Far Cry Movie

silkster

Backing up DVDs is an interesting conundrum. On the one hand, you have fair use that allows you to make backups of the movie for personal use. On the other hand, the DMCA makes breaking the DVD's CSS encryption illegal. So essentially, you have to commit an illegal act in order to exercise your legal rights. Deliciously evil, if I may say so myself.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Backing up DVDs is an interesting conundrum. On the one hand, you have fair use that allows you to make backups of the movie for personal use. On the other hand, the DMCA makes breaking the DVD's CSS encryption illegal. So essentially, you have to commit an illegal act in order to exercise your legal rights. Deliciously evil, if I may say so myself.

That's true too, kinda forgot about that occasionaly struggle with the encryption.

DVDDecrypter isn't always up to it :D

• 2 weeks later...

what if someone just claim that they had wireless router installed, and someone else is DL/UL the movie? it'll be the same IP address anyways

That excuse doesnt fly anymore sadly

what if someone just claim that they had wireless router installed, and someone else is DL/UL the movie? it'll be the same IP address anyways

You joined today just to post this question? I'm guessing you googled "Uwe Boll Lawsuit" or "Far Cry Lawsuit" bcuz you were looking for help ey?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ia3e81d4dc935f423aef090323c40270a

Oh crap.. Another film!

why not? it might be a bad idea to not have a secure wireless connection, but it happens a lot everywhere

I personally spoke to an IP lawyer last week and asked him about that.. it won't work. The account holder is responsible for his own network.

• 2 weeks later...

good movie bad movie, don't matter.

download copyrighted material and you're subjecting yourself to a potential lawsuit.

even people in a 3rd world country probably know this by now, nobody should be surprised.

edit: but with that said, I wonder....what if the op owned a legal copy of the movie, but wanted to torrent a copy for backup? Kinda like how it's not illegal to torrent a copy of windows as long as the person has their own legit copy.