Portal 2 to be released EARLY!!!

Waco

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what the bars going across mean?

I'm really tempted to purchase the potato sack now.

I think it must be total user playtime in hours or something similar. "The Wonderful End of The world" has been filled now so it knocked an hour off the projected "boot time" (time until portal 2 launch).

i think the way it works is that for every one user who plays xmins (i think its an hour) it adds 1 CPU to that game's total i.e. so if 100 people play one hour of killing floor, it will add 100CPUs to the killing floor total. and i think that for every game that the bar becomes full it knocks off a certain number of hours off the portal 2 launch time.

Valve are clever bastards. "You want to play our latest game? Sure buy these 13 other games first. and then play them. and by play them we mean not 5mins put a lot of hours into them. Then we'll let you play our latest game a few hours early"

The scary thing is that it is working. I just hope that no other major gaming company tries something like this in the future. Purely and simply because while valve does it to support the independent developers and does it in an ARG style that is potentially fun for the user, i can see other companies using it like "you want to play our latest COD / Battlefield / whatever? Buy all our older titles first" Or even something as blunt as "give us $10 and we'll let you play it 3 days early with "2 bonus" guns" :doh:

I think it must be total user playtime in hours or something similar. "The Wonderful End of The world" has been filled now so it knocked an hour off the projected "boot time" (time until portal 2 launch).

i think the way it works is that for every one user who plays xmins (i think its an hour) it adds 1 CPU to that game's total i.e. so if 100 people play one hour of killing floor, it will add 100CPUs to the killing floor total. and i think that for every game that the bar becomes full it knocks off a certain number of hours off the portal 2 launch time.

Valve are clever bastards. "You want to play our latest game? Sure buy these 13 other games first. and then play them. and by play them we mean not 5mins put a lot of hours into them. Then we'll let you play our latest game a few hours early"

The scary thing is that it is working. I just hope that no other major gaming company tries something like this in the future. Purely and simply because while valve does it to support the independent developers and does it in an ARG style that is potentially fun for the user, i can see other companies using it like "you want to play our latest COD / Battlefield / whatever? Buy all our older titles first" Or even something as blunt as "give us $10 and we'll let you play it 3 days early with "2 bonus" guns" :doh:

I don't think that's quite how the bars work. Right now Killing Floor shows about 4500 CPUs while Toki Tori shows 600, but Toki Tori shows more progress on the bar.

Aactually the "wonderful end of the world" game is the main attraction of the potato sack for me, and it's because the bar filled up so fast on that game that makes me think it really is even better than I estimated, so this is certainly a big encouragement to me to get the potato sack, I'm also tempted to get portal 2 with it now even.

I don't think that's quite how the bars work. Right now Killing Floor shows about 4500 CPUs while Toki Tori shows 600, but Toki Tori shows more progress on the bar.

Aactually the "wonderful end of the world" game is the main attraction of the potato sack for me, and it's because the bar filled up so fast on that game that makes me think it really is even better than I estimated, so this is certainly a big encouragement to me to get the potato sack, I'm also tempted to get portal 2 with it now even.

im pretty sure that each game has a different number of target / total CPUs. killing floor is a highly popular game in terms of ownership and play time compared to other games like rush or cogs so it makes sense for each game to have differnt targets accordingly. so the popular games like killing floor, audiosurf and defence grid with require more hours than the less popular ones. last i saw "wonderful end of the world" was around the 2500 mark before becoming complete.

like i said im not sure if its 1 CPU =1 total hour. but you have to remember how many people are potentially own these games, and also factor in that a minimum of 1.7m users are on steam at any given time. they wouldn't want to make it too easy to atain. if anything it could be like 1 CPU = 10 hrs game play

i dont know, im just speculating but thats how it seems to me.

EDIT: scrap that theory. i now think CPUs is number of current players. because some of them have fewer cpus than the last time i posted. however i still think progress is somehow related to game time

Edited by bilcliff