How much RAM do you really need?

RAM Usage  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM do you use in your main rig?

the from 4gb to 8gb is noticeable in most programs and startup. 8gb to 12 only if you have some app that taps out most of 8gb normally. which is alot of modern games on max settings. 12gb to 24gb you will not see any difference unless you are doing some sort of editing.

i will say at 24gb of ram when i transfer things it fills the ram before transfer which can make burst rates insanely fast. i don't even see anything under 4gb transferring. it's done as soon as it starts. of course in the background it's slowly writing the files at 60mb/s max which could take a few minutes but i can load other apps on another drive without running into stacking issues.

Edited by hornybluecow

Like others have said, the main thing they forgot was what the primary function of RAM is - run programs. Unless I am below the amount of RAM I need, I don't see RAM as a huge performance boost. What I do see it is a way of letting you do more. On gaming computers especially, you will want to run extra programs in the background to monitor temps and voltages, calibrate your internet connection, macro managers, etc. All stuff that can be CRUCIAL in a high-stakes game.

Plus, more RAM means you can have a game up on one screen and have your regular desktop on another screen. So you can play a game, and when you die and wait for respawn, can check FB, look at photos, whatever.

First guys Crysis is not the be all, end all of gaming. In fact MMOs are more relevant in the overall scheme of the gaming community. With that in mind 2 Gig is enough to game on for MMOing, RPG play and even Civ V. I setup a basic system for my daughter as I mentioned in my blog and only had 2 Gig on hand. The system is running Windows 7 32 bit and we have run the following games on it with no issues:

Star Trek Online

Champions Online

Wizards 101

Civilization V

Demigod (blast when played over the lan with 4 of us)

Supreme Commander II

Dragon Age

Spore

ALL of these games have run perfect at max detail using 1440x900 resolution.

Now that being said I personally think with RAM prices as they are if you are buiilding there is no reason to not get at least 4 gig in a system today. I personally run 8 gig on my mian system and 4 on all others with the one excpetion. However 2 Gig is still a viable amount of RAM for a dirt cheap build.

256MB memory is all I need, and I can play Crysis at max settings.

Time for a story. I have a business friend, accountant (Dave), who has several clients that he visits onsite. One of them had a computer with 256kb memory. There was a Excel spread sheet with a lot of macros and when new entries were added and the recalc started, Dave could go get a cup of coffee, maybe take a bathroom break and when he came back the recalc might or might be done. We snuck in one weekend and I added another 256kb. Now the recalc takes about 3 seconds. Why the 256kb in the first place? The company's IT guy firmly believed that no computer ever needed more than 256kb. So,, the moral of the story is that sometimes more is better.

With RAM being so cheap (anyone remember the days of $200 for 2Gb of DDR2 ram?), why skimp? I bought 8Gb for my current rig which I put together last Thanksgiving - only to see the same ram drop in price by $40 a few weeks later. I figured why not load up and not have to worry about RAM anymore?

12gb in my day to day rig

4 to 6 in my test rigs

12gb in my main laptop. (main rig)

4gb in all other laptops/pc's.

As or 2-3gb, thats a load of *insert expletives here*. I bought my sister a Toshiba laptop for her birthday. Nothing special. p6100 pentium cpu, 320gb hdd, 3gb ram. I upgraded to 6gb of ram before I sent it to her, and it made a very noticeable difference. Even in simple stuff like playing music, and opening web pages. The biggest difference I seen was boot up time.