Borderlands 2 coming September 18!

DanTheGamer11

So, I posted about the horrible PC menus on gearbox...figured I'd share it here:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=149250

A lot of people agree...and then of course some console guys come in and are like, "huh, I don't get it" :doh:

The menu system in BL2 is top notch and on par with Halo:Reach system. I don't know how the PC handles it since you guys doesn't have a friend system (or do steam handle that for you?)

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The menu system in BL2 is top notch and on par with Halo:Reach system. I don't know how the PC handles it since you guys doesn't have a friend system (or do steam handle that for you?)

The problem lies with the inventory and skill system mostly. It isn't as user-friendly as it should be.

Friends are handled via Steam and that is incredibly easy, since you can see all the online ones at the main menu and join or invite them.

Possibly, but even then, there is a lot of wasted space. Sure, it's neat being able to drag it around and get a 360° view of your character, but there is so much real estate not being utilized.

Waco what FOV are you using in eyefinity? I think I jacked it way up but everything still has that fisheye effect which sucks. Menu's are terrible IMHO as well, wasted a few points because I didn't realize there was another screen you had to tab too haha

Waco what FOV are you using in eyefinity? I think I jacked it way up but everything still has that fisheye effect which sucks. Menu's are terrible IMHO as well, wasted a few points because I didn't realize there was another screen you had to tab too haha

Waco doesn't even have eyefinity -- I do. He just likes to bitch on my behalf...lol

I tried it with the FOV all the way up at 110 -- as that was what I have set for 1080p, but didn't care for it much. The menus didn't work properly either (it was like BL1 where it just wasn't supported).

It just sucks :P

Waco what FOV are you using in eyefinity? I think I jacked it way up but everything still has that fisheye effect which sucks.

Had it on 110 on BP's rig...and it was very fisheyed. 90 looks a lot better to my eyes but it gives BP motion sickness (and me too a little). :lol:

I play with 110 on my rig on a single 1080p screen.

Yeah, it's a shame game companies don't develop for eyefinity or surround too much. They say it'll support eyefinity or surround, but gives no real benefit, and most of the time, just takes up needless space.

Here's what I'd like to see... if you're not going to adjust the FOV correctly, at least allow expanded screens so you can keep your map on one screen and your missions, backpack items, and skill tree open on the other screen. When you want your mouse to have access to those screens, you press the hotkey. Simple development, even a caveman could do it.

Ugh. The menus really bother me the more I use them. Even in a little bit of playing, and not many item pickups, it's super frustrating. I click on a shield...wait, I have to SELECT THE SLOT FOR IT? It only goes in one place. Why the hell do I have to click again? The tabbing back and forth and the huge text is annoying as hell. :lol:

It's a good thing the rest of the game is awesome so far. :teehee:

Top notch for a console game, sure, but not a PC game. The in-game menus were clearly made for use with a gamepad, instead of being designed for keyboard/mouse use. In a game like BL2 where inventory management is essential, it makes for a very frustrating experience. When every action-RPG ever made can handle inventory elegantly on the PC, that just shows to me that Gearbox didn't make the effort.

Like waco said, the rest of the game is awesome so far and the horrid, frustrating menus aren't going to stop me from playing it, but it really should have never been like this...not when that was one of the major complaints of the first game.

Like waco said, the rest of the game is awesome so far and the horrid, frustrating menus aren't going to stop me from playing it, but it really should have never been like this...not when that was one of the major complaints of the first game.

This.

I'm not sure how they took the menus from the first game and actually made them worse.

I think the biggest problem is that every single developer I've seen demoing the game or working on it in the offices...was using a freakin' game pad. :mad: I'm already to the point of barely glancing over items before selling them because it's just a pain in the ass to compare guns (since you can only compare to the currently equipped weapon OR the one you clicked on to swap out).