What Brands To Stay Away From

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My blacklist:

1. Abit - Picky BIOS settings and picky on different brands of RAM

2. HSING TECH - Bad build quality and the constant use of SiS chipsets.

3. XFX - Anything from Pine is not worth my money.

4. Soyo - Poor overclockers and too overpriced for what they are worth and what they can do.

5. AsRock: - Still too new to be dealt with. BIOS needs work on some other models. Eg: Refuse to boot from CD.

My wishlist:

1. Asus - has been good to me for over 7 years.. not a single board I have owned has had glitches or failures.

2. MSI - Good all round performance and stability

3. Gigabyte - Dual BIOS is handy, the option of both P-ATA RAID and S-ATA RAID is nice on a few of their models.

4. Albatron - A low cost brand with excellent stability. Great for a person that needs a basic well built board and doesn't have much cash.

Edited by FxXP

This is the mega Uber, only listen to me list....

The Good

DFI- great OCers, voltage options enough to kill any chip, RAM, etc... Best AMD XP board maker

Asus- Lacks high voltage options but good to me over the years

Abit - Consistent board quality, stable, good voltage options.... Best current P4 mobo maker

MSI- Good quality for the price. Not to flashy, but not the top of the OCing list. Great stable budget boards

The bad

PC Chips

ECS - Good only if you want to return about 50% of your boards... No OCing, no QC

Asrock - They are the neglected step child of Asus, buy an asus instead of this

Jetway -

Shuttle - only the non-SFF PCs

Soyo

Syntax

Albatron

Biostar

See I'm right...

:rolleyes:

I have had some kind of trouble out of every asus product, that i have bought...not just mobos.....besides the CUSL2-C (kick arse PIII board)

That's odd, because I've had nothing but joy with ASUS. I've been using their stuff for about 5 years, and I'm always impressed with it. Always good little overclockers, too.

STAY AWAY from Intel mobos, though. I didn't choose this PC, I got it cos I have dyslexia, and although I upgraded the graphics card from a 5200 to a 5600 (which I put in my g.f's PC, I have an ASUS 9600xt in this one) they wouldn't let me pic a non-intel mobo, as they have a contract with intel :(

Well, this mobo is shocking, POST takes forever, there's no OC options, no thermal monitors (which I have had in ALL my ASUS mobos) the PSU molex is in an awquard position... Never again!!!

I just bought me an ASUS P4P800 for my 3.0C and within 3 weeks, my BIOS went bad and i could not POST nor boot windows... I sent it back to Newegg and hopefully i will get a refund so i can use the 119 bucks i spent on it and put it towards a new mobo. I still think ASUS is a good bard but i wouldnt make it your first choice. ;)

Oh heck... seeing as we're all replying to a long since dead thread... recently rebirthed :P here's a few more opinions your way ;)

Problematic experiences with...

Intel produced m/boards

BioStar mobo's

FIC

aOpen

Rave review material...

MSI

EPOX

last 2 make worthy folding boxes :D:foldon:

Now of course we all have differing opinions, but here are my personal choices. If I don't list it, I'm neutral about them...probably meaning I've never used a board by them.

I like:

Asus

MSI

Albatron

Abit

I don't like:

ECS and their billion clones

Intel

FIC

Soyo