2011 Firearms Discussion

SpeedCrazy

Good for you, i cant remember, are there any concealed carry programs in the UK?

As someone pointed out, I'm in Canada. :P Never the less, there are no concealed carry programs in Canada; no real need in my opinion. (I'm purchasing the gun for recreational purposes, the whole home and personal defense with a firearm seems a bit ridiculous to me :huh: )

A quick rundown on on Canada's gun laws

Prohibited firearms, devices, and weapons are:

-full-automatic firearms

-sawed-off rifles or shotguns with barrel length less than 457mm (18 inches); this does not apply to firearms manufactured with short barrels

-sawed-off rifles or shotguns with overall length less than 660mm (26 inches); this does not apply to firearms manufactured with short stocks or short barrels

-handguns with a barrel less than 105mm (4.14 inches), except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted

-handguns in caliber .25 or .32, except certain specifically listed competition handguns which are restricted

-silencers

-large capacity magazines for a semi-automatic center-fire firearm. What constitutes "large capacity" varies; as a general rule, the maximum capacity is 5 rounds for long guns, 10 rounds for handguns "commonly found in Canada", and 5 rounds for handguns "not commonly found in Canada." Magazines for rimfire cartridges, the 8-round clips used in the M1 Garand, and 10 round Lee Enfield rifle magazines are exempted by name from this prohibition.

-any of a long list of firearms specifically listed as prohibited. With few exceptions, if it has a remotely military appearance, it is prohibited.

-replicas of firearms

-any type of Taser or other firearm that discharges a dart or other object carrying an electrical current.

-tear gas, Mace or other gas, or any liquid spray, power or other substance that is capable of injuring, immobilizing or otherwise incapacitating any person

-any type of stun gun or other electrical charge device of length less than 480mm

-a large additional class of prohibited weapons, such as nunchakus, switchblades, brass knuckles, etc.

Restricted firearms are:

-handguns which are not prohibited, including competition handguns

-semi-automatic centerfire firearms with a barrel length less than 470mm (18.5 inches) which are not prohibited

-firearms, which can be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660mm (26 inches) by folding/telescoping/etc., which are not prohibited

-any of a list of firearms specifically listed as restricted. The most notable entries are the AR-15 and variants, which stand out as being military-appearance firearms which are not prohibited, and a list of competition handguns which are exempted from being prohibited in spite of their characteristics.

Non-restricted firearms are:

-shotguns and rifles which are not restricted or prohibited

-the M1 Garand and Lee Enfield rifles, which otherwise would be prohibited due to their large capacity clip or magazine

-some military-appearance firearms (including some similar to the AR-15)

Note that there is no such thing as a "non-restricted handgun." ALL handguns are either restricted or prohibited.

Antique firearms are:

any firearm other than a handgun manufactured before 1898 that was not designed to discharge rim-fire or center-fire ammunition and that has not been redesigned to discharge such ammunition, or any firearm that is prescribed to be an antique firearm. Antique firearms are exempt from the provisions of the Firearms Act and some parts of the Criminal Code. However, antique firearms may also be restricted or prohibited, and that means something different with respect to an antique than it does for non-antique firearms.

TL;DR version

There are two types of firearms allowed in Canada (Civillians), Un-Restricted and Restricted (with respective required licenses for both). Un-Restricted classifies rifles and shotguns. While handguns fall under the category of Restricted.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has there ever been a case where an attacker or gun man was going to harm another and was only stopped by someone else with a gun? Take the Arizona Shooting, another person had a gun on them, but when he took out his gun OTHER people thought HE was the shooter. Which brings up the next, how do I know the people handling the concealed weapons are TRAINED to handle those weapons? It's pretty damn easy to pull a trigger and hit something or someone, but will they hit the right person?

Your last point there, most places will require you to take a class and train/qualify with your concealed weapon. Also, most people I know that bother to get a concealed carry permit are avid shooters. Are guns a cure-all? Hell no. My Tang Soo Do instructor was a bodyguard for around 20 years, he carried a .357 magnum all of those years. He said that he's only used it three times in his life, as there were often other ways to diffuse a threat. In my opinion, when people are properly trained, guns are an excellent self and home defense tool in certain situations. http://gunfacts.info/ There's a rather lengthy list of information there, I'd encourage giving it a read through. At the end of the day, I believe that responsible ownership and usage of firearms is one of the strongest supports we have for the 2nd Amendment, which I believe is a core part of American society.

The issue is on my Model 190. Regular Remington and Federal ammunition from the 500 round boxes is fine, but CCIs for some reason are always going down and to the left. I don't have any issue using the iron sights though. There's no issues with the barrel at all. Maybe the $60 wal-mart scope wasn't a great idea.

Yikes... Glad i dont live in Canada.

In response to above. The gun should always be the last option,

Options:(in order)

1) Run away. (not always possible especially if defending family or friends)

2) Talk, some criminals are mental cases and are more scared of hurting you than you are of them hurting you. (IDK, read that in a CCW handbook)

3) Non-lethal force, martial arts, baton, taser.

4) Threat of lethal force. (visible or verbal)

5) Lethal force.

Lol, at your walmart scope KB mine does exactly the same thing, low and right. Straight shooting over iron but low right with the scope.

IMO the public is to ignorant to carry a firearm

guns have a singular purpose and that is to kill

if you want a gun or to be a killer join the service

A lot of people hunt for food. Why shouldn't they be allowed to kill a deer or rabbit. I grew up near hickville where everyone had guns and when hunting.

A lot of people hunt for food. Why shouldn't they be allowed to kill a deer or rabbit. I grew up near hickville where everyone had guns and when hunting.

+1

I'm in the same boat here. Guns have always been considered a tool when I was growing up. To me, this means it is no different than a knife, shovel, etc. It isn't the item itself that kills people, but the user of that tool that determines what the tool does.

Asked on the gun section of reddit and found out what it is.

LINK

It is actually a single-shot bolt action 9mm shotgun.

Sweet. Guess I'm the new proud owner of a SHOTGUN! :biggrin:

kansas has no registration laws, only when selling a new fire arm does it have to be registerd, and you can modify your weapon in almost anyway other than barrel shortening and full auto, and you cant have a full auto weapon with a special license, and you need a permit only to conceal a hand gun, other than that nothing is prohibited or restricted, not even by age, a 5 year old can have a loaded .44 mag in a holster and play on the jungle gym, just not the school jungle jym, lol