Far Cry Movie

silkster

It's not the downloading that gets you in trouble. With torrenting you are uploading the file as you are downloading it. It's the uploading of the file to other people that is what they try and sue you over, akin to burning a copy of a DVD and giving it to someone else.

I think it would just be cheaper for production companies to make movies that people are willing to pay for, so they don't have to worry about making up for their losses with lawsuits. A lot of people who torrent movies also pay to see them in theaters, and some even buy it on DVD or blu-ray when it comes out on video. And the production companies are using flawed logic in their lawsuits. They say that people who are illegally downloading the movies would otherwise pay for it... that's just not true - they know it, we know it, and they know that we know that they know it. If the file isn't available to torrent, people aren't going to go out and just buy the movie. They'll likely just pass it up and go on to another movie.

These lawsuits also have the effect of turning away people who would otherwise pay for the movie. I was going to get my dad The Hurt Locker on Blu-ray for Fathers Day. I'm not going to do that now. I drove to another city and paid to see the Hurt Locker in theaters... and I'm sorry I ever did. The hurt Locker folks are going after torrenters to make up for their failures in the marketing and distribution of their movie. I had to make a 45 minute road trip to see The Hurt Locker, and I live in a larger metropolitan area. Maybe some people just didn't want to drive to another state to see the movie (which really wasn't as good as the media made it out to be)? Maybe they didn't feel like waiting several months after it was out of theaters to rent or buy it? I saw the movie in July 2009 in theaters. By time Christmas 2009 had rolled around, it was no longer in theaters and still wasn't due for a video release until I think February of this year... I've never seen a full Uwe Boll movie, but one thing is for sure, I will never spend a penny to see a Uwe Boll movie in the future, and I fall cleanly into his movies' target market.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some Mass Effect movie buzz. I better not see Uwe Boll as the director or anything else. Video game movies shouldn't be this difficult to hit. Mass Effect has everything right in place to transition into a great movie.

There is some Mass Effect movie buzz. I better not see Uwe Boll as the director or anything else. Video game movies shouldn't be this difficult to hit. Mass Effect has everything right in place to transition into a great movie.

Yes Max Payne was horrible!!! How do you F that up? All you have to do is stick to the storyline of the game....heck you could almost just copy the game script word for word to the movie that game was so good. I mean they didn't even include a scene where he took his painkillers ya know!!!???

Yes Max Payne was horrible!!! How do you F that up? All you have to do is stick to the storyline of the game....heck you could almost just copy the game script word for word to the movie that game was so good. I mean they didn't even include a scene where he took his painkillers ya know!!!???

I forgot about max payne.....thanks for bringing it back...no sleep for me tonight.

Add Silent Hill and Doom to the terrible list

I forgot about max payne.....thanks for bringing it back...no sleep for me tonight.

Add Silent Hill and Doom to the terrible list

I actually though SIlent Hill was pretty good. Doom was just horrible though.....not that Doom had a good storyline to begin with though.

I just had an idea, I am going to make an album building up a lot of hype around it even knowing that its crap, purposely putting it up on a bit torrent site then taking everyone to court for downloading it, I could make hundreds of thousands more that way than actually selling the album. :rolleyes:

Silent Hill was just weird it didn't make any sense Max Payne was one of the worst game to movies I have ever seen.

Well I'd imagine it's a tough situation either way for the movie music or software industry if they don't do anything there probably going to loose money and if they do something they get negative press about it either way the out come isn't that good.

This doesn't affect whether the OP will or won't actually get sued - but I'm squarely in LoArms corner on this one. Smart use of P2P networks could actually improve gross revenue for multimedia companies if the product they are putting out for consumption is worth having in the first place. I firmly believe that if you download a movie or music that is less than stellar quality - and assuming that you like the content - you might actually go out and buy the DVD, Album or CD.

All of these clowns havent figured it out yet. Why not capitalize on the bandwidth of a thousand computers and dozens of networks to improve download speeds and then require a subscription fee or "pay per download" scheme? For really good content I don't have any doubt that the ability to "try it before you buy it" results in increased revenue for the producers, financial backers, artists, distribution links etc. that make up the pipe line. There are some great music and movies out there that just don't have the budgets to put on a huge advertising blitz to draw the crowds. Exposure via P2P sharing should be a valid and legit way of trying to reach a target audience.

It will be interesting to see how the anti-P2P organizations will defend file sharing where someone has downloaded something but only shared say like 40mb of uploaded data. I wonder if that constitutes a crime.

To the OP - your best defense here is to cave in and agree to a highly reduced settlement prior to going to court to defend yourself. The problem is that even if you're lucky and happened to "win" the case, you are still going to be out literally thousands of dollars in legal fees + personal time. And I promise that by the time this is all said and done it will turn into a media circus and you're name might be appearing in some places where you'd rather not see it and possibly in an unflattering light.

The only chance a class action suit like this would have is if all defendents banded together and hired some high powered legal firm to try and squash the whole subpeona on some legal or constitutional grounds.

Pirate case in point. A friend burned me a copy of Oblivion several years ago. I had never played a Bethesda game before, and Bethesda's lack of DRM made it easy to pirate the game. I h ad no idea what to expect from it as I had never gotten into RPGs before. I played through Oblivion on PC and loved the game so much, that when I bought my Xbox 360, the first game I purchased for it was Oblivion. When Knights of the Nine was released, I bought it for PC and Xbox360. When Shivering Isles came out, I bought it for PC. Bethesda got a lot of money out of me because they made a product that I believed was worth buying. Had I not played the pirated copy of Oblivion first, I would have never gotten addicted to the game, and the future expansions that I wound up buying would have never been purchased.

Pirate case in point. A friend burned me a copy of Oblivion several years ago. I had never played a Bethesda game before, and Bethesda's lack of DRM made it easy to pirate the game. I h ad no idea what to expect from it as I had never gotten into RPGs before. I played through Oblivion on PC and loved the game so much, that when I bought my Xbox 360, the first game I purchased for it was Oblivion. When Knights of the Nine was released, I bought it for PC and Xbox360. When Shivering Isles came out, I bought it for PC. Bethesda got a lot of money out of me because they made a product that I believed was worth buying. Had I not played the pirated copy of Oblivion first, I would have never gotten addicted to the game, and the future expansions that I wound up buying would have never been purchased.

:withstupid::cheers: