time for new tech

jdm_freek

pfffttttttttttttttttttt I would take 570's or 580's over 6970's any day of the week but thats just me :biggrin:

6990>590

6970s>580s when talking very high resolutions due to memory insufficiency (not referring to the 3GB 580 versions of course, and the 570s lose it here)

and if you're in a single monitor situation, then all mentioned at overqualified with console ports running a muck anyway

My sentiment echoes the others here, I'd wait and see what AMD has to offer with the 7000 series, and then perhaps even see what nVidia has in the works to counter. Something tells me you're not necessarily lacking in performance, so no sense in buying into a GPU so close to the launch of the next-gen.

Well, for dual GPU cards, AMD wins... and the 7xxx cards are coming out soon. That would be my choice if I wanted to stay at the top, even though I don't like dual GPU cards and AMD as of late.<br>

El I have to disagree, nVidia has much better dual card support than AMD. However I do agree that I do not like dual cards.

Edited by ComputerEd

El I have to disagree, nVidia has much better dual card support than AMD.

I have to disagree with you. When I had my 580's I had to wait and wait and wait until drivers came out for SLI for the latest games and most of the time, it took forever for Nvidia to certify WHQL drivers.

I love AMD's new driver strategy - Each month a new certified driver and theres always many beta drivers released on the day a new game is released

I might also add that the performance drop from my dual 580's to 6970's was hardly noticable in gaming.

I'd definately wait for the 7 series. I heard they were going to be reveiled on 7 Jan or something for the 7950/70.

But I'm holding out for the HD7990 in March :evilgrin:

PS : Nvidia is always late to the party so dont bother waiting for them since the 8 series will be out by the time they finally finish Kepler and then Kepler will be overpriced.

6990>590

6970s>580s when talking very high resolutions due to memory insufficiency (not referring to the 3GB 580 versions of course, and the 570s lose it here)

and if you're in a single monitor situation, then all mentioned at overqualified with console ports running a muck anyway

I'd gladly trade my 6970s for 580s with less memory.

I have to disagree with you. When I had my 580's I had to wait and wait and wait until drivers came out for SLI for the latest games and most of the time, it took forever for Nvidia to certify WHQL drivers.

I love AMD's new driver strategy - Each month a new certified driver and theres always many beta drivers released on the day a new game is released

I might also add that the performance drop from my dual 580's to 6970's was hardly noticable in gaming.

I guess in the end we are both right and it is a wash becuase of late nVidia has had decent SLI support on a number of games out of the box while AMD has had to wait for an update. I do however agree about the performance difference in gaming being none existent without benchmarks. The gaming experience for both is about the same.

I guess in the end we are both right and it is a wash becuase of late nVidia has had decent SLI support on a number of games out of the box while AMD has had to wait for an update. I do however agree about the performance difference in gaming being none existent without benchmarks. The gaming experience for both is about the same.

Nvidia in theory is still better. If you look at what the 590 was, it was two 580 GPUs on the same card but they were under clocked for heat issues. The 6990 was not under clocked, but used the longer card design to handle some of those heat dissipation issues. So in one instance you get a better form factor with a lower performing card and the other is a worse for factor with a higher performing car.

The Asus Mars II was what the GTX 590 should have been all along. It was a MASSIVE card, but it was the performance that we should have seen out of the 590.

Basically I would say that Nvidia has better "potential" for dual cards, but they are a little bit of a flop as compared to what we were promised, and the ATI dual card is better if you want a card right this instant.

Even still, the point remains. Wait for the 7000 series cards. I have heard from questionable sources that the 7950 is supposed to out perform the 6990 by like 1/8 of a frame ps.

Now I seriously doubt that. So can anyone confirm or deny that claim for me and the OP?

Now I seriously doubt that. So can anyone confirm or deny that claim for me and the OP?

Assuming anyone actually did know, they would be obligated by NDA not to disclose any information. The best you're gonna get is people who read articles and think they know. Until the cards are released none of us will really know.

Glad to see the OP is waiting though.

7950/70 2gb crossfire ftw

Price maybe just above the budget but Christmas is coming and with it giftcards and money.

$475 a pop is pretty expensive. $975 for 2.

Edited by Drdeath