SpeedCrazy

2011 Firearms Discussion

I don't think I'd ever keep a loaded gun in my home. Store guns and ammo separately. Might I get robbed? Sure, but most likely they'll do so in broad daylight while I'm at work.

As for a weapon on my person, I see no real point; I don't think a felon would give me the time to draw a firearm. I'd think a martial art (Krav Maga?) would be much more effective in these types of situations.

But the felon might not be directly attacking you, your wife/girlfriend or kids, your elderly parents/grandparents your friends in any of those circumstances you would have ample time to draw a weapon, or maybe you end up being in the middle of one of these horrible mass shootings, a slow draw if very much preferable to no draw at all.

I think what a lot of people misunderstand is that the person doing the attacking doesn't want to be shot either, not every 'bad guy' is an unstoppable meth-head freight train.

Most of the time merely implying that you have a firearm will deter an attacker (even if they themselves have a weapon), if not then show them you know how to use it and be confident about it and they'll definitely think twice about moving another inch.

You never need a weapon until you are a victim of a crime. At the U of Colorado a few days ago a female and male student were robbed just off campus on a busy street. The assailant tried to shot the female student but the male stepped into the line of fire and was killed. He was not a student at U of Colorado but was visiting family. I carry not only for self protection but to protect others too. I do not think someone that is against the 2nd amendment would rather be killed by some lunatic than live, but who am I to deign someone the right to make there point.

"against the 2nd amendment" to me means that, general population does not have access to weapons that shoot projectiles, they only have knives, axes, rocks, stones, clubs and boards with nails in them for protection of there property. Of course these means that you actually can own personal property which is against the law in some countries.

You never need a weapon until you are a victim of a crime. At the U of Colorado a few days ago a female and male student were robbed just off campus on a busy street. The assailant tried to shot the female student but the male stepped into the line of fire and was killed. He was not a student at U of Colorado but was visiting family. I carry not only for self protection but to protect others too. I do not think someone that is against the 2nd amendment would rather be killed by some lunatic than live, but who am I to deign someone the right to make there point.

Could you clarify what you are trying to say please.

I think that the people who are against the second amendment think that abolishing it or whatever will stop the raving lunatics from getting guns, but that is their false premise for gun control. If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns. And totally independent of the gun issue i can think of 1 or 2 people for whom i would step in front of a bullet.

For every story like that there are probably 1000 untold ones where a crime is deterred by simply making a would be attacker aware that he's going up against a gun...

If anyone wants to see some of these you can look here to check out some of the archives of "armed citizen", which are stories about citizens who stopped crime because they had a firearm. Some of them may be a little pumped up since it IS the NRA after all, but overall interesting stories on how a gun can change the outcome of certain situations! :)

Custom build with mostly spare parts I had laying around. I bought 3 lowers last year and while waiting for my NFA stamp to come back...I put that little guy together. I swapped the stock and rail covers out last week, but that's par for the course with this hobby.

Thanks

No one mess with Nuclear :P . Looks really nice BTW :thumbsup: maybe someday ill have the a comparable selection of spare parts!

Edited by Shadow_Foxx

I would just add that a perception that private citizens with guns are a bunch of mall ninjas and wannabe law enforcement is false. Since I have recently started to indulge my lifelong interest in guns I've talked with a lot of people who carry and have spent a lot of time on gun forums. Simply put, there is an impressive culture of responsiblity and competence among those who legally carry handguns. They feel the full weight of responsibility that comes with carrying a gun. They are mentally prepared to act and know that a gun is only a tool of very last resort. If the question is do you want these people taking action if there is a threat to themselves, their families or even the general public, the answer is, you sure do.

Disabling someone holding a firearm with a karate chop only works in the movies :) :)

Ya but it never works in games, there is always a struggle between good and evil over the gun, they both fall on the ground, one of them gets shot, drama builds, then you see the one on top plop over and somebody yells "nnnnoooooo!!!" and everything ends in tears. :cry:

Edited by Deathmineral

I would just add that a perception that private citizens with guns are a bunch of mall ninjas and wannabe law enforcement is false. Since I have recently started to indulge my lifelong interest in guns I've talked with a lot of people who carry and have spent a lot of time on gun forums. Simply put, there is an impressive culture of responsiblity and competence among those who legally carry handguns. They feel the full weight of responsibility that comes with carrying a gun. They are mentally prepared to act and know that a gun is only a tool of very last resort. If the question is do you want these people taking action if there is a threat to themselves, their families or even the general public, the answer is, you sure do.

Very well-stated, Phil. Most people who take the responsibility of carrying a deadly weapon on their person with the intent to use it in a justified manner if the need ever arises are generally intelligent, thoughtful, and committed to carrying out that responsibility to the best of their ability and in complete consideration of all legal ramifications. Does that mean that there aren't any "mall ninjas" or people who merely choose to carry because it makes them feel "cool" or for any other equally ill-advised reason? Of course not. This fact is not limited to firearms, though. Many people who get a driver's license and hop in a car everyday are horribly irresponsible and endanger themselves and other drivers due to their lack of attention and commitment to operating their vehicle in a safe fashion. Some might argue that I'm talking apples and oranges here but I'd remind them that statistically speaking, driving your vehicle on a daily basis is by far the most dangerous thing you'll do that day. That may not be true if you work daily as a Special Forces operator in Afghanistan or in some other similarly dangerous vocation, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Does this fact mean we should outlaw cars? Of course not.

As an example of the thought that most logical, intelligent people put into the decision to carry a firearm I will reference a discussion I had with my father-in-law a couple of months ago. When he asked me why I chose to carry a gun everywhere I am legally allowed to I told him (not in these exact words, but exactly the same idea) that I did so with the intention to defend my family, myself, and if the situation demanded any other people who found themselves facing a situation that they could not extract themselves from and presented with a clear threat of harm. The discussion continued and he asked me if I would pull my weapon if presented with, for instance, a drunk person itching for a fight knowing that I would likely receive a bit of an butt-whooping but not any real threat of serious harm or death and I answered, no, I would not, if it was only me, but the situation might be different if my wife or any other family members were facing the same threat. He nodded slowly, considering this, and then said, "Yeah, see, that's why I decided I couldn't carry, because I would probably pull out my weapon and shoot the guy, even if he was just going to hit me in the face." While I made the decision to carry after much consideration and debate he made the decision not to carry after just as much consideration and debate. Overwhelmingly, this is the kind of thought most firearm owners put into deciding on something as serious as carrying a deadly weapon on their person. Does everyone? No. Do most? Yep.

Trust me, in the unlikely event you find yourself in the midst of some public attack, such as the recent Arizona shooting or any other of the numerous incidents where one person decided to take his angst out on everyone he can in a public forum, you will want as many of these armed, responsible, and generally well-trained (even if not formally so) citizens in the immediate proximity as you can get. I know I would. Consider this: many police departments only require a bi-annual or semi-annual firearms qualification for their officers, and there are many officers out there who only really ever train in the use of their firearms these two or four times a year. In contrast, many armed citizens who exercise their right to own and carry a firearm train themselves dozens of times a year in the use of their weapon. Many are highly proficient with their weapons, as they should be if they are going to carry it. I'm not trying to say that armed citizens are better trained to defend themselves and others than our police officers, I am just making an observation that many of them are just as proficient, if not more so, than some of the police officers we entrust our safety to. An interesting thought, to be sure. I'll take as many of them around when I go out into the public realm as I can get, thank you very much.

Edited by Bizzlenitch

The thing that is most needed with gun issues is simply knowledge. The average person will feel unsafe around someone with a gun, just a knee jerk reaction. If they "got it", they would feel more safe, not less.

But the felon might not be directly attacking you, your wife/girlfriend or kids, your elderly parents/grandparents your friends in any of those circumstances you would have ample time to draw a weapon, or maybe you end up being in the middle of one of these horrible mass shootings, a slow draw if very much preferable to no draw at all.

I don't think it is a good idea to stear this discussion towards hypothetical situations they tend to be illogical because they usually concentrate on worse case scenarios with best case results and because everyone has a different view or opinion about the situation they just end up meaningless arguments.

Edited by fire_storm

I don't think it is a good idea to stear this discussion towards hypothetical situations they tend to be illogical because they usually concentrate on worse case scenarios with best case results and because everyone has a different view or opinion about the situation they just end up meaningless arguments.

Okay, that makes sense though all ccw discussions will have to touch on hypothetical situations to get anywhere. (at least we hope they are going to be just hypothetical) I dont think its possible to discus ccw with conjecturing as to situations in which you might want/regret having/not having a gun.

Okay, that makes sense though all ccw discussions will have to touch on hypothetical situations to get anywhere. (at least we hope they are going to be just hypothetical) I dont think its possible to discus ccw with conjecturing as to situations in which you might want/regret having/not having a gun.

It just seems like these situations could go any number of ways and like I said before usually in gun discussions the pro side usually give the best case scenario best results which can give some people the wrong idea about the usage of guns.

For example the person being mugged example the best case which usually given is you point a gun at him and he either runs away or you keep him there until the police arrive but there is also the point that a gun can make things worse like if the muggers friend happened to see you pull a gun on his friend or while your holding him there until the police arrive he might shoot you right there and if you had just given the mugger what he wanted you could have both been on your own way.

Edited by fire_storm