AMD vs. Intel

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they aren't completely separate...they share things like cache, execution units, and buses. (<----taken from the datasheets off Intel's website) I guess it's more like 1.5 cores or so...anyway, it is still seen by windows as a single processor, because it is.

If anybody wants to see the datasheets, download them here. I got the info above on page 9.

Heh when I upgraded from home to pro (sis wanted windows xp and got my copy of home) I spent 90 bucks on ebay and got an oem version (straight oem doesnt have dell or hp stuff on it)

As for chips here is how i see it

Amd= bang for buck and power for mhz

Intel is

Power through higher speeds but at a higher cost

Both chips are good but my budget only allowed amd but I would be happy with either of the same level

For a while I use INtel because you didn't have to worry about any incompatibility issues.

I've since moved on to AMD, as the Athlons are every bit the processor that the Pentium is. "More bang for the buck."

As for the HT discussion... ya'll might want to brush up on your facts...

Operating Systems that Include Optimizations for Hyper-Threading Technology @ support.intel.com

Windows XP and Hyper-Threading @ Suport.microsoft.com

XP Home does support HT.

AMD is, as everyone says, bang for the buck. However, for about $260 or so you can get a p4 barebone w/8x agp pc3200 support and a 533 mhz fsb 2.4ghz p4 processor. My dad just bought one. Runs wonderfully. Not that great for OC'ing, but for the average user... Why not? I'm still a hardcore AMD fan (maybe cuz I root 4 the underdog :P ) Just one man's two cents.