Amd PII 965 @ 4.0 A bottleneck for 3x 6950s ?

So ... I had planed on getting Another 69XX too Crossfire with my MSI T/F3 6950. And in A few months once benches are out on bulldozer .. build A new system (whats ever better based off the dozer benches). The new system would have 3x 6970s and leave the 6950 in this one and turn it into A HTPC. Anyhow... now I thinking I just want too get 2x more 6950s for this comp .. and set it up with 3x LCDs.

Comp stats are.

ASUS M3a79t-Deluxe

AMD PII 965 @ 4.0-ish

8Gb DDR 2 @ 1033 ( yes DDR 2 old school)

Vista 64

Ultra 1000W ( had 3/4 4850s at one point)

Ect.

How much would this Ram / CPU bottleneck A 3rd 6950?

Do you really have a need for three 6950s? I mean, sure, scaling for TriFire is pretty good, but do you really need that much power for three displays? Are your monitors going to be all 1920x1080 or 1680x1050? Lower?

As for bottlenecking - you'll see a LOT higher performance from a Sandy Bridge based setup versus anything AMD at this point (though I'm not sure there are any 1155 mobos with triple 16x slots running at 16x though).

Hell yes . I had 5870 trifire and it was severely bottlenecked with a 4.2GHz 1090t on only one screen with DDR3 2k mhz ram .

You would have way less performance on DDR2 ram and any AMD other than if Bulldozer rocks

Hell yes . I had 5870 trifire and it was severely bottlenecked with a 4.2GHz 1090t on only one screen with DDR3 2k mhz ram .

You would have way less performance on DDR2 ram and any AMD other than if Bulldozer rocks

No, your resolution bottlenecked you. There was no reason for all the cards to work hard on that small resolution.

Here you go, AMD cards are barely affected by higher CPU speeds

Nvidia cards are the ones who really need a faster CPU.

@OP, what resolution?

No, your resolution bottlenecked you. There was no reason for all the cards to work hard on that small resolution.

Here you go, AMD cards are barely affected by higher CPU speeds

Have you owned an AMD CPU with trifire ? I doubt it . It has less cache than even a i7 920 and loses horribly in gaming to even a stock i7

I have owned a 5970+5870 and my buddy still has his on a 5GHz 2600k . The performance from my 1090t at 4.2GHz to a 2600k at 5GHZ (even lower would be fine) is extreme

This guy owns DDR2 ram , this will really not help him gain max performance

Do not get trifire on AMD else you really will regret it since you will be running multi monitors and your CPU would have to feed even more data to the gpu's

Im not saying it wont work with trifire , it would work . But you performance would lose about 20% to 30%

I'd stay with two 6970's .

I guess no one has looked at the tests done on [H] about how well trifire performs especially when three monitors are involved. Now it's the other components you are also running is whats going to bottleneck those cards. Like someone already asked, what is your resolution? After bezel correction running around 6000x1200 resolution, there are only a few games I can't max with just two unlocked 6950's.

I will be runing at 5760 x 1200 ( 3x 1920x1200) 16:10

Right now I have 1x Samsung Syncmaster 245BW

I have just ordered my 2nd MSI T/F III 6950

If if the 965 wont bottle neck ... i will order another 6950 and 2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001371

And I do plan on building A new system once we see if the bulldozers are any good .. might use these Videocards might sell them at that time.

Just want too know it wil not bottleneck.

As far as the DDR 2 ... i really dont think its a issue .. I bench = or Higher VS other DDR3 motherboards that use same Video Card/ CPU setup in 3Dmark V / 11. I have used up too 4x (4850s) cardson this board however .. 3x seems too be the sweet spot.

Edited by neko77025