SpeedCrazy

2011 Firearms Discussion

I really like them too, sure they don't have much stopping power (I'm doubtful that you'd get much more than bruise if you were shot in the chest with one @ 100 yards) but they're a blast to plink with.

I wouldn't bet my life on it. With the right ammo, a bullet from a .22 pistol will still be traveling at over 1000 fps at 100 yards. I've dropped 2000 lb. bulls like a sack of potatoes with one shot from a .22 with standard velocity ammo. Statistically, outside of war, more people have been killed with .22's than any other caliber.

I wouldn't bet my life on it. With the right ammo, a bullet from a .22 pistol will still be traveling at over 1000 fps at 100 yards. I've dropped 2000 lb. bulls like a sack of potatoes with one shot from a .22 with standard velocity ammo. Statistically, outside of war, more people have been killed with .22's than any other caliber.

Eh good point, 100 yards is actually pretty close. I can't say I'd want to be shot with anything ever but if I had to choose I'd certainly pick .22 in a non-lethal area versus a larger caliber in the same spot.

As a gun enthusiast myself and all this gun nonsense in the media about how terrible they are, this is an awesome story about how anyone can benefit from owning one. Even if it is a PINK .38, it will still save your life and those around you when called upon to do its job.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22/armed-beauty-queen-fatally-shoots-intruder-florida-home-invasion/#ixzz1HNTXyuWL

As a gun enthusiast myself and all this gun nonsense in the media about how terrible they are, this is an awesome story about how anyone can benefit from owning one. Even if it is a PINK .38, it will still save your life and those around you when called upon to do its job.

http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz1HNTXyuWL

For every story like that there are probably 1000 untold ones where a crime is deterred by simply making a would be attacker aware that he's going up against a gun...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22/armed-beauty-queen-fatally-shoots-intruder-florida-home-invasion/#ixzz1HNTXyuWL

I saw that. I was impressed.

Eh good point, 100 yards is actually pretty close. I can't say I'd want to be shot with anything ever but if I had to choose I'd certainly pick .22 in a non-lethal area versus a larger caliber in the same spot.

16 guage shot gun about 120 yards i didnt measure maybe more, bird shot, stung a little, left some marks, not to bad though and yes i did try it!

now that i think about it me and my buddy should have used a video camera, and put that on you tubes!

Edited by camaro_dude15

16 guage shot gun about 120 yards i didnt measure maybe more, bird shot, stung a little, left some marks, not to bad though and yes i did try it!

now that i think about it me and my buddy should have used a video camera, and put that on you tubes!

:pfp:

But a rifle or handgun is a totally different can of worms. Shotgun is designed for closer range. Hence turkeys at 40 yds and not 200 yds. So i can easily see that 120 yds with bird shot is not going to hurt much worse than a pellet gun.

For every story like that there are probably 1000 untold ones where a crime is deterred by simply making a would be attacker aware that he's going up against a gun...

There are actually plenty of stories like this where responsible gun-owners have prevented a crime and possible harm to themselves, their family, and even strangers because of the simple fact that they had their weapon on them and knew how to use it. The problem is we rarely hear about these stories, of which there are plenty (don't have time to get the statistics right now, but they're out there, and they're significant). Those who followed the 2010 version of this thread were subjected to many long posts where I outlined some of my personal feelings on the subject so I will refrain from reiterating them in any real detail. Suffice it to say, I will likely never be convinced that taking guns out of the hands of citizens is an effective method of gun control. It will not make our society safer.

Our police officers and other peacekeepers play a very real, viable role in our society. Some of the things these people have to deal with would make most people curl up into a quivering ball on the floor, frozen from fear and unable to react in any meaningful way. Of course there are bad apples among these people are there are bad apples throughout society, but for the most part these folks deal with our society's trash. Our very dangerous trash. That being said, if the general public was stripped of there rights to own weapons there can realistically be only one outcome: the general public is less safe than it was before. If the only people "allowed" by law to possess a firearm were those police officers/peacekeepers then you can be assured there would be two groups, not one, possessing them, those peacekeepers and criminals. The only one harmed would be people like myself and many others on here I'm sure who choose to abide by the laws our society has set forth despite any personal misgivings we might have about them. Criminals? Eh, not so much. Many are not allowed to own weapons now as convicted felons, funny that these same felons many times end up being caught with another gun.

If someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night or approaches you on the street when you're walking back to your car after an event they are certainly not going to pause while you say, "Hey, hold on a second, I need to call the police before you continue with your felonious activity." Sorry, not going to happen. The police may be five minutes away, they may be thirty minutes away. Chances are by the time they arrive you're no longer going to have any need for their services other than to file a police report, or worse. Personally, I decided some time ago that the person who has the most responsibility for the protection of my family and myself was me. There are few instances that dictate a deadly force response, but they are real and they do exist and should you find yourself in one of these situations and you cannot flee then unfortunately chances are you are in for a world of hurt.

No, everyone should not carry a gun. If you know you are not one of them that is fine and I commend you for realizing the extent of your ability to cause harm to another person. That is honorable and in no way makes that person any less of a "man" or a "wuss." The most difficult thing people can do is kill another person, psychologically speaking, unless you're just part of the 2% of the population that would be labeled a sociopath. The flip side of this is that those who choose to accept the responsibility of carrying a weapon must do so with the conviction that they are able to do what might be necessary in a situation which required you to draw your weapon. It is not an easy thing to do and there will be consequences, both physical and psychological. But I think I'll refrain from dragging on this post any longer than it already has been, as I did not mean to write this much when I began writing. If there are those that would like to discuss anything further I am of course always pleased to take part in any honest and civilized discourse on this and any other issue.

And if you only want to own a gun for the purpose of recreational or competitive shooting, then these considerations likely will not apply. Always make sure you're safe as you do so and you will find very rewarding and challenging activity (and expensive!). There will always be those on one side of the gun control debate and those on the other, the important part is that both sides at least interact decently and listen genuinely, or else you might as well save yourself the trouble of conversing in the first place. Some find themselves on one side because of statistics while others find themselves there because of a personal life experience. Let's all remember to treat each other in a civilized fashion even if you disagree with what they are saying. The 2010 thread managed to continue because most everyone involved treated everyone else with respect, let's not get this one shut down. Bowtie's got his eye on us. whistling.gif

New year...new build.

5253562548_283ff830ce_z.jpg

5252951731_7b26c895b6_z.jpg

Custom build with mostly spare parts I had laying around. I bought 3 lowers last year and while waiting for my NFA stamp to come back...I put that little guy together. I swapped the stock and rail covers out last week, but that's par for the course with this hobby.

Thanks

I don't think I'd ever keep a loaded gun in my home. Store guns and ammo separately. Might I get robbed? Sure, but most likely they'll do so in broad daylight while I'm at work.

As for a weapon on my person, I see no real point; I don't think a felon would give me the time to draw a firearm. I'd think a martial art (Krav Maga?) would be much more effective in these types of situations.

I'd think a martial art (Krav Maga?) would be much more effective in these types of situations.

Disabling someone holding a firearm with a karate chop only works in the movies :) :)