AMD vs. Intel

they should join powers... "IntMD"

seriously, think of what they could churn out if they came together! wow...

Yea its called a MONOPOLY :(

And you can count on prices SKYRocketing if that ever happened.....

(but never will)

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are laws against them becoming one company, due to cyrix/via's barely existant market share. if they would have done it back in the mid 90's... no problem cuz then cyrix had 1/4 of the cpu market (bigger than amd's share at the time). Now it's something like 65% intel 33% amd and 2% cyrix

Yeah, Cyrix's day in the sun has long since passed. I'm curious though...Has anybody here ever tried out one of the socket 478 C3 chips? I wonder how well they overclock. Supposedly they run on real low voltages and run really cool. (you can passively cool them, or at least the previous socket 370 versions)

Hey Guys, sorry to but in but this is why I like AMD. They let me RMA a chip that got chipped by a V9 on installation by a 3rd party business from Nor-Cal. The RMA request was about a year old and they still honored it, I've never had to deal with customer service from them before so I thought this was pretty cool. Better RMA service than MSI too.

Dear ALEX,

This is a confirming email for your AMD reference number 11****.  We

have received your AXDA2200DKV3C (AMD OPN#) processor(s), with serial

number(s) OEM in our AMD Technical Service Center on 02/10/04 00:00:00.

As mentioned in the previous email, we reserve the right to inspect and

test the processor(s) to determine the cause of failure (failures other

than product defect may be returned without replacement).  Our goal is

to process the return, inspect and test as required, and, upon approval,

complete the request as quickly as possible.  Once the processor is

shipped, you will receive one more email that will provide you with the

FedEx tracking information. 

We hope these updates will save you the time and inconvenience of

calling or emailing a request for an update.  We appreciate your

business and wish you many hours of enjoyment and productivity with your

computer.

Now they're gonna send me a brand spankin new AMD 2100xp :D

to the best of my knowledge cyrix has yet to ship the socket 478 chips (or if they have I am yet to see one in public).

cyrix DOES have a market advantage that intel and amd lack. x86 cpu in something the size of a cellphone. risc is what intel / motorola use for small stuff. Cyrix can simply use a regular x86 chip with conventional software and cram it into tiny little things, with little heat, low voltage.

i'm too lazy to read all the posts here, but seeing as i haven't posted in this thread since probably the first couple of pages, i figured i would go ahead and voice my simple opinion:

AMD ALL THE WAY!

Well, I just read all 11 pages of this thread.

And I have to say that the main reason I got an AMD set up is, actually twofold, they are 50% cheaper, and they are great for oc'ing.

As for which is better,

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...34_3759,00.html

That MAY be a little biased, but if AMD could match intel speeds, then the only thing they would need to worry about would be HT, that said, Ithink they are done with the 32Bit cpus, and they seem to be pushing the 64Bit cpus pretty hard, and considering that you dont need a 64bit OS with the new AMD64, its my next choice,

I agree with cgrundy, I just continue using intel because I'm used to them and know all the compatability issues with building. I'm just stuck in a rut I guess. I've already ordered up my new parts, going 2.8c now that the prices have dropped and a sweet 9800pro B) .

I am having thoughts of building an AMD for my next comp, but I'm going to wait and see how prescott comes along over this year. I'm also gonna hold out for PCI express too before popping the cash for a new MB, which is the other part holding me back from going AMD. Wouldn't it be great of you could buy a MB that supported both?!?

wow alot of people here seem to really like AMD :D I also noticed you all keep saying that AMD is so much cheaper than Intel man I must be shoping at the wrong stores lol I'm right in the middle of building my first computer so I hope you don't mind if I ask you all a question or two? first I can get a INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.0C GHZ S478 512KB 800FSB for $344.99 or a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 400FSB for $334.99 as far as performance versus price what do do think is the better? also what mother board would you recommend for each chip ..txs inadvance