Starcraft II

tkrow21

Macro is all it takes, but you still need to do intel to build the right stuff. Try to be as efficient as you can with drone production, expanding and mining. You want to have scouts by the watch towers, and wherever you can be attacked from. As a zerg you are better off not making offensive units until you need them, or are going to attack yourself.

Edited by Fatedmeeting

Timing is important. Get yourself a good strategy that you like and practice practice practice. Refine it. Watching your replays is important as well (wins as well as losses) you can learn a lot about timings from replays. Watch pro player's replays too and try to copy their timings and builds if you want to. Keep money low which can be quite hard at the silver levels but always be building stuff, if you get into the thousands (and I know you do) build extra stuff just for the sake of spending the money, aka MACRO.

Broad plan is important. Have a plan and follow it. Don't get into too many details. You can say something like "I want to get mutalisks-zergling and expand a bunch to many different locations in order to abuse my mobility, and then I want to get a bunch of corruptors and harass." Those kinds of things. Also think about when you want to build certain key structures and units in order to stay alive. The best way is to choose a random point in a game and start getting something at that point and after the game you look at the replay and decide if maybe you needed that thing earlier cuz you died to fast, or if when you got it, you didn't really need it so you can get it later... etc.

Micro isn't important. Unless you're in top Diamond/Master league, micro won't win you any games ~80% of the time. Focus more on building units and having more stuff than your opponent rather than focusing more on placing each zealot in exactly the line you wanted them to. The only micro thing you SHOULD do, is make sure that your melee attacking units stay at the front of all the ranged units. That way more of your army can participate in the battle, otherwise it doesn't matter if you have 100 food of speed zerglings if they are all being blocked by a bunch of roaches or whatever.

Upgrades are important. The reason that I'm making a separate paragraph for the upgrades is because not too many people will be upgrading in Silver-Gold and low Plat so make sure you start getting used to building those double Evolution Chambers, or at least one and get many upgrades, but also lots of units. That will really help you until you get to the point where you start playing vs players that upgrade a lot too. At that point you need to start deciding when to get the Chambers and upgrades which will become a part of your strategy. Until then it will be more like a tactic or rather a sneaky-like thing because people as I said won't be upgrading too much and won't be prepared for other players that upgrade and will find themselves loosing battles that they would normally have the advantage in.

Downloading SC 2 right now.

Have never played either SC 1 or 2 before.

I can't wait to get started but I gotta say I am intimidated by the learning curve.

yes, there is in fact quite a bit of learning to be done if you wanna be even slightly good.

I started playing it from day 1 and honestly, I'm not that good at all. Before that I had never played any RTS online vs real people. My RTS experience before starcraft 2 was the following: Warcraft 3 (ROC & TFT) campaigns, StarCraft 1 Terran Campaign. That's it.

It really depends on what your expectations and objectives are. I'm aiming for the Master League and I'll be damned if I don't get there one day. It's costing me quite a bit of time and stress along with probably my chances of entering into College cuz let's just say that my priorities aren't exactly focused on studying as much as they are on strats for sc2. This is my interpretation of 'Fun'. If you just wanna play casually and have fun without being super competitive, you might still find the game fun from the lower leagues.