How much RAM do you really need?

RAM Usage  

76 members have voted

1. 1. How much RAM do you use in your main rig?

Time for a story. I have a business friend, accountant (Dave), who has several clients that he visits onsite. One of them had a computer with 256kb memory. There was a Excel spread sheet with a lot of macros and when new entries were added and the recalc started, Dave could go get a cup of coffee, maybe take a bathroom break and when he came back the recalc might or might be done. We snuck in one weekend and I added another 256kb. Now the recalc takes about 3 seconds. Why the 256kb in the first place? The company's IT guy firmly believed that no computer ever needed more than 256kb. So,, the moral of the story is that sometimes more is better.

you mean 265mb not kb right? anyways this reminds me of my dad, he did programing during the 80s and still to this day thinks 100mb hard drive is enough for anything. still goes on rants on 128mb of ram is insane and never will be filled. since than hes a mac user and doesn't care whats in it as long as he can program in unix (which is the backbone of Mac Os).

Edited by hornybluecow

you mean 265mb not kb right? anyways this reminds me of my dad, he did programing during the 80s and still to this day thinks 100mb hard drive is enough for anything. still goes on rants on 128mb of ram is insane and never will be filled. since than hes a mac user and doesn't care whats in it as long as he can program in unix (which is the backbone of Mac Os).

lol. He is stuck in 1990.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

the more the better. i rather take quantity over speed. which is why i run 24gb of 1333 over 4gb of 2400. i don't think you can run anything on 4gb anymore. It's also cheaper to buy more most the time than waste money on 2fps what will be outperformed in 6 months by a new card.

I feel the same, but i don't have the money. multitasking easily fills my ram!

Edited by medbor