Amd PII 965 @ 4.0 A bottleneck for 3x 6950s ?

Test it out before you waste money on a CPU upgrade. If your cards are all being used 85%+ then you don't need a cpu upgrade. Now if they are like 80%,70%,30% then yeah your being bottlenecked. Test it out before is always better :).

Also, Nyt, at your resolution not all your cards had to be fully utilized, did you maybe have a small bottleneck with the AMD, sure, but its not as massive as you would think. And HD 5xxx crossfire was garbage compared to the HD 6xxx series.

That said, if he was building a completely new PC and wanted to go with trifire/trisli I would only recommend sandybridge or 1366 if he could get a good deal(like I did, $360 compared to over $650). But in his situation it makes more sense to first test it and see if he is getting bottle necked.

Edited by Krieg1337

Test it out before you waste money on a CPU upgrade. If your cards are all being used 85%+ then you don't need a cpu upgrade. Now if they are like 80%,70%,30% then yeah your being bottlenecked. Test it out before is always better :).

Also, Nyt, at your resolution not all your cards had to be fully utilized, did you maybe have a small bottleneck with the AMD, sure, but its not as massive as you would think. And HD 5xxx crossfire was garbage compared to the HD 6xxx series.

That said, if he was building a completely new PC and wanted to go with trifire/trisli I would only recommend sandybridge or 1366 if he could get a good deal(like I did, $360 compared to over $650). But in his situation it makes more sense to first test it and see if he is getting bottle necked.

As Krieg stated, the 6000 series were designed for better crossfire/trifire results over the 5000s. That is their strength and they're cheaper to boot.

Do not get trifire on AMD else you really will regret it since you will be running multi monitors and your CPU would have to feed even more data to the gpu's

I'm not quite sure the CPU would have to feed even more data. What you are saying here is that when we increase the resolution, the CPU workload increases.

What I observe in testing, when the CPU is the bottleneck, there is absolutely no difference in performance going from one resolution to another:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/amd_a8-3850_ga_a75m-ud2h/13.html (See Far Cry 2 graph)

Hence why I highly doubt about your "data feeding" theory.

What Krieg is trying to say here is that if YOU had a much larger resolution, your HD5870 tri-fire would have had a bigger workload, and then probably that their FPS would be brought down below your CPU bottleneck. Therefore, it would not be a bottleneck anymore.

Say your HD5870 tri-fore outputs 200 FPS on that single monitor. Your CPU bottlenecks at 150 FPS. If by adding two extra monitors, the tri-fire is brought down to 100 FPS, and voilà, the CPU bottleneck is no more.

All in all, with such a setup, you pretty much deliberately created that CPU bottleneck you're talking of.