Another one bites the dust..

Hyper

Had one of my folding machines shut down a couple days ago and just got a chance to trouble shoot it... the GTX580 just bit the dust :(, so I put a spare gt7300 I had setting around to get the system up and running (CPU only of course). When I get back from my trip I'll have to re-overclock it (i7-2600k) again as it's running at defaults at the moment..

I'll have to see if when I got that GTX580 to see if it's still under warranty... I kind of doubt it though.

which brand/model was it. I'm always curious since new GPU come out ever 6-8months no one keeps the old cards long enough to see the end of its life. I asked my IT friend and he said CPU going 24/7 are good for about 5 years on load years give or take if the motherboard doesn't die frist.

I still have a working AMD XP 2000+ and a Geforce 2 but it was never running 24/7.

The room that computer sets in is generally pretty warm so the card was running around 90c'ish most of the time (24/7). So I was kind of rough on it :).

It is a factory oc'ed EVGA GTX 580SSC.. In a micro ATX case so airflow wasn't the best for running it that hard.

Sucks to hear that...aren't 480s better for folding or was it the 500 series that was the last of the super computing capabilities?

It's the 500 series that has the best super computing capabilities.

• 3 weeks later...