Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

Well it seems to work for me. Almost 20 hours in , 2 work units sent in for 1174 points and a third wu worth 716 points 26 % done. Time is still synced within 1 minute give or take 30 seconds. It took a little rereading of the process but it works. Only thing i am missing now is how to monitor the client while running it in vmware? :foldon:

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linux cannot safely write to a NTFS file system. You would have to create a FAT32 partition for the two OSs to share. A posted a link to a guide in this thread that explains how to do it.

I am using Ubuntu 6.10 and am not having any issues uploading WUs (well, 2 so far any way).

Linux cannot safely write to a NTFS file system. You would have to create a FAT32 partition for the two OSs to share. A posted a link to a guide in this thread that explains how to do it.

I am using Ubuntu 6.10 and am not having any issues uploading WUs (well, 2 so far any way).

I did not know that, I have it running on NTFS no problems so far.

When you set up VMWare and told it how much disk space to use, Ubuntu then partitioned that space as an ext3 partition

On the dual boot I installed with the disk and let it install it in which it put on my second partition (a 250gb split in half windows on the first), I guess it changed it also?

Edited by road-runner

ok noob question. i have my E6600 and am tempted by this idea.

however, does Ubuntu run like a "virtual" OS in that it will operate *inside* windows xp as i use it? IE, i can use XP day to day and check up on WUs? it wasn't clear to me you see, so if someone can confirm, i will attempt to get it set up on friday.

Absolutely. You install the VMWare server on your Windows machine and Ubuntu runs inside that as a virual OS. You can alt-Tab over to check on it just like any Windows app. Inside VMWare though, Ubuntu works just like regular Linux.

On the dual boot I installed with the disk and let it install it in which it put on my second partition (a 250gb split in half windows on the first), I guess it changed it also?

Yes, it will have reformatted that partition into a Linux file structure, probably ext3.

Yes, it will have reformatted that partition into a Linux file structure, probably ext3.

Well that explains how it is working then. I thought it just went on the NTFS and was working on it. Learn something new every day.

:foldon:

Absolutely. You install the VMWare server on your Windows machine and Ubuntu runs inside that as a virual OS. You can alt-Tab over to check on it just like any Windows app. Inside VMWare though, Ubuntu works just like regular Linux.

expect my machine on SMP by the end of the week!