Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

If a single dual-core AMD @ 2.8ish can really crank out 1000+ ppd reliably, that's going to totally change the face of folding.

No kidding!

I've got the macmini C2D folding SMP now and has completed three projects in 2 days. The AMD X2 is now steady on SMP. It took a 6.07.1 install (versus the 6.10) and "sudo" runtime command for both i32 libs and fah5. But now she is churning away - avg 3 mins a step.

This is nuts -- I've added 2K points in 24 hours, where I used to average just over that a week!! Not that I am complaining ... but it'll just make everyone get on board that much faster.

Cheers!

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ubuntu is hanging. I've tried everything. If I reboot it it just goes to a black screen with blinking cursor. Though there is HDD activity initially (I left it alone for 30 mins) nothing happens.

Argh!

So I figured it out -- I downloaded and burnt the full GA of Ubuntu 6.07.1 and installed fine.

Also, key piece of info that I picked up on along the way ...

You may need to run "sudo" command for i32 libs everytime you start the client. Also, I had to edit the "FAH" alias to run the fah5 client as "sudo" (super user) to get over the permissions on the log files.

Since then, everything is good!

Cranking em out, baby! About to have my first 10K month - 9999 right now - and I'm going to blow away my week record of 2500 pts, already at 1800 on Tuesday!

Well After 30 mins of setup with VMware on my new install for my new Core 2 Duo toy I cant seem to get it to let me install...VMware says I don't have a 64bit compatable CPU...

@ 1am I think I'm out of ideas for the moment...Actually after posting this I'm gonna reboot with my x64 Ubuntu ISO and see what happens...ill post sometime tomorrow I guess...

Well After 30 mins of setup with VMware on my new install for my new Core 2 Duo toy I cant seem to get it to let me install...VMware says I don't have a 64bit compatable CPU...

@ 1am I think I'm out of ideas for the moment...Actually after posting this I'm gonna reboot with my x64 Ubuntu ISO and see what happens...ill post sometime tomorrow I guess...

My Pentium D 915 said the same thing it does not have V.T. I went dual boot on it. I had to enable V.T. on the 920 for it to work.

Edited by road-runner

Smp nooblet reporting for duty :D I added 2 CD2 rigs & trying to get a Pent-D 950 to join the fight (being stubborn)

very nice, when I check my conquests I see you, but I can't keep up :) 2 C2D rigs and a D-950, I can't fight that with my E6400 @ 3.35 and he x1950pro!

Well the problem is apparently VT, after much searching it appears that the little known fact about the E4300 (and likely any future E4x00 CPUs) is that it lacks Virtualization Technology, considering Intel's Product Brief state's Core 2 Duo CPUs support VT, no mention of certain models lacking support it sort of pisses me off...

I MIGHT dual boot, but considering it's the main rig, don't count on it...

Well the problem is apparently VT, after much searching it appears that the little known fact about the E4300 (and likely any future E4x00 CPUs) is that it lacks Virtualization Technology, considering Intel's Product Brief state's Core 2 Duo CPUs support VT, no mention of certain models lacking support it sort of pisses me off...

I MIGHT dual boot, but considering it's the main rig, don't count on it...

Your right it has no V.T.

what version of linux is everyone using? ubuntu 6.10? Just wondering because I keep having occasional problems and was wondering if anyone else was too.

Also, when dual booting, is there a way to switch between OS other than rebooting? And are all hard drives accessible by both OS?

what version of linux is everyone using? ubuntu 6.10? Just wondering because I keep having occasional problems and was wondering if anyone else was too.

Also, when dual booting, is there a way to switch between OS other than rebooting? And are all hard drives accessible by both OS?

On dual boot AFAIK you have to reboot, the only way to switch back and forth is using Vmware in windows. And yes I am using Ubuntu 6.10. I am not sure about the hard drives I have not took time to reboot into windows and see but I would think not?