Starcraft II

tkrow21

yes, there is in fact quite a bit of learning to be done if you wanna be even slightly good.

I started playing it from day 1 and honestly, I'm not that good at all. Before that I had never played any RTS online vs real people. My RTS experience before starcraft 2 was the following: Warcraft 3 (ROC & TFT) campaigns, StarCraft 1 Terran Campaign. That's it.

It really depends on what your expectations and objectives are. I'm aiming for the Master League and I'll be damned if I don't get there one day. It's costing me quite a bit of time and stress along with probably my chances of entering into College cuz let's just say that my priorities aren't exactly focused on studying as much as they are on strats for sc2. This is my interpretation of 'Fun'. If you just wanna play casually and have fun without being super competitive, you might still find the game fun from the lower leagues.

Ya, I hope to take it a bit more casual than that lol

My objective is to have fun.

Don't lose focus on college man,, I wish I didn't.

Life > Video Game Stats

Edited by feetfats

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I can't stop playing this game.

Same.

In general it's really awesome, and since I'm not playing competitively, I've switched my race to Protoss for fun.

So far I dropped 10 ranks on ladder, but I don't really care. :P

The best thing though IMO is the community - tons of tournaments with huge prize pools almost daily, a lot of community content, and just a general active group of people makes the game so worth it.

Same.

In general it's really awesome, and since I'm not playing competitively, I've switched my race to Protoss for fun.

So far I dropped 10 ranks on ladder, but I don't really care. :P

The best thing though IMO is the community - tons of tournaments with huge prize pools almost daily, a lot of community content, and just a general active group of people makes the game so worth it.

I enter tournaments every week. Free of charge, but with a small prize pool. Like 20 bucks for first place, stuff like that. ASCW tournament on Wednesday, HyperCrew tournament on Friday, CraftCup on Saturday and ESL tournament on Sunday.

Haven't won a single one yet. I get beat by the master league players.

I enter tournaments every week. Free of charge, but with a small prize pool. Like 20 bucks for first place, stuff like that. ASCW tournament on Wednesday, HyperCrew tournament on Friday, CraftCup on Saturday and ESL tournament on Sunday.

Haven't won a single one yet. I get beat by the master league players.

I've never played in a tournament for Starcraft II, I don't really see myself improving to a decent level, which pretty much defeats the purpose of being competitive in the first place (IMO).

It's pretty sweet though that you're participating in them - keep at it along with some practice and you're bound to get a win eventually.

I've never played in a tournament for Starcraft II, I don't really see myself improving to a decent level, which pretty much defeats the purpose of being competitive in the first place (IMO).

It's pretty sweet though that you're participating in them - keep at it along with some practice and you're bound to get a win eventually.

I just lost the first round of this Sunday's ESL to ThisIsJimmy. It was expected that someone like him would show up. The prize was 200$ for first place.

I think tournaments are a good way to improve because you get to play vs players that you normally wouldn't on the ladder (like the Master leaguers I get placed with all the time) and then when you watch the replays of those games, you can improve a lot since you are benchmarking yourself vs what is supposed to be perfection or at least a very high level of play (otherwise they wouldn't be "Masters" rite).

From this last game I just played, I noticed that I could have done some serious damage (if not killed), if I had only attacked in the early game when attacks normally occur. Instead I was way too passive which I have a habit of doing since I'm very paranoid of sneaky noob attacks n such but normally when I watch the replays later I see that I could have indeed attacked without any chance of a counter. So now that I played vs this top player I know that it's actually pretty damn safe to attack in the early game, and I'll try to practice that.

From this last game I just played, I noticed that I could have done some serious damage (if not killed), if I had only attacked in the early game when attacks normally occur. Instead I was way too passive which I have a habit of doing since I'm very paranoid of sneaky noob attacks n such but normally when I watch the replays later I see that I could have indeed attacked without any chance of a counter. So now that I played vs this top player I know that it's actually pretty damn safe to attack in the early game, and I'll try to practice that.

On a replay of a game I played I had made a push towards the enemy base and got through the main defense of the enemy base. I thought he had more defense closer to his main production area so i didn't push any further and took some time to beef up my army as I was down to 2 or 3 zealots. when I watched the video i realized he had nothing left and I could have wiped him out completly but instead he recovered and kicked my butt. lol

I think the best way to go about this is to just practice really good unit control and to be able to be constantly poking at the front of the enemy player's base without actually losing any units or getting into a real conflict. It gives you map control, puts your opponent on edge, and may cause his to overproduce fighting units (especially as Zerg).