Far Cry Movie

silkster

So yea.. Verizon letter came in the other day from the legal department stating that the District of Columbia wants them to hand over information to sue me :(

Anyone else ever gotten a subpoena like this? Verizon states I can send "motion to quash" to them before the court date, will I need a lawyer for this?? =\

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Edited by silkster

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yea.. Verizon letter came in the other day from the legal department stating that the District of Columbia wants them to hand over information to sue :(

Anyone else ever gotten a subpoena like this? Verizon states I can send "motion to quash" to them before the court date, will I need a lawyer for this?? =\

Seems to me that you're being sued for pirating a movie(You cheeky monkey) and whoever is suing you is currently trying to get evidence from your ISP. Re-read the letter to see if it mentions who filed against you(contact Verizon if it doesn't, they may have more info) and go find yourself a lawyer.

Also, wikianswers on motion to squash: A motion to quash is often used for suppressing service of a summons/complaint or warrant or other legal proceedings (discovery of evidence) due to such things as lack of jurisdiction, wrong identification of a person, unlawful basis, keeping confidential files secret, etc.

I'd say that's probably a good thing to get a lawyers help with. God Speed, Silkster.

All of this fuss for torrenting a crappy movie like Far Cry?

Kinda funny isn't it? Well in that horribly depressing kind of way. I mean good movie I could understand...but Uwe Boll's Far Cry? Jesus Silkster...

But really now, how else are they supposed to make money off of that steaming pile o' failure?

My friend Greg got a letter from his ISP a few years back for aparently downloading movies off some site. He was a little confused, so he called them and had it out with them, only to finally figure out that his wireless router wasn't secured and he had someone leaching off his connection. They dropped the issue.

Edited by Rokkaholik

This isn't good you should get a lawyer right away your in for quite a headache.

What typically happens is this an anti piracy organization goes out there and puts out copyrighted files or joins bit torrent swarms and then try's to get someone to connect to them to download copyrighted files once the person has connected to them they log IP address from them which is the evidence they need in order to start a lawsuit against someone. Once they choose a person they want to sue they take the IP address to court and give it a John Doe name. When the court date comes obviously the accused does not show up in court to defend himself because he has not been informed to do so the judge grants a request to Sophenia the ISP who owns the accused IP address to hand over subscribers name. At this point which I believe your current at the ISP sends you a warning letter usually stating that your person information is being requested and you have a certain amount of time usually 30 days to send a lawyer on your behalf to squash the sophenia. If your lawyer is unsuccessful your person information is handed over to the anti piracy organization who is after you. Once they know your name they typically contact you and inform you of the charges against you and typically offer to settle with a fine that is usually a few thousand dollars. If you say no thats when they take you to court and try to sue you for millions.

Edited by fire_storm

Now from the other perspective, isn't the publisher deliberately putting their work out into a torrent network to catch thieves a lot like 'entrapment' of some sort?

It is however usually using the entrapment defense is usually not enough to throw the case out of court when it comes to copyright infringement cases. The anti p2p companies use other methods to get evidence against illegal down loaders like they join Bitorent swarms and try to connect to as many people as possible and log there IP addresses or in cases like Limewire they connect to a music uploader and try to download as much content from them in order to build a case against them.