AMD vs. Intel

For me, I would definately choose AMD when factoring the price, but if I had the moeny, I would go with Intel. I read somewhere that AMD is better than Intel in the 2.6GHz and slower processors (2600+ I mean) while intel is better in everything else. As for the 64bit PC's, I don't know, as everything is moving so fast.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow alot of people here seem to really like AMD :D I also noticed you all keep saying that AMD is so much cheaper than Intel man I must be shoping at the wrong stores lol I'm right in the middle of building my first computer so I hope you don't mind if I ask you all a question or two? first I can get a INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0C GHZ S478 512KB 800FSB for $344.99 or a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400FSB for $334.99 as far as performance versus price what do do think is the better? also what mother board would you recommend for each chip ..txs inadvance

First off you should start another thread for this question...

Secondly welcome to OCC...

I don't know where you are getting those prices for your AMD or INTEL CPU's for that matter...

Go here and look up CPU's and find out the prices

http://www.pricewatch.com/

Furthermore I would suggest ANY "C" Series INTEL CPU over a "32bit" AMD CPU...

If you go 64bit, well there's only one route you can go, AMD which is more expensive but well worth it.

as far as Motherboards go between an Asus, DFI, Abit, or MSI....

GL!

personally.... *biasedangit ilike intel beter... for the dumbest reason.... all 5.. and maybe 6 today of all my computers are intels... a intel 33mhz.. 166mhz .. 88mhz.. 1.4ghz and my 3.6ghz

soo all in all.. i like intel beter... maybe because allmy comps are intels? i honestly can say....

i have NEVER used an amd before :ph34r::blink::(

You cant compage AMD 64 bit with a Pentium 32 bit. Your comparing apples and oranges. When Intel finally (if ever) releases a 64 bit processor then the comparisons begin.

As far as overclocking...I am noticing more and more that Intels are better suited for ocin. I've got mine oced by 800 MHz!! Thats almost twice as fast as my old P3 system (450Mhz). More then likely it runs cooler.

it sounds like intel could be well past thier 12-18 month time frame for the 64 bit desktop chips. could be closer to 2 years till they get going. I think the delay has to do with the prescott release, and someone at intel not wanting to repeat that one.

they should join powers... "IntMD"

seriously, think of what they could churn out if they came together! wow...

Yea its called a MONOPOLY :(

And you can count on prices SKYRocketing if that ever happened.....

(but never will)

Intel is a split off of AMD...

or so im told :ph34r:

other way around, AMD got into the cpu business as a subcontractor of Intel's. they used to make some of the intel 486 chips back in the day. look on some 486 chips out there before AMD started making thier own (sx 25 and sx 33 models), and you'll clearly seem intel's name in big bold letters, however down on the area of the chip that shows the stepping ect you may find AMD or even cyrix's name there.

I personally prefer AMD from the experiance i've had the AMD's have ran a little cooler and more stable. And of course AMD's multiplier's can be unlocked and Pentium's can't so as a geek lol that kinda seals my pick haha...From what i've been hearing about the Athlon FX series from AMD, Intel had better get it's butt in gear or they are gonna be put out of business. All in all I like both chips both companies make a good chip, I guess it really just comes down to personal prefernce.

][Nerm][

Hmmmm... Intel's vs. Amd's (not including A64's) <_< personally I like both :P

However with recent experiences r/t Retro flavoured processors gen 6 I found that surprisingly, the Intel's have outshone my AMD's from a similar production period ;)

So forced to choose... Intel yeah! ;)