AMD vs. Intel

Minute Maid = Cheaper

Cheaper = Good for me :)

Minute Maid is more bang for the buck ;) .....(Sounds familiar?)

LOL! crap you ayokona. heh. the problem there is, even if you can get more minute maid than tropicana on the same budget, it still tastes like minute maid no matter how much you drink...it'll never equal the quality of tropicana. AMD, however, you can get the same speed processor as an intel for less money, that's the difference.

My mom knows that if she brings home anything other than Tropicana, my dad or myself will spill it down the sink, thus it's NOT cheaper for her to do so ;) It's our one and only grocery requirement :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malaysia.

I think there are differences between "Made in Malaysia" and "Assembled in Malaysia". Also, on every Intel processors I have seen here, there is a "Made in Malay", "ASSM IN MALAY" or "Malay", etc. mark on them... I don't know is this "Malay" stands for "Malaysia" or other country...

In order to comment on the topic fairly one must have owned both P4 and XP (recent product may be 12 months old) and separate cost versus performance versus maintenance versus reliability. If we can approach the topic with logic rather than feeling, it would be nice.

It will also help if one could identify or mention the intended purpose of the computer in use, i.e. office apps, video editing, heavy Auto Cad/3D, Internet, simply into games or in small business.

For playing games, I take AMD for its low pricing. But, it does not mean my system is any cheaper because I'd go for an expensive graphic card and a good heatsink. Don't forget a good heatsink would run you $50 or more landed.

For small business, video compression, Autocad and low noise, I'd go for Intel.

Hey, that's why I own both. Is my Z better than my Jeep, no.

One thing I hate most is to criticize something based on what other people said. Glad that you are alive today, go do something instead of following what others footstep. Life is to experience otherwise we all can sit down reading history books telling each other stories. Do it when you are 80 years old not now. :lol:

I SWORE to myself that I wouldn't post here.. I have not and will not read the thread, because there is NO ANSWER to the Intel v AMD question....

but..

I had an INTEL system a while ago and blew it up.. good overclocking learning experience.

I replaced it with AMD as an uneducated buyer strapped for cash..

Now I run a few systems all based on AMD.

Why?

Because I don't want to pay the premium price Intel is asking.

Now... I live in the Country and we try and live the frugal life (except with my computer)

we can our own vegees that we grow in our gardens..

we buy things in bulk to save a bit of money...

what does this all matter? We try to get the best for our family without paying to much.

Now, that being said...

Does Intel have certain advantages? Yes

Does AMD have certain advantages? Yes

Now one of my systems is based on an AMD 2400+ (hasn't run stock since it came in the mail :P )

it is theoretically the same power as an Intel 2.4 processor.

Will they ever match up exactly? Nope

Would the Intel pull slightly ahead in Benchmarks? Maybe...

is it worth spending an extra $85 for the Intel (based on Todays price at Newegg) FOR ME?? Not even remotely

is it worth it for you? Could be

Do I have less respect for Intel users? of course not.. Intel users have an excellent product that works VERY well

It is like the Ford vs. Chevy argument (I do live in Michigan, you know)

There is no winner... its just what you are most familiar with..

I guess I will end my rambling here...

Hmm...If i won the lotto which would I get? Good question.. but I would probably stick with AMD.... I can spend the extra money on booze ( I am WELL over 21 you know....)

and Thank you for your support

i think that the p4 is better just do the fact that they are already at a certain ghz like 2.8 instead of the amd 2800+ being at like 2.0 ghz and not having to overclock. AMD still has close to the same performance without the same amount of ghz. I would go with p4, but just think if AMD had a 3200+ chip witth 3.2 ghz, it would blow intel away.

I agree that the AMD vs Intel argument is like Ford vs Chevy. They both have advantages and disadvantages.

However, I don't think you can compare AMD's 32-bit platform to Intel's anymore. I sat here with two of the best processors (Barton 3000+ and P4 3.0c) and the P4 smoked it in every benchmark, every time.

I'm not saying there aren't some powerful Bartons out there, but that product didn't match up during my tests.

Would the Intel pull slightly ahead in Benchmarks? Maybe...

Next time you are considering whether AMD or Intel can score higher on benchmarks, try to get anywhere near this on a Barton processor... (This is a mild overclock, I can go higher on air). Maybe the Barton performs and I had mine misconfigured, but I tend to doubt it.

DATE: 2004-01-26 05:54:29

CPU: Pentium

crap...I came back and read more!!

Very good points in your post and the numbers don't lie... at that speed it seems Intel has the speed...

From what I have read (not my experience...just reading)

the 2800+ is the last AthlonXP to really have any cajones.... the 3000 and the 3200 didn't really seem to live up to their marketing name

I never realized XP Home edition disliked HT. Mind you I took it off my P4 1.6 pre-build :D Guess I'll have to invest in Pro...

I did not know that H.T. would not work with XP Home either, I built my old 3.2C with XP Home SP1 about 3 weeks ago or how ever long I have been folding and it has been running 2 versions of FAH with H.T. enabled one with the affinity set on cpu 0 for one version, and the other version is set on cpu 1. It has been folding non stop since I put it together 24/7, I did reboot it this morning I thought that it might need it after 3 weeks of steady folding, What is it that does not work with in XP Home? Because mine seems that it has been working fine. Also I read that Windows 2000 will work with H.T.? I am fixing to put together my 2.6C this evening I guess I should put Win 2000 Pro instead of XP Home?

I stand corrected on the HT part... kinda. XP home with SP1 added 2 major updates. first one was support for HT but NOT SMP, the second was support for 2gb of ram.

Ok what does SMP do? Should I use 2000 Pro or XP Home or Win 98 SE? I am fixing to install one or the other in a little while for folding with the 2.6C?