AMD vs. Intel

I understand your view here, and I guess your right. Clock does not matter. I know the 64 can kill the Intel, but what about like the Athlon XP 3200+ QuantiSpeed? What does that stack up to a intel (Just wondering because I may buy a AMD =P)

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro-- The 3200+ does not perform as well as a 3.2C does. It performs about the same as a 3.0C. Unfortunately, AMD's rating system began to get skewed when intel released the 800fsb chips.

Ayokona--Turn their 32 bit chips into 64 bit chips? Woah, that's weird. I wonder how that would work...

Anyway, I just get mad at intel when I see them playing the clock speed game...you know, releasing things that have a higher clock speed (and thus cost more money wich = more profit for intel), but aren't any faster than the existing chips. I hate how they don't compare the performance of their own chips. It's like with AMD the athlon xp rating system directly compares the performance to the t-bird core, and the Duron is rated by it's actual clock (rather than the rating system) which also keeps its performance in perspective. Intel just throws around Arbitrary measurements. Like the celeron...sure it comes in speeds up to like 2.6ghz, but it's still slow as heck.

But anyway, I guess we'll just have to see. Prescott may be great, but it's going to rely heavily on achieving high clock speeds. I'm having flashbacks to Williamette here...

yamhill is moving along, but is still ove a year away. prescott is a way to shut some people up and hopefully save some face.

it's problem is the long drawn out pipelines. it's like having a bunch of piipes on a slight angle. you take a marble and drop it in there. in a longer tube it will reach a higher speed, however there is no way to interupt it, or if the marble gets jammed up, it's very tough to get it out. This would give them a serious advantage in audio/video encoding. Amd's athlon XP has a very short set of pipes, so it's easy to get it to change directions. The athlon 64 chips have longer pipes, but also have the ability to interupt them which allows for good performance over all.

Nitro: the xp rating system is NOT against the P4 it's against the old athlon thunderbird. IF the thunderbird worked it's way up to 3.2ghz it would be as fast as the athlon xp 3200+. the athlon 64's rating is against the P4... the FX and opteron make no sense at all with thier naming

Edited by bigred

Well you are going too far Eva.....

Clock speed doesn't matter to an extent....

With the right FSB and High clock.... thats where ppl win with the Intel's...

Thats where It shows in the marks....

(dont get me wrong when 64bit software comes out it will be a whole diff't story i have a dualie opteron server running DC just waiting for an OS...)

Edit: On another note...i read somewhere they were interviewing some intel guy and he said when 64bit software comes out supposedly Intel has something for the Xeon's and P4's to become 32 and 64bit capable around the corner..I forgot the codename Im gonna search for it and post back...)

that cpu is going to endup being 2500 bucks too as opposed to 500 with an amd 64bit cpu.

Well seeing that Intel is cutting P4 prices up to 33% in the next while before Yamhill's so called release in 2K5, you can only imagine how much that the CPU would cost...probably double the price as when the first P4's rolled off the shelves years ago which was around $400 U.S. for a 1.7 model.

$2500 for a cpu? lmfao. you can get a nice quad xeon or opteron setup for that... but you won't even be getting a single itanium 2 chip for that price, let alone a board and ram to go with it.

Personally I'm sick and tired of hearing the AMD vs Intel fight. it's no longer comparing apples to apples, they've splintered off so much in thier product lines and the direction they're going about it.

Personally I'm sick and tired of hearing the AMD vs Intel fight. it's no longer comparing apples to apples, they've splintered off so much in thier product lines and the direction they're going about it.

I agree completely. Both companies have their strong points. Can't we all just get along??