through more than 6 minutes of mem86+ (newest) without errors.

I first put the ram in one of my P4 rigs, and it ran mem86+ for 2 hours with no

issues, which led me to believe it was the DFI board. I then tried each stick

seperately, one failed in 10 minutes, the other ran for 20.. I give up, I'm RMA'ing

the memory and trying something else. I don't think it's defective, I just don't

think this board plays nice with it. I tried many timings and voltages up to 3.0.

@ jhbodle, not a problem man. I think I may take what I posted above and insert to that first post of mine in the get going thread. I just want people to get it correct that one set of timings and settings will not work on every board out in the real world and that I do NOT have some inside track to timings or settings to use but merely have tested to a possible configuration that may help a few get started. Again, nothing more or less. Hehehehe.

And my board and Crucial Ballistix PC3200 acts very differently when I swap in another processor with no other changes made. So that leads me to know that the processor can have a HUGE bearing on what is happening> either for the good or bad.

Again, man no problem as I just need every now and then to shake up lethargy of some to understand that I do not know it all. I find each day that I know less and less because there is so much more needing, knowing. Hehehehe. Just a friggin MS red-nake trying to help a little.

RGone...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and would need some help to run my setup correctly.

I have also 2x512 Crucial Ballistix PC3200 & some problems with them. Actually I'm running them at 250x9 1:1 2,5-2-2-6 timmings, that is memtest & prime stable. Problem is I cannot run them stable with 10x multi, at least in 1:1 memory settings. I can't run 250x10 1:1, but I can 250x10 with 180/200 divider, what is strange is neither can't run 250x10 with 166/200 divider. This is weird, CAS 3 doesn't work with the DFI, in other boards it's fine. Max overclock stable is 265mhz 2,5-4-4-9, with 3-4-4-10 I know they can do 280mhz, but not on this mobo. Anything more than 200 fsb with 10x multi doesn't load windows, the board keeps rebooting after IRQ checking.

I think we need a new bios revision to fix the problems with Ballistix ram, actually I think is very good ram with tight timmings and doesn't need more than 2,9v to shine.

I tested the board with 2x256 BH-5, and here all is working flawlessly, every multi, and FSB until 272mhz. Also I tried 2 different winchester 3200+ so the problem must be the board not the processor.

I think you're right, it just needs a BIOS upgrade for this board to be a winner with Crucial Ballistix. May I ask what BIOS settings you are using to run at 250x9? Maybe they'll work with my RAM!

I don't see why increasing the multi would stop the RAM from working correctly - have you tried altering the HTT multiplier and the LDT and chipset voltage to see if that helps?

I think you're right, it just needs a BIOS upgrade for this board to be a winner with Crucial Ballistix. May I ask what BIOS settings you are using to run at 250x9? Maybe they'll work with my RAM!

I don't see why increasing the multi would stop the RAM from working correctly - have you tried altering the HTT multiplier and the LDT and chipset voltage to see if that helps?

I tried HTT multi & LDT voltages, even running 2T with no luck. The BIOS settings I left all by default after loading optimized default & only changed CAS latency, TRAS, RAS precharge, ras to cas & CPC enable. Also tried RGone's settings but it didn't work for me. What we need is someone test new bios with Ballistix ram, not only TCCD & Winbond.

This is what my ram does stable, if it is of interest for you to try:

255mhz 2.5-2-2-6 3.0v

250mhz 2.5-2-2-6 2.9v

240mhz 2.5-2-2-6 2.7v

220mhz 2.0-2-2-6 2.9v

265mhz 2.5-4-4-9 2.9v

If I was abble to use CL3, I think it could do 260+ mhz with 3-2-2-6

Also I have a question for you, how do you run 2x Leadtek's 6800GT in SLI? The Heatsinks is massive and I suppose you modded them or replaced with another heatsink.

I tried HTT multi & LDT voltages, even running 2T with no luck. The BIOS settings I left all by default after loading optimized default & only changed CAS latency, TRAS, RAS precharge, ras to cas & CPC enable. Also tried RGone's settings but it didn't work for me. What we need is someone test new bios with Ballistix ram, not only TCCD & Winbond.

This is what my ram does stable, if it is of interest for you to try:

255mhz 2.5-2-2-6 3.0v

250mhz 2.5-2-2-6 2.9v

240mhz 2.5-2-2-6 2.7v

220mhz 2.0-2-2-6 2.9v

265mhz 2.5-4-4-9 2.9v

If I was abble to use CL3, I think it could do 260+ mhz with 3-2-2-6

Ah, I've heard that if you change the 'Max Async Latency' to 7.0 you should get better results. If not, try upping it some more. Thanks for the settings, will give them a try and post my results.

Another thought too - I'm gonna set my CPU multi to 9x and see if the RAM is any more stable - you may be onto something there...

Well the 9x CPU multi thing didn't alter anything for me - I still got errors in Memtest.

Tried clearing CMOS and using standard DRAM settings - no go. Tried upping to 3.0v RAM voltage and 1.4v LDT voltage - no go. Tried lowering the CL latency to 2.5 - no difference. Even my own advice mentioned above (increasing the Max Async Latency) had no effect.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there a BIOS fix in the works at all?